How to tell if you donkey is pregnant

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackerjackjack

Reaction score
When I bought my little girl in August, the old owner said that she was bred in July. Is there anyway to tell? She has not gone into heat since I got her. As a matter of fact, when my jack gets a little happy, she kicks him an does not want anything to do with him.

Besides not seeing them come back into heat, you can have the vet do a blood test on her, but usually when they have settled they want nothing to do with a jack when he comes near them and will kick, but they are always those few exceptions who ALWAYS seem to accept a jack :eek: Ce

My girls hold their pregnancies really well.

They really don't start showing a puffy belly till about 7-8 months .... but sometimes with their Winter coats it is hard to tell?

I'm taking my jenny into the vet next week for an ultrasound.
default_pray.gif
:

default_aktion033.gif
OMG
default_aktion033.gif

That is the most priceless "ultrasound"
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

How Sweet
default_wub.png

Is it "really" Real ?

We have a baby in there!
OMGoodness!! How sweet! I had to look at it a couple of times (as I have to do with all ultrasounds.. lol) and squint a little but I swear he or she is kicking their little legs up?!

Thanks so much for sharing
default_wub.png
And Congrats!!
default_aktion033.gif

Yes, the vet said that's about one of the best ultrasound pics they've gotten! He/she is laying on their back kicking up their heels! You can see the little tail....the head....where the eye is.... what stinks is that I scanned the photo, and the scanned photo isn't as good as the real one....so the real one is even better!

But baby's doing good.....good heartbeat.....and I'm THRILLED!

I called the vet. The vet that I was going to use and did have out here to take a look at the donkeys was very sarcastic about the whole thing. So I called another vet that was recommended to me, she is coming out the 15th and we are going to do the blood test first. She recommended the blood test and then later if I wanted, we could do the ultrasound. She said that she has really good luck with the test. I can't wait to find out. I will let everyone know.

[SIZE=14pt]jeesh, why was the vet sarcastic? some people
default_sad.png
, anyhow, we did a blood test with Petunia, good luck
default_yes.gif
...Nikki
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Crackerjackjack, your story sounds just like mine with my donkeys. My husband had gotten me a jenny with her baby jack at her side for Christmas a few years ago and they told him that the jenny was bred in July or August. We waited one long year, in the mean time I was on here learning all I could about miniature donkeys, waiting for the next summer. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]July, August and September came and went... I was posting udder shots, belly shots, feeling for kicks and reporting back to Corinne and Teri. I knew that they could go a long as 13 months with no problems. I had a goat that was supposed to be bred and due in September too. So I asked the vet to come out and ultrasound both of them. I don't know if I've ever been as disappointed as I was when he left that day.
default_sad.png
Neither of them were bred! :DOH!
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I hope you have better news than I did!
default_yes.gif
Have you heard anything yet??
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Shannon
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I don't know if I've ever been as disappointed as I was when he left that day.
default_sad.png
Neither of them were bred!
[/SIZE]
I remember that disapointment
default_no.gif
....how bout next year for them??

Daisy needs to be a Mom
default_yes.gif

[SIZE=14pt]I don't know if I've ever been as disappointed as I was when he left that day.
default_sad.png
Neither of them were bred!
[/SIZE]
I remember that disapointment
default_no.gif
....how bout next year for them??

Daisy needs to be a Mom
default_yes.gif
[SIZE=14pt]As a matter of fact, Daisy is at our neighbors now staying with their goats until we get the goat lot finished. So if she fools around while she's there, that would be fine with me. I'd love a spring goat baby or two! She was a great mom the first time.
default_yes.gif
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I had thought about breeding Maggie again, but I'm not really in any rush to do that so she isn't bred for next year.[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back