How's the Weather ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our snow here was light dry snow. We were lucky. It is harder to deal with what you received. This is the second day of bright sun. The bright sun shrinks the snow even in the cold. 16F with a light wind now which makes it tolerable for an old man.
What's sun? 😁
It's been cold here too, just about the same temp as you. Seems like it's been colder this winter than usual but maybe it's just me.

I feel guilty when I check these weather posts lately! We have had no rain lately which isn't good though. But today we had my sister-in-law and her family here and we had a bbq and sat outside drinking ice tea! It is supposed to be 70-72 all next week. It is like Spring here. We are all enjoying it but at the same time realizing we really need rain.

I feel guilty when I check these weather posts lately! We have had no rain lately which isn't good though. But today we had my sister-in-law and her family here and we had a bbq and sat outside drinking ice tea! It is supposed to be 70-72 all next week. It is like Spring here. We are all enjoying it but at the same time realizing we really need rain.

In our corner of Ohio our weather is not severe in any one thing. Real bad weather seems to miss us. I like most people complain about the weather when we can not do things we have planned. Overall, we are blessed.

I decided to show all my horses eating out in the snow from my wheelchair. that was a bad idea and it only became worse. I guess trying to video on the go in the wheelchair will have to be given up. Multi tasking in the snow does not work 🤔 😀 We ended up with over 10 inches of snow with very little drifting here at home. My Son in law cleared out my drives as can be seen in the video. It was calling for 8F allday long early in the morning but got to 18F with the sun out early afternoon.

Your weather looks about like ours. I am in Massachusetts but only have one mini, Consuelo, and a small herd of sheep. Stay warm!

One day last week we had over 80mls in two hours. Over all its been a wetter than usual summer and it really shows with how green everything is for this time of the year :) We had two days of lighting and storms a few days ago but no damage.
It definitely has been a wet summer! Here in Sydney too! I am mostly loving it! everything so verdant! Better than the smokey summers we had a few years ago !!! 💀We are getting these super weird tropical rainstorms that start suddenly, rain cats and dogs for 3 minutes then stop completely for weeks now!

I'm preparing myself for our North Carolina hurricane season already, even though it doesn't start until June.

Between the weird-ish winter weather waves and reading about wet Australia, I'm guessing we might get some hurricane weather here this year. We haven't really for a couple years. Now that I'm in the house instead of the travel trailer, I want to be prepared for off-grid living if it becomes necessary.

On another note, I still have NO daffodils even poking a sprout out. For the first time since 2016 we have no daffodils yet. No blooms. No almost blooms. No.....ANYthing. Nature knows what we don't, so I'm guessing it will stay wintry later this year.

81 yesterday! Tonight the low is 27! We have another winter weather advisory in effect starting Wednesday morning thru Thursday night. Suppose to be a wintry mix of freezing rain and sleet 😝 come on summer!

And why does it have to be sooooo windy here??
I know. The wind is discouraging! I've wanted to drive my horses while it was warmer, but the wind was too fierce. Hopefully when this round passes we can have some calm days.

I've waved my white flag to winter and it's not going away:(. This winter has been brutal everywhere I think. I've been going between -30c and +5c (more cold than warm), twice so much snow in one day (once in 2 hours) that I couldn't plow out until it warmed up and some of it melted. Then it gets cold again and there's ice, not to mention the wind that won't go away. The horses have had to stay in more than ever before. It was +8c last night and going down all day to -20c tonight. I have two paddocks right now that I can turn out in, if I can get them over the ice safely, and 5 groups to go out. Springs coming soon right?!?

We were -37C again this morning. I wish I could share a video here--it's on Facebook. It shows a girl skating on a highway near here--that is how icy our highways all are. She is skating just as she would in an ice rink. We had a couple hours of rain Saturday evening, then it turned to wet snow--which then packed down to ice. So, even if the packed snow/ice wears off, there is still the ice layer underneath. Our highways are absolutely dangerous. They have been sanded and salted but it is so cold it does not melt the ice--at best the sand offers a tiny amount of traction. Some highways are still closed this morning--even the TransCanada west of Brandon--so many cars and semis in the ditch (lots of rollovers everywhere)--they shut it down again yesterday.

Here is a photo of the ice skater.

The TransCanada west of Brandon opened late this morning; I'm told it was open for a whole 7 minutes before there was an accident that stopped traffic --then they closed it down again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220223-223316_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220223-223316_One UI Home.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 2
Minimor, I don't know how you do it there, my hat's off to you.

I have a winter boarder who comes in for Dec, Jan, Feb. When she was 14 her family moved to Alaska. There was one place near her that rented horses and she'd go every week to ride, even in the winter. It was -50!!!!! Now when it's cold here she says it's not -50 and there's an arena, this is easy. Makes me feel a bit like a wimp......

29 F here in Edon Ohio this morning. Calling for about the same all day. Snow to start tonight and snow until tomorrow morning. I tried to make a video slipping and sliding with spunning in the mud two days ago with my phone and somehow caused it to to vireo my face thru the screen. It froze and I took one last evening driving in the tracks.
This every spring in this area to feed animals. It was that way when I was a kid and we pulled trucks thru mud with a tractor to feed hogs. Smaller amounts of feed would be carried in buckets or bags on your shoulder thru the mud. My light all wheel drive Honda ACTY mini truck makes it easy.for me. It will be easier to fix when the ground becomes solid also.

Minimor and Taz.....I can empathize a little, from my younger days. Minnesota = snow, ice, and wind blowing the little Chevy hatchback across icy lanes of traffic. My dad laughing as he left for a business trip to Anchorage, Alaska about, "it being colder here then it will be there AND I put a screw in the thermostat to keep you from turning it up *smirk*". (Had he not said that, I wouldn't have known. Don'cha know I took it out??😝)

Also, the mountains in Nez Perce National Forest, Elk City Idaho. Back then we got snow, and lots of it, along with the cold. We lived way back in and had to travel down to the ranger station to catch the school bus. In winter we rode the snow machines. Like any kids, we looked for ways to skip school so ran to eagerly check the thermometers every day. If it was -30, we didn't have to go!! Too cold to risk the wind chill. Sounds like we'd have spent more days OUT of school than in this year.

Do you all get any sort of Chinook warm-up around this time of year? We'd get one mid-January or so. You know the one, where it gets up into the low 30's with a mild temperate breeze for a week or so? The one that makes you wear a T-shirt on top while you dance in the sunshine--even though from the waist down you're still dressed in full winter gear? (Ohhhhh....those snow boots with the warm felt lining...clunky as all get out!) The Chinook breeze that melts some old, grungy icicles, and replaces them with diamond drops and raises your hopes that winter WILL end...................eventually?

Yes, though I love the North sooo much more than being here, I just can't handle the winter anymore. I, too, have become a weather wimp.😔😔 Please forgive me.

Latest posts

Back