Hurricane Prep with regards to our horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the support. We are still hanging tight!! It is about to hit hard here in NJ really soon!!!

I'm in NH and the rain is now coming down for us. Our horses have been moved not so much due to the storm but we leave for a National 4H event so moved the horses earlier to Surry so that they can be cared for while we are gone. I'm thinking of everyone during this storm!

zoey829, glad you have checked in today.... am so nervous for everyone- the newscasts look awful

Saying prayers for you all and your precious furkids. Like Jane over here in the UK we are following Sandy very closely on the news - the reports coming in are quite horrifying.

Please remember to log in when you can - or contact a friend somehow to report for you - to let us all know that you are safe and sound once the storm has passed.

Stay safe - good luck to you all.

Keeping you all in my thoughts, and praying that everyone makes it through this with minimal damage. Everytime I see a picture of whats happening on the east coast, I cringe. It looks beyond scary!

We have had one death so far in Ontario. The winds are starting to really pick up throughout the province now. Everyone stay safe!

Praying for all of you in the path of this storm. Stay safe and keep your critters safe.

We're doing ok so far the eye has been over us here in southern NJ for a while and things have calmed down although the wind is beginning to pick up again so I'll probably lose the interney again. Horses are all tucked in with lots of hay they've been in since yesterday late afternoon.They are all doing fine.
Lot of wind and rain all day today and last night Just gotta get theough all the wind on the other side of the storm tonight
Knock on wood we have not lost electric
Prayers continue for all in this storms path

Last edited by a moderator:
Humans and criters here are all okay! Power is still on, although lots around us without power. Minimal wind damage, one of my horse huts turned around a blew across the paddock, but it isn't damaged so we can move it back. Horses are still snug in the barn, it's supposed to rain all day and our temps dropped so don't want them getting chilled, will turn out for a bit later to clean stalls.

We we surfaced!!!! We have lucked out big time!!!! Very min damage and we still have power. Thanks for all the prayers and now it is clean up time. My prayers go out the the rest of the folks. Please be safe and limit our outside activity. A lot of down wires and off street lights. Stay safe!

we made it through great just lost electric for an hour

very little wrong a tree down at the back of our property no hurry as its 300' away from everything

and a few loose shingles on our shed

we were very lucky. thanking you all too for the prayers

and sending prayers for those harder hit by this monster storm

Im glad everyone is okay so far! Hope everyone else is too! Ive been thinking of ya'll up north and all of your babys
default_sad.png
Please stay safe. We are praying for ya'll here in Texas!!!!

Here in north central Maryland, we made out well. We only lost power for 3.5 hours. I really didn't believe it would last when it came back on so fast. Kudos to my electric company! In the end, for us, the anticipation turned out to be the most stressful part. During the worst of the storm, was pretty stressful obviously, but it didn't last as long as we expected to.

I have friend in NJ who are dealing with much more...not the hard core catastrophe stuff that some areas up there are facing but bad enough. One friend did get 4" of water on their first floor. Others are without power and will be for some time to come. I want to help but really, there's nothing I can do but lending a shoulder and be there to listen as they talk and vent through their frustration and stress.

My girls spent 24 hours in their stalls. The last trip out Monday evening around 7pm was the worst of the trips out to take care of them because of the driving rain/winds. We were without power at that point to so it was hard to see. Must invest in better flashlights! They didn't like being stalled but they were fine. The hard keeper didn't eat or drink normally but I expected that. I let them out as soon as I could on Tuesday morning. They ran and kicked up their heels for a few minutes to celebrate.

We're back to somewhat normal here too. Thanking you all for your good thoughts and prayers. Wow...what a rough and wild ride this one was! The winds rolled and blew like crazy! Mom's house sounded as if there was a freight train coming thru. Horses made out good. My neighbor took care of them for me so me and my Lakota could go and be with my Mom and sister. Here at the farm we lost power a couple of times on Monday night, but it came back by Tuesday morning. Same at Mom's house. I was very concerned for my hubby as he is with one of the big electric companies here in southern NJ and they are working around the clock to restore everyone who is out of power. They will keep on that schedule until everyone is running normally again. We have lots of debris around the property scattered about and one big tree came down in the corral...thankfully the horses were in the barn. Other than being very exhausted because of the preps from the news media and then going thru the storm, we are slowly cleaning up. My guy from the tree company just returned my call and he will be here next week so we can plan on getting that one tree that fell out of the corral and have him take down a few of the big pine trees that are too close to the house. It was wonderful being with family during this, and we all kept each other company. I feel like Dorothy in the WIzard....so glad to be home and see everything is alright...there's no place like home!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have been watching the news with absolute amazement- I don't know how many of you have ever been over this side of the pond but I can assure you that, were something like that to happen here, there is NO way any of the services would be mended in four days and I just do not know how long it would take to pump out the London Underground, were it to flood- I doubt very much if they would even remember to turn of the electric!!!

After our one and only hurricane in living memory, most of the public services stood around with their mouths open for a few weeks....with the exception of the ambulance and fire services- they were amazing.

Latest posts

Back