How's the Weather ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More rain in Sydney. I mean, it was sunny today but that’s an anomaly these days. Rain yesterday, rain tomorrow. Where I live there is no municipality sewerage system, everyone is on septic tanks… with relatively small blocks, between 1000 sqm and 5 acres. so it’s been wet everywhere all the time here. It seems to rarely dry out completely… I was curious whether many of you are on Septic tanks too? We had one when I was a kid but that was 8 1/2 acres of bushland, so very different.

We are also on a conventional septic system and it has worked very well over the years.

Also like you, sunny days have been scarce in recent weeks with lots of wind and showers/rain. Thursday night we were in an area that was hit quite hard with wind and heavy rain, our rain gauge holds a measured 5” and was full, so the pastures and fields are saturated.

So many desperate for rain too. Weather systems are not fair. ☹

I can’t believe Tasmania is in drought while Sydney and the rest of the East coast of Australia has been getting buckets of rain everyday… yup it aint fair at all. So much rain and then down where the septic tank’s leach field is it’s so sodden. With all the rain and then septic outlet on top of it, the few dry days we get are just not enough to dry out the ground ever. Our septic tank is an aeration one. Two adults and two kids, it seems to be ok so far. We are very careful about what goes down the drain… I’m less concerned about remnant pathogens than I am about residual heavy metals and whatnot.

Our leach field is currently in a rarely used part of the property but I would like to fence those areas eventually for paddocks… does anyone allow their livestock to graze over their leach fields? I may have to move the outlet hose every now and again to allow grazing? Sorry I know this isn’t a septic tank thread!!

My leach field runs across my backyard and into the paddock my minis are in and I have never had a problem. My land is not flat though, so no standing water over it ever.

We use to have a brand new aerobic system at the last house. Our septic guy told us the water that comes out of the sprinklers is so clean you could drink from it… not that I ever would! 🤢 my horses use to be turned out on that pasture and we never had a problem.

Im not sure how old your system is, but you could probably have your water tested if you are really worried about it.

Last edited:
Well, it's not that dry here. We've been getting little bits of rain and we still have places from snow melt that are in puddles and pools. We had a pretty significant drought in Alberta/Western Canada last year but lots of snow over winter. The ponds and sloughs have filled back up again, thankfully. Our next season in bug season... lol. So the littles got fly sheets.
I've bought the Orion fly sheets before but this year their fit in the neck isn't really that good. They make them with a cutback neck now. Doesn't do anything for my donkey, it's not as bad on the ponies. Oh well, at least they'll have something to keep the sun and the bugs off.

Attachments

• Jasmine Fly.jpg
    Jasmine Fly.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Phillippe fly.jpg
    Phillippe fly.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 3
  • Willy Fly.jpg
    Willy Fly.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 3
It's been over 100 a couple of times, with mid 90's. Dang wind just will not give up. Once in a while it will be calm, and then off it goes again. The parade I am planning to do this weekend, we've been looking at the forecast. Expected to be in the mid 70's and windy! What in the world?? At least it will be nicer for Dapper Dan, and I can elaborate my costume some.

Boooooring....a movie. It is with friends, in air conditioning, and reclining seats. I'd have been content with an early lunch/brunch and chit-chat in the park. Friends didn't think that was "birthday" enough.😆

P.s...thank you for the birthday wishes!!🥳🥳

Disappointing weather! After 104, the day of the parade has dawned cloudy, windy and 61!!!. High today from predicted 74 now down to 64. What a miserable day for my covered wagon to make its debut. Not sure yet if I will even participate. I'll wait till later in the day to decide. If the sun comes out...

Latest posts

Back