Human Exercise Too?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleP

Reaction score
Hello All!!

I am a excited to be a new member to this forum and finally start posting after going through almost all the pages of posts.

Last month I purchased my first horse, a grey 36" AMHR mare who now goes by the name Little P. Obviously I have fallen head-over heels for her and even started an Instagram account for her so I can document all the cute things she does.

Right now she is overweight, but she has actually slimmed down a bit since she has been outdoors 24/7 running around with her friends. Previously she was kept stalled for the majority of the day with only a couple hours outside in a corral. She was used as a broodmare originally (2 foals) and then a companion horse by the person I bought her from so she has very limited training. She is stating to get the hang of things though.

My question is: Is there any activities that I can do with Little P that would also give me a workout? Ideally I would like to get my workout done at the same time as Little P, but haven't been able to think of anything.

Right now I lunge her for exercise and we run around in the grass (well I am running and she is trotting beside me), but I can only do that for so long before it gets boring.

I've seen pictures of people biking and skiing with their minis, but I don't know how safe that is?

Any suggestions or ideas?

On a side note instead of making a separate thread: anyone know any good horse related Instagram accounts that are not constantly begging and threatening for likes? I would like to see more horse pictures throughout my day, but the majority of accounts I can find are really bratty.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could start ground driving her, that burns a few calories while you walk and jog behind her. You could also set up little obstacle courses to go through, doing walk, trot, back and sidepass. I use to play with my big horse like he was an oversized puppy, playing chase, tag and fetch.

As above really! Welcome to the forum
default_smile.png
I have instagram.

Last edited by a moderator:
I jog on the road with my mare. She likes it a lot and it burns a lot of calories for me
default_smile.png

Whenever my husband gets on my nerves (which occurs rather frequently) I send him out there to run with our goobs. ...they love it. I sometimes get a little worried that somebody might snap a leg, but it hasn't happened yet. so....

If you feel comfortable (in control) biking or skiing, why not? Go for it.

Thanks for the suggestion everyone!

I am planning on teaching her how to drive eventually, but right now I am having a hard time finding an affordable harness.

I've tried bring her for a job on the gravel road, but she doesn't seem to enjoy moving at more than a walking pace.

Have any of you tried those big horse balls?

The gravel might be hurting her feet at the trot. I have a soccer ball for my horses... they don't seem to care for it, but I know a lot of horses do like balls, so it's something to try
default_smile.png

We got a Jolly Ball for ours, after we tried an inflatable human exercise ball. (Coco ripped the inflator valve out of the human ball within minutes; luckily I swept it out of her mouth before she swallowed.) The Jolly Ball is much sturdier, doesn't require inflation, has a handle, but to be honest, the only one that kind of played with the ball was Baby. And even she quickly lost interest unless we were out there providing interest. Mostly the ball sits in the barn gathering dust.

Latest posts

Back