How To Start Your Own Farm....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourluckyhorseshoes

Reaction score
Hi--

Almost everyone on the forum has an established farm, so hopefully I can get some good advice. My big question is how do you start a farm? I am looking to have a farm name even though I don't really have any land or capital yet. Just me and my minis which are boarded (for now). In the future I am looking to have a boarding and lesson barn, not breeding. Do I need a farm prefix? How do I register my farm name so no one can take it later? What if I decide to change the name? Do I need a business license? Any help would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a farm name but its really just for fun. Once I got a few horses I figured I'd like to have a name. It really wasn't for anything other than me always wanting a "farm"...young girls dreams I guess. There was never really any "starting a farm"...it just happened. you know the saying, you cant just have one. I do use a shorter version for registering foals and that may be something you want to think about b/c you can only use xxx number of letters when registering a foal. you do not need a business license I don't believe...later if you start selling, boarding it would be different...also I have heard some insurance companys really coming down on people just b/c the have a farm sign out front...perhaps one thing you should look into. with all this said, a name is what you take w/you for life...and a farm name is no different...always putting your best foot forward, treat people as you would like to be treated, being honest and taking good care of your animals.....anyone can have a farm but its alittle more than that. Good luck and keep us posted on your new farm name

....Why do they call it Chevy Chase Maryland...cute..is there a story behind it.

....Why do they call it Chevy Chase Maryland...cute..is there a story behind it.

Thanks...I'm new to the area so I had to look it up online---

"From an incredibly long, tedious, and detailed history of Chevy Chase, Maryland...

Chevy Chase was one of the first planned suburban communities. It was created in 1890 by the Chevy Chase Land Company, which first purchased a 305-acre plot of land straddling the line between Maryland and D.C. The name, which was subsequently adopted for the entire new subdivision, can be traced to the larger tract of land called "Cheivy Chace” that was patented to Colonel Joseph Belt from Lord Baltimore on July 10, 1725. It has historic associations to a 1388 battle between Lord Percy of England and Earl Douglas of Scotland. At issue in this "chevauchee" (a Scottish word describing a border raid) were hunting grounds or a “chace" in the Cheviot Hills of Northumberland and Otterburn.

The country club in Washington State was named after the Chevy Chase Club, a country club which was founded by the Chevy Chase Land Company in 1890 to go along with their new development. The actor Chevy Chase took his name from Chevy Chase, MD as well.

The "Ch" in Chevy Chase is pronounced the same in "Chevy" as it is in "Chase" (unlike the car "Chevy", which is pronounced "Shevy".)

More than you ever wanted to know about the early history of Chevy Chase, MD"

Last edited by a moderator:
To make yourself "official" for tax purposes, you need to register your farm name with your state, open a bank account with your farm name, and have business cards printed. Your bank will have the application for registering your farm name because they won't open an account until you do.

Both mini registries will register your farm prefix for a fee, but you can't have the same prefix that another farm has already paid for. Our first choice, for example, was denied, so we went with our second.... Registering your farm prefix is mostly important for when you plan to have foals.

Latest posts

Back