Hurricane Relief - Well Meaning Scams?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhyMinis

Reaction score
I was distressed to read the following post on another list. It worrys me that the money that so many thousands of people have donated is not reaching LA and that so many animals have died. Cindy

Forwarded with permission:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

----

Hello all,

I've been lurking for years and this is my first message. We live about 45 miles north of Baton Rouge and only lost power and phones for about 5 days, with minor damage to our barn and house, but all our dogs and 13 horses came out OK, unlike the poor souls to the east and south who have no homes or jobs. For those of you interested in the aftermath of Katrina, and how it affected the equines there, I have an update.

All the animals at City Park Stables had been evacuated prior to the storm hitting. The mules and horses at Mid-City Carriage, which provided the carriage rides in NO are a different story. They were housed in 3 barns, and all the horses and mules drowned in two of the barns. Only 20 animals have survived so far in the third barn, but are still stuck in their stalls. We've volunteered with the LSU vet school to help in rescuing them, but no one is allowed in that area yet. We've also volunteered stalls and two pastures for fostering, but that may not be needed yet.

I'm copying a post today from the rescue organization about donations to help these misplaced equines. There seems to be a lot of scams popping up. Please feel free to crosspost.

Thanks,

Doug

------

Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 08:15:03 -0000

Subject: info about hurricane evacuee horses and scams

I am cross posting this from the Louisiana Equine Council group:

Most of you know me and I am spitting mad to know that there are several sham groups out there collecting money.... maybe LA horses will see some of it, but I am not holding my breath! Be very wary of other groups claiming to be collecting for the relief fund. According to Bonnie we have yet to see any money from any of these groups though at least one has made it clear that they plan to remove horses from our area!

Donations to the Walter Ernst Foundation through the Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association are funding ALL legitimate equine rescue/care in LA (information at bottom of post). Bonnie Clark, President of the LA Equine Council (LEC) and publisher of the LA Horseman's Guide is coordinating the rescue efforts and this is the ONLY group working directly with FEMA, LVMA (LA Veterinary Medical

Assn) and LEC. At the website lvma.org there is a downloadable hurricane donation form. On this form you can specify if you want the money to go to greatest need, animal relief, or veterinarian relief. There is an 800 # below and they may be able to take credit card info over the phone.

Horses being rescued from the New Orleans area are being housed at the Lamar Dixon Expo center in Gonzales where they are receiving care. This is a safe and secure site and within easy distance of the greater NO area.... we do not want horses spread all over the south!

They will NOT be leaving this site, until they are reunited with owners. Some of the organizations claiming to be soliciting aid and funds are already advertising that horses will be available for adoption in several days! This is FALSE!!!! If you hear of horses available for purchase or foster from our disaster area, be aware that they have been taken illegally!

Our statewide microchipping plan is helping greatly with the identification of many of the horses. If your own horses aren't freezebranded or microchipped... run don't walk and get it done!

I have just gotten off the phone with Bonnie Clark who is tirelessly coordinating the effort and staying at the Expo Center. She says that as of tonight (Sunday, Sept 4th) if you are close enough to come to the expo center, she will need more volunteers soon as the LSU Vet School students will be returning to class on Tuesday. Halters and Lead ropes are needed, feed is being purchased as needed (from money from the foundation) and currently there is 2,000 bales of hay on site, so hay is okay for now. Flat back buckets are in short supply. Again, purchases are being made as needed with foundation money so cash donations are wonderful. At some point stock trailers and trucks will be needed to both bring in supplies to owners/horses who are secure and don't need transport out (just help) and to haul out stranded horses. But until at least Tuesday this is taken care of... will post again if more help is needed.

PLEASE cross post this message to other sites, I just don't have time to do it right now. I know that some people want to donate and I hate to see the money going to the wrong hands.

Grace Simcoe

Secretary LEC (Louisiana Equine Council)

-------

Media contact: Dr. Rebecca Adcock 225-578-9826 Dr. Walter J. Ernst, Jr. Veterinary Memorial Foundation And Louisiana Veterinarians Working for Hurricane Katrina Recovery Baton Rouge (9/2/2005) – The devastation in the Southeast Louisiana caused by Hurricane Katrina threatens the lives and health of thousands of pets, livestock and exotic animals as well as the veterinary medical infrastructure in the area. Animals, animal owners and veterinarians have suffered and will suffer further in the weeks and months ahead. The Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association (LVMA) and the Dr. Walter J. Ernst, Jr. Veterinary Memorial Foundation are working to save animals and assist animal owners and veterinarians to recover from the disaster and properly care for pets, horses and livestock.

The Dr. Walter J. Ernst, Jr. Veterinary Memorial Foundation is accepting donations to assist with reducing the impact of the Hurricane Katrina disaster on the health of domestic and agricultural animals and the veterinary medical profession in Louisiana. Donations may be made payable to "WJE Foundation" with a memo of "Hurricane Katrina Fund". Send contributions to 8550 United Plaza Blvd., Suite 1001, Baton Rouge, LA 70809. More information can be obtained at www.lvma.org or call 1-800- 524-2996.

The Dr. Walter J. Ernst, Jr. Veterinary Memorial Foundation was established by the Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association to further the welfare, knowledge and integrity of the profession of veterinary medicine, promote animal well-being and humane treatment, and educate the public and the veterinary profession concerning the health of all animals.

The Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association, founded in 1905, has over 800 member veterinarians who are dedicated to advancing the science and art of veterinary medicine.

Dr. Walter J. Ernst, Jr. Veterinary Memorial Foundation (Federal Tax ID # 72-1507753) 8550 United Plaza Blvd. Suite 1001 Baton Rouge, LA 70809 Toll Free : 1-800-524-2996

Local: 225-928-5862

Fax: 225-408-4422

Cindy,

Thanks for that info.

To update about the carriage horses (and mules) -- there's been some info posted under another thread that I guess 21 animals were trailered out, two died enroute, so 19 survived. They were all in bad shape -- very dehydrated.

Also, it was my understanding that Lone Star was another rescue group that was being recognized by FEMA to take part in going in????

MA

Latest posts

Back