hummingbird

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
this little guy found the grape jelly i put out for the orioles, just inches away from one of ten nectar feeders. he came back to it last night over and over again and chased every other bird away from it. guess he wanted some dessert! it's not a very good picture but it was getting dark and i had to take it through the window. :DOH!

hummeratjelly.jpg

default_biggrin.png

That is so cool...!!! We just got a hummingbird feeder to hang outside the window by my Mom's chair...the window is a 2nd story window so had to put it on a chain and hang it from the overhang of the house. She's really enjoying seeing this one lil hummingbird come to visit and how many times a day he buzzes by. They are amazing little guys...wish more would come visit. It is one of those red feeders with all the holes.

I always said I wouldnt put feeders out cause our cats kill so many birds on a regular basis...its like luring them in for the cats....but they cant get anywhere near this feeder.

Any tips on how to attract more hummingbirds...so far just 1. Mom jots down how many times he comes by each day...its cute...she'll say my bird was here 4x today!
default_smile.png
She'll be 90 this October

how sweet for your mom!

where there's one, you can bet there are more. give it time, your lil guy will tell all his friends and they'll all be there and you'll be able to watch him chase them all away. :DOH!

never thought of grape jelly!!!

The other day we had a hummingbird at one side of the hummer feeder, and an ORIOLE on the other :DOH! Mom missed getting a picture
default_rolleyes.gif

We constantly get buzzed by our hummers....their one feeder is right beside our pool, so they are always zooming in and out, chasing each other through the trees while we are swimming!!
default_laugh.png

They are hilarious!!

~kathryn

I've got 3 or 4 humming birds here. One of them seems to think the feeder is his personal property because he runs the rest of them away. He even hides up on the electric wires or in a near-by tree and guards it because anytime another hummer gets close to the feeder he zooms down and chases them. Had an Oriole here that loved the humming bird feeder too. I took some pictures but not sure if I still have them. Pretty thing....had to look it up to see what kind it was as they aren't common around here. Guess she's gone till next year now.

Oh boy, I love hummingbirds.
default_yes.gif
I had one in my barn about a month ago and the poor little thing had a hard time figuring out how to fly out of the barn. The little guy just kept flying by the window trying to escape.

he was back yesterday morning and i got a little bit better picture...

hummeratjelly2.jpg

MM, we had a hummer fly into the house one day. i opened the back door, hung a feeder up high and he went right for it so i just shooed him on outside.

Latest posts

Back