How to sweat neck & does it work?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy

Reaction score
I have a beautiful (IMO) black and white 30" stallion. However, he does not have a long, graceful neck. Does sweating really help, and if so do you leave it on while they are in stall or just when working them? Any pointers on helping him thin his neck would be very appreciated. I know I can't stretch it, but maybe I can thin it out some. thanks!

Yes, sweating does help A LOT!

You can leave the necks sweats on your horse, as long as it has a fleece lining. If it is just the neopreme, then only use it while working your horse.

You can buy some "helpers" such as spray on items at your local tack shop to help him sweat more/faster.

Make sure to get a GOOD sweat on him to make it acually work. Some horses are harder then others to sweat.

Good luck!

-Kris

Sweating does help alot, but first you have to have a good neck to start with. Just sweating won't make a neck long and elegant. If your horse just has a thick neck it will help, if you horse has a short, thick neck it will just make it a short, thin neck. Would be easier to tell if you had a picture of him.

minimomNC said:
Sweating does help alot, but first you have to have a good neck to start with.  Just sweating won't make a neck long and elegant.  If your horse just has a thick neck it will help,  if you horse has a short, thick neck it will just make it a short, thin neck.  Would be easier to tell if you had a picture of him.
423619[/snapback]

Well, he's like his mom (me) short and thick neck!
rolleyes.gif
BUT, I think a short thin neck would look a little better. Can't hurt to try.

Sweating does reallly help. I have a mare that I love dearly, but she does tend to carry a lot of fat on her neck. She doesn't have one of those long thin necks and never will, but sweating it down made a HUGE difference for her--along with a proper diet. Here are the before and after pics I love to share from last summer...

Before diet/exercise/sweating:

Rainyhead.jpg

After:

Rainyneck.jpg

Before:

Rainy20005.jpg

After:

WC-Rainy3trimmed500.jpg

So you see...it can't change the horse but it can sure help to improve what you have got! I know my mare will never be a champion halter horse, but sweating and conditioning sure helped a lot!!!

-Amy

Last edited by a moderator:
Pockets, that is an amazing difference! Can you please share your sweating/workout protocol?

Thanks!

Mine? hehehe I am SO a novice! I got my diet info from minimomnc! LOL Other than that I lunged for about 15 minutes three or four times a week and I started her ground driving and we did that about 4 times a week for an hour or so. I made my own sweats and I used one on my tummy while ground driving Rainy and it helped both of us! hehe I started in like late April or early May in prep for a show the first weekend of August. I kept her in a 3" throat sweat and an 8" neck wrap at night following instructions from minimomnc up there...no chemicals or anything, just the fleece lined wrap over the throat sweat. By August--we had the after pics and I had a driving horse to boot. I do have to admit that getting this mare ready was pretty much a challenge by minimomnc and maryann of this board...and I am so glad I took it!

-Amy

It never hurts to try and yes a short thin neck is better not only in looks but for the horse, than a short fat neck. (yes I have a short fat neck too) must be why I love the long thin ones LOL.

I have a stupid question.
yes.gif

When you wrap the neck. do you start at the head and wrap back or start at the chest and wrap forward. And how tight do you make it?

Then put the throat sweat on over top?

Deb

When you wrap the neck. do you start at the head and wrap back or start at the chest and wrap forward. And how tight do you make it?
Neither LOL. Throatlatch sweat goes on first, then wrap the neck sweat over it - but all in one place. They come in different sizes, from about 4 - 8" or so. For more coverage get the larger size and just wrap it over itself, attach velcro at the end. I usually tie the horse so his head is up in a normal position and then wrap pretty snug. If his head is on the ground while you wrap, it's going to be a lot tighter when he raises his head.

Jan

Make sure after you wrap the neck to slide your hands flat on both sides of the crest under the sweat to pull the crest back up into place, if you don't you could break the crest over especially if it is big to start with. This will also insure that the sweat isn't to tight.

Latest posts

Back