How's the Weather ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11 degrees here. It was shirt sleeve weather Dec 31 and we scoffed at the weatherman predicting ice the next day. So, yesterday we had frozen faucets and hoses. Husband used a torch to thaw out the faucet so we could undo the hoses. At least I had filled up the heated water for the horses and chickens. Latches on barn and gates frozen. But the horses love this frosty weather in their thick coats, cavorting and frisking. Shelter? Bah, humbug!

Minimor, no mosquitoes, of course! Another reason to be grateful crunching out to the barn in 50# of clothing! 🤣

Eleven degrees is cold, Marsha. A horsewoman doesn’t need diamonds - she needs blow torches, heated buckets, and coveralls!

A belated thank you, Kelly, for the invite to your place next time the power blows! ☺ I think a number of us would love to take you up on that! Can you imagine if we all showed up? Look out Ft. Worth! 😂

We've had similar temperatures to Kelly here in my part of North Carolina. Near record highs (upper 70's) and mild nights. The last couple days we've had some much needed rain that lifted our burn bans.

Marsha, we won't get as cold as you when your front reach us tomorrow. We'll have a 45 degree drop though....from the current 72 down to 27 in the next 24 hours or so. I won't complain *too much* as it IS still winter on the calendar.

My heart goes out to those in the Boulder Colorado area. First those fires, now no power with single digit temps and a half-foot or more of snow. 🥶😭❤️‍🩹🙏🙏

A belated thank you, Kelly, for the invite to your place next time the power blows! ☺ I think a number of us would love to take you up on that! Can you imagine if we all showed up? Look out Ft. Worth! 😂

That’s a great idea MaryFlora! Come on EVERYBODY, come to my house…party in Ft. Worth!!! 🥳🥳🥳

We had a wind chill of -28 this morning. Cold, windy and dry --not a good combination for wheat and pasture. Chickens are staying in. Midnight has a finer coat and she has chosen shelter, but Dapper Dan has a thick pelt and doesn't mind the weather at all.
We humans prefer being in the location of the wood stove!

They are predicting -35* Celcius (-30* F) next Tuesday, at our place and that's without windchill! With windchill, it looks like -40 Celcius! (-40*F) 🥶🥶🥶🥶:eek::eek::eek::eek:

The coldest I've ever seen up here was -44*Celcius or lower because we didn't have any lower on the thermometer!

Anyone wants to send a bit of warmth to Canada? We have plenty of cold to exchange!!!

Reactions: Taz
North-Central Alberta Canada. It's cold. It's always cold! Snow and cold. It's been -20 Celsius or colder for the last few weeks. Supposed to break next week. Ponies all have lots of hay, shelters and are doing just fine. They all look like tiny, hairy yaks! We had very little rain last summer, drought. We're above average for snowfall so far and I'm glad for that. Hay has been less than half of its normal harvest. Snow means spring growth and a higher water table.

North-Central Alberta Canada. It's cold. It's always cold! Snow and cold. It's been -20 Celsius or colder for the last few weeks. Supposed to break next week. Ponies all have lots of hay, shelters and are doing just fine. They all look like tiny, hairy yaks! We had very little rain last summer, drought. We're above average for snowfall so far and I'm glad for that. Hay has been less than half of its normal harvest. Snow means spring growth and a higher water table.
Glad you are getting that snowfall. These extreme weather cycles are sure hard to plan around sometimes.

Its been about 30 here (86f) for most of the last week. It did get up to 41 over xmas , way too hot for me. I spent most of the day checking the horses and making sure they all had cold water and plenty of shade. As of today its supposed to rain and be a bit stormy for the next week. We had one of the biggest downpours of rain Ive ever witnessed the other day. 180 mis in 20 minutes, CRAZY !!!! We seem to be getting a really "tropical" summer this year ( I can only hope it doesn't bring all the snakes out ) :(

Its been about 30 here (86f) for most of the last week. It did get up to 41 over xmas , way too hot for me. I spent most of the day checking the horses and making sure they all had cold water and plenty of shade. As of today its supposed to rain and be a bit stormy for the next week. We had one of the biggest downpours of rain Ive ever witnessed the other day. 180 mis in 20 minutes, CRAZY !!!! We seem to be getting a really "tropical" summer this year ( I can only hope it doesn't bring all the snakes out ) :(
Ryan, glad it has cooled down some for you and at least the tropical factor should keep the threat of fires lower. I'm with you on the snakes! ;)

Latest posts

Back