Hurricane

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
We are expecting a hurricane. Should I bring the horses in the barn or leave them out? I have a mare due to foal. And 3 other mares and a stallion.

We are having mandatory evacuation in certain areas!!!!

Will be interested in replies as it is headed our way too. I think every situation will be a bit different and I am sure glad I don't have a mare due to foal or have to worry about mandatory evacuation. Wind, flooding, and power loss will be the big issues here, so in our case the horses with stalls will probably be better off inside our timber frame barn. Any that don't have stalls can still get into the barn and be protected and I will make sure those all have fly masks to protect their eyes from blowing stuff. Planning to fill the big Rubbermaid tub with water, but we also have a brook and I expect there will be plenty of water there for the horses. Our big horse only has a (sturdy) run in, but it has a tarp over the front and I am quite sure the water won't reach him. Fly mask and breakaway halter on him. Will close off pastures to minimize the chance of anyone getting loose and just in case, will close the gate at the end of the driveway. Not looking forward to bailing several inches of water where it ALWAYS floods outside one stall.

Now we have lots of trees so where to park vehicles is a bigger issue! The last major hurricane to hit here was in 1991 when we were on vacation. We returned to a different home to find our back yard FULL of downed trees - but none hit the house.

I don't know what to suggest.

We had a tornado touch down on Sunday, last, about 25 miles from us. It devastated the town of Goderich, Ontario and it looked like a war zone.

Wishing you all the best and safety for all
default_no.gif

My horses went through both Katrina/Rita and Gustov. Both times I let my horses have access to go out in to the pasture. Surprisingly most stood out in the pasture with their butts against the blowing rain. They have a keen sense of hearing. They would take off running if a limb/tree top was about to fall. If they would have been under a roof a tree could have easily fallen on the building and maybe been hurt or killed. Most seem to have a sixth sense about where they need to be to feel safe.

We are about 5 miles east of Delaware Bay which connects to Atlantic Ocean about 20 miles south of here.We are expecting lots of wind and rain.My house is over 100 years old and my barn is an old dairy barn put together with [pegs.It has been here through many storms so I'm saying my prayers.I am planning to bring all horses in and put in stalls.I have several muck buckets filled with water and plan to fill more.went and got gas for generator.We are expecting the worse Sat night into Sunday mid morning.Planning to hook my small 32 horse trailer to my van and park next to the barn to block some wind on barn windows.I am really stressed.Not sure what we will do with sheep.All have run in sheds but open to side where storm will probably be at its worst.My 2 Corgis will be in the house with me-coon dogs and Beagles will be out in kennel and pens.Just worried about flying debris.Saying lots of prayers.

During bad storms we always allow our horses access to the barn AND the outdoor runs/pasture. Most of the time they prefer to stand outside and weather the storm. Trying to lock them in causes anxiety. They seem to feel trapped when they are locked in during scary weather.

I can appreciate all the stress you are feeling with regard to your horses in a hurricane. I've lived in south Florida all my life, and I'm sick and tired of worrying about getting a hurricane. Every year it's the same old dread.

We had horses in the l960s, and when one of the big hurricanes came through, Governor Bob Graham was kind enough to let all the horse owners in the area turn their horses out in his big cow pasture. It was a BIG cow pasture and at that time there wasn't much urban development around so there wasn't much debris to be flying around. The horses turned their butts to the wind and put their heads down. I had a Paint at the time. He was SOOOOOO clean after that hurricane. Everybody made it through just fine. I think the key here was the fact that it was an open field with no trees and there wasn't any flying debris. We also had horses when Andrew came through. It was a catagory 5. I'm sure you've seen pictures of the devastation. Fortunately for me we were allowed to stable our horses at Tropical Race Course. It is a concrete barn with a concrete roof. All of our horses were okay. It sounds like Irene is not going to be anywhere near that strong. For some of the smaller hurricanes that have come through here I've left my horses in the barn. They have been okay. We picked up what loose items we could around the property and hoped for the best. The barns that I have stabled in all these years have stood up to the winds well.

I certainly don't know what your individual situations are, but I will hope and pray that you guys are okay. At least hurricanes give us time to prepare. I feel so bad for the folks that have tornados. They have precious little warning. Good luck and I wish you the best!

Ugh!! They are evacuating. I think my are wont have to be evacuated though. So everyone is coming here. Not sure what to do with the horses right now. The preger one is defiantly coming in!!!

Well we are setting up temporary stalls in the indoor, as I have a lot of trees that may fall, all of my guys that are in high risk areas are coming in, the rest that have run ins close to the house and no trees will stay out. The wind for me is the highest risk. I've stocked up on water and the generator is ready to roll if needed. We also repaced batteries in the camping lamps and set candle out. Have new books to read, and my grand son is here so he even has a book. Lots of board games if needed. Good Luck to all,a nd God Bless Us here on the east coast.

We'll be leaving our horses in their stalls.

filling all the water tubs incase we loose elec.

we do have horses in 3 different barns but due to our own downsizing they

can all go in 1 barn so we only have 1 barn to go to.

We only have 7 horses at home here.

also stocking up on batteries, propane for camping stove, again to be able to make coffee (staple of life LOL) and maybe cook a little w/o the elec if we loose it

filling the bath tubs for water to flush the toilet. And will be filling my iced tea pitcher with water because everytime I remember to fill it we don't loose our electric. LOL Hope its all for nothing and this storm peters out. Fingers crossed

Thinking of all you guys and praying it wont be as bad as they say.

Last night with our warnings I put everybody in the barn as that is what they are used to and that

is where they wanted to be and I closed all the top doors so nothing would fly in and clicked the breaker for the barn.

Thinking of you all during this very stressful time. When in Florida I left mine out with halter and tags braided in the their manes. I'd have the pregnant mare very close to me so I could check on her regularly and try to keep her as least stressed as possible. Be safe.

Karen

Praying for all you guys who may get hit the hardest! Stay safe everyone!

I live in Maine, so we will HOPEFULLY just be getting some high winds and the rain. Either way my babies will be inside the barn. I get nervous though no matter where I put them, (in or out) there are big pine trees all around. We could always bring them in the basement but theres trees around the house too...
default_ohnoes.jpg
We will be filling up as many water buckets as possible, stocking up on anything else needed in the barn. Have the generator ready and lots of little activities to do!

Praying for you & yours... that all will go well.

I'm on my way to Delaware right now to pick up my two horses at the trainers. I will get there and sleep a few hours and head back to PA. I'm creating a lot of work for myself but my motto Is " Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best!"

Here in central Maryland, we have a Tropical Storm Warning in effect. According to what I've just read, that means about 15-40% chance we'll have Tropical Storm level event. We don't have to worry about flooding where we are (roads around us may flood but our property is above any flood areas) but high winds can mean flying debris and loss of power. In 2003, we had a tornado come through our area, including through our property....just feet from our house. It was a terrifying experience (our Golden woke me up @ 3am and that allowed me to hear it coming...we made it to the basement just as it got to us). Our horses will be left loose to allow them to choose if they want to be in our out. I do worry about debris. We will be filling up everything possible with water in anticipation of power loss. We have a 50 and 100 gallon troughs along with muck buckets and standard size buckets. For us, the worse is scheduled to occur on Saturday night into Sunday afternoon.

Prayers that every one, every where come through unscathed.

Thanks for the prayers. Very stressful since this is the first time I have been through this as an adult. I went and bought what I needed.

I have a shleter the horses love going in. THey run to it when any weather happend. So might just let them go in thier. Ugh!! I am so stressed.

My father and sister are directly along the coast. My dad is coming up and I cant convince my sister to leave. It is mandatory evacuation!!!

Anyone along the coast that wants to stay with us please feel free to PM me. It is going to hit us but not as bad as the shore counties.

Will keep everyone posted. Thanks sooooo much

I"ve been through a LOT of hurricanes and never in a million years would I ever leave my horses to stand out in that.

For those that have to evacuate, find a boarding stable in the town wherever you are heading to out of the storm and please don't leave your house pets behind alone.

If anyone needs shelter for their horses away from the storm I have space for two horses here in Tennessee.

Good luck to all.

I have been praying that Irene didn't head west to the Gulf and luckily it didn't but I am hoping you all stay safe from the storm! Hurricanes were the biggest "no deal" factor for me deciding to move to Florida and now that I am in my 1st real Hurricane season here, I am scared...(even tho this one will miss us).
default_unsure.png

I don't know which is better for the horses...in or out...would depend on your shelter/trees situation I think. But, one thing I have read to do is leave your horses' halters ON with a tag or ribbon attached with your name/phone number on it in case your fencing comes down and they get loose.

I did learn some new things to do in a major storm thanks to you all that have been thru hurricanes before (thanks Diane!), so will "try" to remember to do those things if we ever get in a situation where we need to do them.

PLEASE STAY SAFE and PLEASE CHECK IN to let us know you are OK!

Latest posts

Back