How to read a good or bad buyer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[i find most of the horse's I have looked at in the past either had issues the seller did not tell me about or wasn't trained to the level they said it was.

And then they act shocked when you bring this to thier attention!!!LOL!!!

I bought a 31 inch mare out of Wyoming one time, and the transporter unloaded the Jolly Green Giant, and when i brought this to the previous owners attention, all they could say was, "Well,I did not have an official measuring stick". Maybe they could have seen her back was higher than a plain old yard stick you get from the dollar store!!
default_wacko.png

COMUNICATION..... it's that simple.

Remember YOU have the right to ask questions. I do.... and plenty of them.

In return I'm also very forthright about telling you everything about our horses as well. I spend 24/7 with them so I can honestly say I know details about them that most individuals would over look.

So once again COMUNICATION.... and then decide whether there suitable buyers that you'd feel comfortable placing your horse in there care.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been a interesting topic. Lot of good views on this subject.

I recently got a inquiry on one of our horses. The emails were always no longer than 2 or 3 sentences, very vage about everything. I wasn't feeling good about it at all, was about to back out, when the phone rang. They were totally different on the phone & then when we met - o my. They've been perfect buyers. The emails are still the worst, but everything else has been perfect. Best sale I've had to date.

but have you ever had people have you take video (these can take a LOT of time to put together), tons more pics from every angle- even UNDERNEATH, ask all kinds of questions... As the seller, you jump through hoops, answer every question and then some... and then you never hear from them again. Many people put you through all this that had no intention of buying anyhow. They are Lookie Lous who just want to see pretty pictures of a horse.
SInce I've had on again/off again problems with my e-mail service, and my responses don't always get to their intended target, I often send a polite e-mail requesting a response to be sure our ISPs/e-mails etc are communicating before I get carried away answering all their questions. If they don't respond, then either they are scammers or we are having technical difficulties (techinical difficulties, can sometimes be resolved by starting a new e-mail, rather than just hitting reply).

SInce I've had on again/off again problems with my e-mail service, and my responses don't always get to their intended target, I often send a polite e-mail requesting a response to be sure our ISPs/e-mails etc are communicating before I get carried away answering all their questions. If they don't respond, then either they are scammers or we are having technical difficulties (techinical difficulties, can sometimes be resolved by starting a new e-mail, rather than just hitting reply).
Oh yea, been there. Most recently, one who placed an ad looking for a horse. I answered their ad giving them a general description of what I had available. They replied, wanting information, measurements, and pictures of a specific horse and its siblings and foals. I sent information and pictures in several emails and never got any response. I emailed back, asking if they got the information, still no response. I clicked on the link from the original ad (from which they had received the first email from me and to which they had replied), and asked if they received the information and pictures from me. Still no response. That is when I gave up on them.

When I have emailed people from their want ads on the sale board, I've yet to ever hear from any of them.

If I posted a want ad, I would answer every email I got, even if it was 200, because that is good MANNERS!
default_yes.gif

I know when people contact me about the minis I try to answer all questions and then some. I am still working on improving videos but think it is a great tool for folks to see the mini in the flesh so to speak. Still some things to work on but I think that helps when selling. I live aways out and sometimes our emails are unreliable here. I once had been on a search for mares and my computer decided to DIE lost all my info from...GOSH... I don't know how many farms.
no.gif
I go with my gut feelings on selling and have only had one regret on selling so THATS A GOOD THING!

but have you ever had people have you take video (these can take a LOT of time to put together), tons more pics from every angle- even UNDERNEATH, ask all kinds of questions... As the seller, you jump through hoops, answer every question and then some... and then you never hear from them again. Many people put you through all this that had no intention of buying anyhow. They are Lookie Lous who just want to see pretty pictures of a horse.
This is my biggest pet peeve! I actually just had it happen-I offered a stallion for sale on the board, got a nice e-mail from someone wanting better pictures. I'm a horrible photographer so not a problem, I take as many as people want until they're satisfied. 3 hour+ photoshoots, 2 videos, 5 overseas phone calls later, I start getting no response to my e-mails. I saw on the saleboard later a nice stallion listed as sold to the same place the person who had inquired about my boy was from. I have a feeling that was who I had been talking to. Wish I could have gotten a "Thank you for your help, but I have decided to purchase another horse who better fits what I am looking for." Polite, but lets me know I wasn't just wasting my time.

Janie No, it's not how normal people buy horses..Normal being the word here because it is how some people will contact you. I had basically the same type of emails a couple months ago. Since I always answer and reply I followed through with it but Intense digging eventually came up with what I needed to see and this person was not buying one of my horses.. from me.

It's up to you the seller to do your homework about buyers interested in your stock and if having your horses in a good home (for however long that may be) is your motivation and not money..then homework is what you have to do. I myself would just like to know if the persons animals are cared for and what kind of selling practices they themselves have. How they market and sell theirs will tell you what you need to know.

I see nothing wrong with people stepping in to buy a horse who do not really intend to keep the horse, but the lowest of the low are those who will tell you that they will and those who have no intention of ever spending a penny on the horse. You don't have to worry about those people until you lower your price and start putting your troubles on the sale board so to speak, once you do that be prepared for flippers/traders whatever you like to call them to contact you. These (flippers/traders) come in good and bad form so be careful.

People who look for bargains with the intention of making a little money called flippers (like Pickers) if done the right way.. is not a problem to me at all, it is a good way to disperse in a hurry while hoping your horses will end up in a nice farms program. These people take the horse, clean it up, photograph it, make it look as good as it can, advertise it in conventional manners and care for it until sold. Since they want to recoup their investment the horse is generally taken care of and the horse is usually sold for more money to a nicer home. I don't ask for or expect forever homes for my horses, went that route once and it didn't work..even with a legal contract not much you can do... don't sell one at all if you want it in a forever home.

What I can't stand are the people who frequent the cheap auctions and go from auction to auction and "trade papers" and the horse is in the 50. to 200. dollar bracket and ends up in muddy pens with no shade and no care..ends up with hoarders who buy the cheap horses and all they ever intend to have and sell are cheap horses.

ohmt I know what you mean and who, same thing happened to me but don't worry you'll probably get another inquiry a year or so later -I did LOL! isses me off to not get a reply.

Hi

I agree that communication is vital to horse sales, or sales in general for that matter. HOWEVER you do get these "short and to the point" emails that aren't even signed a lot of times. Even with communication(trying for)and many photos sent, the inquirer never responds to you. This is more than agrevating to me sometimes when they do not acknowlege receipt of your photos.

I agree Marty in regards to horse flippers... we have a couple of those here locally!! One advertises a lot, the other not much.

Songcatcher, I agree with you there to a point, but have you ever had people have you take video (these can take a LOT of time to put together), tons more pics from every angle- even UNDERNEATH, ask all kinds of questions... As the seller, you jump through hoops, answer every question and then some... and then you never hear from them again. Many people put you through all this that had no intention of buying anyhow. They are Lookie Lous who just want to see pretty pictures of a horse.

I myself LOVE to chat about my favorite subject (equines) as some of you have been personally subjected to in the past, LOL. I have tons of email buddies all over, not even people that have purchased horses from me or visa versa, but just that we have struck up wonderful friendships. But I will admit that some folks have a very full plate and when you get folks that inquire about your sale horse and spend a ton of your time and effort to just then drop off the face of the earth, it can be annoying.

A simple 'thank you but the horse is not exactly what I am looking for', or 'we have decided on another horse' or SOMEthing at least is good etiquette. Maybe I am being too picky, but.......... I think the 'serious inquiries only' are geared towards this type of thing.
Amen! I've had tons of inquiries take the time to send pics and answer the Q's only to NEVER hear from them. Now for the first reply I just refer them to my website. I figure if they're serious then they'll email back if they want more pics/info. I do not have tons of time to reply if they're not really serious. I even had one gal emailed if I'd take $100 less than asking and if they could come that weekend (it was on a Friday). I told her bring her cash truck and trailer and a halter and to let me know when she wanted to come. Guess what not another word.... I love the internet for buying horses... but I am really starting to hate for selling...

I never sold a horse so I cant comment on selling but I do look at the sale board and CL almost daily although Im not in the market to buy at this time. What I dont understand is people that say NO TIRE KICKERS...what exactly are you thinking?? And what do those sellers expect from potential buyers..do they Not want the the buyer to ask alot of ???'s, only look at one horse ( theirs ), not waste their time...sorry but it takes time to purchase a good horse too!!

I have to admit when I first started w/horses I would contact lots of people and ask about their sale horses. After several inquiries all over the country and finding out shipping costs I was too embarrased to contact the seller and tell them I couldnt afford their horse because of shipping and I was too shy to ask for a lower price. I just expect to pay asking price B/C I hate to haggle. It is/was rude of me not to contact the seller but it was my way....Im sure some of these people are most likely on this forum and to this day Im ashamed of myself.And I will now always contact the seller and explain honestly the situation. And Ive seen real nice horses in photos only to drive all the way to see them and they are living in a pig sty, have snotty noses,runny eyes and elf feet....I cant wait to get home and shower!! Im certainly not going to call them up and say..."sorry I dont like the way your other horses look" so I just ignore them too.

I just need to learn to OPEN MY MOUTH and not be so passive or shy. I know people arent going to hate me for deciding not to purchase their animals but I just feel bad saying no thanks!!

O.K. Off of my rant now!! Ive confessed my sins!!

I never sold a horse so I cant comment on selling but I do look at the sale board and CL almost daily although Im not in the market to buy at this time. What I dont understand is people that say NO TIRE KICKERS...what exactly are you thinking?? And what do those sellers expect from potential buyers..do they Not want the the buyer to ask alot of ???'s, only look at one horse ( theirs ), not waste their time...sorry but it takes time to purchase a good horse too!!

I have to admit when I first started w/horses I would contact lots of people and ask about their sale horses. After several inquiries all over the country and finding out shipping costs I was too embarrased to contact the seller and tell them I couldnt afford their horse because of shipping and I was too shy to ask for a lower price. I just expect to pay asking price B/C I hate to haggle. It is/was rude of me not to contact the seller but it was my way....Im sure some of these people are most likely on this forum and to this day Im ashamed of myself.And I will now always contact the seller and explain honestly the situation. And Ive seen real nice horses in photos only to drive all the way to see them and they are living in a pig sty, have snotty noses,runny eyes and elf feet....I cant wait to get home and shower!! Im certainly not going to call them up and say..."sorry I dont like the way your other horses look" so I just ignore them too.

I just need to learn to OPEN MY MOUTH and not be so passive or shy. I know people arent going to hate me for deciding not to purchase their animals but I just feel bad saying no thanks!!

O.K. Off of my rant now!! Ive confessed my sins!!

My two cents on this is that perhaps the buyer likes the sounds of your horse but the horse is priced at more than they can afford. Being that they arlready contacted you about a possible trade, they may not have much money to work with. Perhaps before they start asking the questions, they want to see what you are willing to sell her for to see if they can work something out and afford the horse.

I'm finding in this market a lot of people are fairly flexible on their prices. I personally respond to all inquiries. Once you sell a horse its gone and out of your control. You could sell it to the most wonderful home in the world and 6 mos. later that families situation changes and lord only knows where the horse will end up. I hate this saying but it was stated to me long ago and still always lingers in my mind.

Every horse is one sale away from a bad home. Not everyone can keep every horse forever. I have 9 horses here at the moment. I have 4 that I can say are permanent. This economy is doing a number on people and they're doing things they never thought they would.

Good luck with the sale of your horse.

IMO, it's not proper to ask what the bottom line price is on a horse. If you don't like the asking price then you need to negotiate. Negotiating isn't "what's the least you'll take?" Negotiating is offering what you want to pay for the horse and then meeting in the middle with the seller.

I agree completly with you Carin.
yes.gif

This is an email I received last week:

"whats your lowest price on him"

That was the email! No signiture, nothing else!

When I emailed back to the person asking them some questions, they emailed that they thought with the economy as it was I would be willing to take much less for the horse.
wacko.gif

Nope. This was for a proven stallion. I do not think soooooooo.

Latest posts

Back