How's the Weather ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rain the last two days, very welcome indeed! But I have two very muddy horses. The most I can do is wash their faces!
We had a low wind chill the first night of rain and Billy did not like that. I put them under the shelter with hay. Dapper Dan was fine; his coat is very dense.
We were supposed to do a parade on Saturday, but it was cold and rainy. 🥶

We have had constant rain the last 6 months , I don't ever think I have seen it so wet. We were blessed the week before with sunshine most days around 18-19 degrees. I was able to take rugs off my big horses and it actually started to dry up. I was FINALLY able to mow the lawns after 6 months :):):)

The Friday just gone , we had 100mls in 20 minutes and now needless to say , we are completely boggy again :( , Plenty of showers since and now another possible 50-60 mls Thursday. Unfortunately this has been the case for most of the East coast of Australia for the better part of the year. And saying all this October is usually Melbourne's wettest month.

On the plus side , Ive noticed winter coats are flying, horse hair everywhere , hoping thats a sign of warmer and DRYER weather on the way ( lets hope they are wrong about a La Nina event for our summer)

Hope some of this rain is headed to those of you that need it over there :)

I found this volunteer watermelon vine a couple of weeks ago. 20221018_170012.jpgThe bugs got the one I went to harvest day before yesterday, just before our first frost of the season. I didn't let them have it!! I gave it to Monica.😈20221018_170206.jpg

She did NOT share with Cash. I'm about to head out now and cover it some more, as tonight is the third night of hard freeze warning. Our average first frost date is 7 November. It's looking like our NC winter will be like Ryan's was. 🥶🌨🌬🌧🌨🥶

Winter has arrived in full force in north-central Alberta. Currently it's -17 Celsius which translates to 1.4 F for you guys down south. We've had probably 3" of snow in the last 4 days but today is sunny and beautiful. Barometric pressure is way up so my migraines are going full bore... So fun. Might almost have enough accumulation this weekend to take the toboggan out!

Fall temperatures will finally be here in northwest Connecticut in about 2 days or so, which means it will be in the 40's and 50's. We have had a very unusual fall so far, with temps well into the high 70's! It's been crazy warm. Most people would probably be happy with such high temps, but I love the cool weather of fall. Plus, I'm a beekeeper and a warm fall is not good for bees. When it's warm the bees continue to forage for nectar and there isn't any, so they come back to their hives hungry and eat all their winter stores (honey).

Standards Equine,
I sure hope the migraine are over for you. So cold for you. Are those temps normal for you?
The rain came early in the season yesterday. I sure hope that may mean we will receive more this winter.

Standards Equine,
I sure hope the migraine are over for you. So cold for you. Are those temps normal for you?
The rain came early in the season yesterday. I sure hope that may mean we will receive more this winter.
Thank you. Yes, the barometric pressure has stabilized and my head is feeling a lot better today. It was down to -24 C last night. It's fairly normal to get dips to that at this time of year. We were fortunate though, no snow in my area until Saturday. Normally we get small snow falls as early as September but snow doesn't stay until after halloween. This year we had nothing at all til last weekend and then winter came in on a rampage! This weekend is supposed to warm up to be only -4 or -5 C for a high. We're going to have snow and cold swings until mid April. Some years we have no snow by mid April, some years we have snow stay into May.

But there's no big or venomous snakes up here, alligators, venomous insects, etc. I'll take the air hurting my face for 6 months of the year so I don't have to deal with those. That's what airplanes and vacations are for!

Fall temperatures will finally be here in northwest Connecticut in about 2 days or so, which means it will be in the 40's and 50's. We have had a very unusual fall so far, with temps well into the high 70's! It's been crazy warm. Most people would probably be happy with such high temps, but I love the cool weather of fall. Plus, I'm a beekeeper and a warm fall is not good for bees. When it's warm the bees continue to forage for nectar and there isn't any, so they come back to their hives hungry and eat all their winter stores (honey).
Poor bees.😢

I love them, love talking to them, love listening to them.💖 I do my very best to keep my place bee attractive and free from chemicals. With mass poultry farming, some cotton and soybean fields and massive amounts of construction going on within a 5 mile radius of us, I fear we're losing them more quickly than they can recover from.

What do they do when there's ping-pong weather?

Hi Silver City, Bees keep the inside of the hive at 95 degrees (F) winter, spring, summer and fall. They do this, to keep their brood (babies) warm. If it's colder than 95, then they flap their little wings to produce heat to warm the hive and if it's warmer than 95, they flap their wings to cool the hive off. Thank you on behalf of bee keepers in your area and actually everywhere for making your surroundings bee friendly. Funny note: I actually don't care for the taste of honey (I prefer sugar), so my closets are filling up with jars of honey. I started keeping bees about 12 years ago, to help the bee population and didn't really think about the "liquid gold" that they produce. Bees and the honey they produce are an amazing. I was actually nervous about keeping bees because I was afraid that they would fly into the horses as they were making their way to the adjacent fields. I have no idea if any of my horses have been stung by any of my girls (only females are capable of stinging), but I have seen no sign of it. In the summer, I will find the occasional bee in the water trough, but again, no big deal. You can have horses and bees on the same farm. Yeah!

Latest posts

Back