Hurricane

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunseri Farms

Reaction score
Here we go again.

Getting ready for hurricane. Seems to be coming right over us. I have 13 horses,2 llamas, 60 chickens, peafowl. Guess we will stay up.

Traffic flow is all north.

Any suggestions on bedding down the animals?

Joyce

Wow, I sure don't envy you. Sorry, I don't have any suggestions as I've never lived in hurrican country. I hope you come through the storm ok. Where are you located?

Sending good wishes your way.....

Frankly, you're in a no win situation. Just like being in the path of a tornado -- which do you do? Close them in or let them run? Either way, it's a gamble.

We live in an area that doesn't get the wind type storms, but there will be forest fires not too many miles from us. We've already established our emergency plan for that since we live in a valley of irrigated pastures...... For US, it would be safer for our animals if we set them loose on the green irrigated pastures incase we ever had to run from a fire.

If I was smart, I'd make sure I had halters for each animal (horses and llamas) with ID tags attached.....but I haven't gotten around to doing it.....yet.

Please let us know that things are okay when you can......

MA

Keep safe to all who are in the hurricane's path and will be saying prayers for you and your animals. Good luck.

The best of luck to all of you who are in the path. Stay safe! Please check in as soon as you are able.

Barbie

Katrina is now a major cat 5!!!
new_shocked.gif
Weather channel just said it may be worse than Andrew(Florida 1992)! Batten down the hatches!! I'm praying for you all down there.

They are comparing Katrina to hurricane Camille which hit down there in 1961. Please be safe!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry to say I have not been as informed with this storm as I have have the others.

But, please be safe and keep us up to date.

You should leave breakaway halters on each horse. On each halter there should be your name and a phone number. If it's not too late get a grease pen and write the same info on each horse. Leave fly mask on to give them some protection from debri. Be prepared for fences to be down. I'm sure you've put aside enough water and hay to carry you through several days. Also, even though you have batteries, your radio and tv stations may loose towers and sustain building damgage making them unable to broadcast news and information. IOW, don't be surprised if you don't hear from them for a few days. Do you have a way to euthanize an animal if it sustains a mortal injury?? As owners in harms way we (collective) must consider this since our veterinarians may have evacuated w/ their families or be unable to reach us due to storm damage.

Does someome outside the area have your phone number??? Stay safe and know we will be hoping you stay safe with all your critters.

Actually from other things I have read, use non toxic spray paint and put your phone number on your horses and llamas bodies, a halter with all the information can come off and be lost. You best bet is try to leave but if you can't the isn't much you can do for the poultry as small as they are. I would just be best to pack them all up if you have a trailer and move them out. But I am sure you can't with 13 horses. Just make sure you stay safe and our prayers will be with you.

I am keeping you all in my prayers and knowing that God will hold you in His Hands. I know Chrsity DArmond and Karin(Nakir) are in the path. God help them and everyone it Katrina's way. We need to all pray that this thing loses stregnth now!! They are evacuating New Orleans!

All those in the path will be in my prayers tonight.

and SkipsMom & minimomNC I appreciate very much your preparations suggestions.

Charlotte

How scary for you.

I dont have any other suggestions other then the non toxic paint even in wildfires in So Cal we found that was the easiest way to later identify and find your animals

I am sending Prayers for you and all of GOD`s creatures in the path of this storm.....so many people don`t think of their animals in times of disaster..so very happy that you care!!
wub.gif

Our farm is in Florida, we have had lots of hurricane practice lately. Spraypaint your name and

phone # on each horse, be careful of halters that can become caught on things and most of all

fill every bucket, tub wheelbarrow with water. We were without electric for 9 days last year, which meant no water either for the horses.

Get ready and tie everything loose down, Good Luck, we'll be waiting to hear from you.

Stay safe...we are thinking and praying for you all!!! We have been watching this on tv...God be with you!!! We will be waiting to hear from you.

Lisa

For everyone in the hurricane's path, Please be safe! My prayers are with you.
yes.gif
Living in Florida, I know first hand how horrible these hurricanes can be. Please check in when you can! We're all thinking of you!

Well, I just came in from taking care of picking up anything that will "Fly" away and whatever else I can think of to do. They say that Katrina is going to most likely be similar to Hurricane Andrew. It was a big mess here when he came through. We had LOTS of limbs, several trees down and many tree where the tops snapped right off. It was very discouraging when you looked at all the mess. After picking up all the limbs, my husband and I basically had to rake the WHOLE yard to get all the sticks up. Our yard is about 2 acres. Needless to say, we had plenty of firewood! Right now it is just breezy. Kinda nice. Tomorrow during the day is when things will start to get nasty. I normally lock my horses up at night but for fear of flying tin or trees falling on the building, I have left all the gates open so that they can make a run for it should they need to. I feel this is the safest thing for them. Since my husband isn't here anymore, I am not looking forward to having to clean up whatever damage occurs. I guess I'll have to hire help - if I can find someone. Everyone will busy with their own problems. I just hope that Katrina turns out to not be as bad as Andrew. Guess I'll find out tomorrow! Keep us all in Katrina path in your thoughts and prayers. I am sure many will them.

Karin,

I've sure been thinking abt you guys down there all day. I could see the clouds on the edge of the storm coming in from our south. I'm worried abt all of you and will be praying for your safety!

Debi

Will be thinking and praying for all of you in Katrina's path. Please do everything you can to stay safe.

Robin

Latest posts

Back