How to lead/ pony/ dally a mini from a full size horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystallos

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me find information on how to pony a mini from horseback. I'd like to take my mini with me on some trail rides and I'm not sure what is the safest way to go about it. I've seen some people leave there mini loose, but mine is too smart and will likely find trouble. I've had one person suggest I braid my riding horse's tail and tying the mini to that. The horse I would be ponying from is a submissive, older Fjord mare. I honestly think the mini could push her around in a pasture. I do not believe she would kick the mini. Can someone please tell me if it is the same as ponying a full-size horse? Any tips you would like to give?

Edited for typos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a good idea to help you but I do know a bad idea when I hear one, I would not tie a mini to big horses tail no matter how calm the horse is.

Whenever I've ponyed my minis/ponies when riding I just took a single dally around the horn as if it where a full sized horse. Worked for me that way. Use to pony all the time when I was younger, now I longe or drive them as I do not ride out much since my riding horse was attacked by a pitbull.

I didn't think it was a good idea either. I can imagine the wreck that could happen when you can't reach the rope.

The ones that I've ponied off of a larger pony or horse was the same way that you'd pony a regular sized horse. I've had some I couldn't pony off of a horse very well and some riding horses that would try to kill one that was ponied. So...

Here is a picture showing me getting ready to take a pair of shetlands on a trail ride. It was about an hour long - they walked, trotted and cantered beside the arab mare that I'm riding. I also could/did lead them both from the left - switching about the middle of the ride. Their lines are dallied w/ a single loop around the saddle horn and I'm holding the extra leads across my thigh. The cremello filly stayed under 38" and the silver buckskin gelding matured around 41". The arab mare I'm riding is 14.1 hh. Both youngsters are wearing headstalls w/ bits.

10nov14Pckekr.jpg

Here's the pic of the 2nd round - the pinto filly is a 1/2 Shetland, 1/4 arab, 1/4 hackney. The dark silver filly is a Shetland who has matured at 38 1/2 or 39" so far. This crew became a very long, drawn out ride. we'd almost made it to the 3/4 point, when the pinto filly drew up lame. She'd hit something just right and burst an abcess that we hadn't known about - and was very, very sore after I checked and opened it up to finish draining. I didn't have anything with me during the ride to apply (I'd forgotten the saddle bags with some horsey first aid that would have allowed me to wrap her hoof) and was very glad most of the rest of the ride back to the trailer was over predominantly grass. The arab mare got grouchy while we adjusted the pace to the filly. I finally turned her loose to pick her way until we got up towards the pasture where there were horses and we had to cross a road - then easily caught her up and finished out. At the trailer I used water and peroxide to flush her foot, and vetwrap until we got home. Couldn't tell we did this quite a bit this year!! I want to say I took these 4 youngsters out on 4 or 5 different local rides with us that year. This was Nov 2010 and they are "long" yearlings.

10nov14pacemaker011.jpg

If you check out the Driving minis sections, I put up a post of a bad accident I had while ponying a yearling arab gelding off of an arab mare (he wasn't tied to the saddle but I had too many dallies around the horn and when he sat back...).

Plus another bad story when a friend recently tied a pair of ponies to the back of my wagon a couple of months ago...

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=133573

First, bringing a mini and letting him loose on a trail expecting to follow in your horse's footsteps is nothing short of all kinds of bad. That's like turning a baby loose in the woods or traffic expecting him not to run away from his mama and saying "good luck"! . Secondly, if you pony him off a big horse, a mini will have to work 2 or 3 times harder in stride to keep up with a horse. You're going to wear him down to nothing if he is not properly conditioned and if the ride lasts too long. The last idea is about tying him to a horse's tail is so far out of line I can't begin to discuss it rather than say, its a form of abuse in my opinion. I don't know what kind of person would suggest such a thing. Certainly not a horseman with a brain...

Now on the flip side, you need to be honest with yourself and be sure you are a good enough rider that can contol your own mount should he get flightly. You don't want to involve another horse in the mix if your riding mount is not steady. If may not hurt a thing if both your horses were very good friends to begin with and if you practiced this in small doses at home and see how it goes. Be sure to have someone capable spotting you just in case and abandon the idea if it gets out of control. If you do a dry run on a trail, check the trail on foot first and look for holes or deep soggy places where they both may get in trouble. Good luck.

PS: You'll probably wear your leading arm out.

~~~"PS: You'll probably wear your leading arm out."~~~

default_smile.png
I agree. That's why, when we ponied our babies, we had them already leading somewhat reliably from both sides and could switch sides.

I currently have yearlings and 2 yr olds I would never consider ponying - as they don't lead well. Shoot, I even have two ponies I sent out to trainers thinking they'd come home knowing more than what I generally teach them... They refuse to lead at all (led better before they left!).
default_sad.png

Sorry that I forgot to mention that ALL of our riding was done based on the condition of the youngsters we ponied. We did build them up (conditioning). The larger shetlands that I have had no real issues with keeping up with that arab mare pictured above - in fact - I've tried to make a point of either purchasing or breeding ponies that had VERY long, low, extended strides as I prefer that for a riding pony and that is what I originally bred for. I have Shetlands right now that can outwalk gaited horses when in condition and can outlast Arabians ALL DAY out on trail rides (and when we were riding a lot we were conditioning for 25 - 50 mile rides at set time limits). Currently, I don't have any pony riders to ride any of our Shetlands, and it's now been a year and a 1/2 since I last rode myself - but I drive them the same way.

The OP didn't mention how large her mini is, nor how large her Fjord mare is - but I expect that it could easily work. YES, I too recommend that you practice, practice, practice - at home - before you ever consider going out on a ride. Make sure that if the rope gets under the tail of the riding horse, it won't be a total rodeo! In fact, I'd practice enough to be confident that a rope would never get under the tail of your riding horse - but it does happen and you need to be aware and prepared. I believe in one of her books, Cherry Hill has a good chapter demonstrating more pictures and tips of working with both the riding horse and the ponied horse. I want to say it's "From birth to 5 years"..., but I can't remember for sure and I no longer have that book (I loaned it out never to see it again).

"Tailing" is still practiced out west and in the mountains (the last time I checked). Usually, another horse was not tied to the tail of the horse in front - but the tail was grabbed by a rider and the horse pulled him/her up the hill. It was done one of two ways - the rider let his mount choose it's way up the hill side and letting the line out from his bit or neck rope (vaqueros generally had neck ropes on their horses all the time or a cowboy could use his lariat), he fell in behind and got "helped" up the hill side OR the rider in front led his mount and the next rider in line grabbed the tail of the mount in front of him while leading his horse. It's still pictured in a lot of western literature. Tying a horse to the tail in front of him may have been done, but if so, it was done consistently with well worked horses and there were probably still plenty of rodeos. In talking to my step-dad in late 90's early 2000s, when he was managing a 20,000 acre cow/calf unit ranch in MT, they DID still tail horses in some of the country that they went in! Outfitters hauling hunters out still do, too. I know that I'd seen and done things when my life depended on the horses I rode - you DID do things that would be IN-EXCUSABLE in todays world, simply because in today's world, horses aren't handled or conditioned the same way nor are they used daily or hard. Those wet saddle blankets and miles under their hooves made a tremendous difference.

Shoot - I can't throw or coil a lariat decently off the arab mare pictured - yet when I was training horses our 3 yr olds could be roped off of when they got their 2nd set of 90 day rides. God Forbid that mare see or hear an elk - we'd probably never hit the ground from the high country till we landed here on the east coast.
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
O, and some riders in the high country still carry a side arm of some type - not just for protection from wild life but to shoot their mount if they got a foot hung... Personally know of one cowboy that returned to base camp beat up (later transported to the hospital) and carrying his "rig" but alive... The mount he'd been on was noted for the records (she was a QH that was utilized in the breeding program) - but her carcass was left for the wild critters to deal with (1980s). Most of todays' horse owners probably don't even hear these kind of stories...

I hope that the OP, and others reading these posts, realizes that I didn't turn our sore filly loose "lightly". We were on private property that is a hunting preserve, out of hunting season, and did have fences. She'd been out there before, she'd been ponied numerous times AND I had another rider and a driver following that kept her following us. She just was allowed to pick her way in the best way possible - worked for all of us that day. I have also had a few foals (ones that I know from watching them with their dams) that we have turned loose too, but only when in areas where there weren't any serious drop-offs (into a gully, canyon or river) or in traffic. I don't usually recommend turning unrelated horses loose to follow, as most will not, until fully trained to do so.

Thank you for the advice and the link to the other thread. It's good to know what could go wrong. I agree that tying to the tail didn't sound like a good idea and not something I am willing to try. I also think letting my mini loose is a bad idea, especially as she is too smart for her own good and rather independent.

My mini is about 32" and my horse is 14.2 hands. She is trained to ride, drive and pack. She is a very steady trail horse and really likes the minis. She's used to a crupper under her tail, so if a rope did get under it, I don't think it will bother her.

I will be practicing in a enclosed area with someone to help if needed. Thank you again for your advice.

I used to take Ella with me, when I rode on the property. She always followed Dyfra and stayed with us..... sure she would of been fine out on the trails off the property... but I didn't want to take the chance.

Dyfra is a 12.3 hand Icelandic.
When I tried to do the same thing with Maggie.... Maggie had no real interest in staying with us... so would go explore on her own the stinker.

I have wanted to pony Maggie off one of my Icelandic's but I don't think that is a good idea. One mare, just doesn't like Maggie much and the other... she can get zippy and I don't think Maggie could keep up.

Then I would worry about Maggie getting too close.

I know folks in Iceland, pony horse's a lot... but they don't have the issues we have in the USA, with people,cars and loose dogs.

Dyfraellacanteringsmall.jpg

I have tried leading a pony from a full sized horse. I was hoping to get the pony in shape as he was too short for me to ride. What I found was that in the blink of an eye the pony startled, sat back and cut to the other side. I found myself with the rope across my butt and I was trying to switch hands and horse got startled too. It can be done, but I would say do much practice on the ground before you mount up and in my experience I have found many horses and ponies that simply were not suitable for this arrangement. Just depends on rider and horse and pony etc. It simply didn't work for my situation and the panic I felt when things started to get dicey was a bit too scary for me the chicken.

I have ridden with CDE folks that drive a pair and pony a youngster on the back. I don't believe they tied or even took a wrap with the lead rope, but instead just had a navigator holding on to the rope.

Anything to do with horses can be dicey, even with practice and experience you can be looking at any kind of accident at any time... Its what they do. LOL. So on the other hand, there needs to be a point where you do a judgement call based on experience, your horses and ponies and make a decision based on factors. For me it didn;t work, but then again, I am chicken. I am chicken based on a few really scary wrecks in my life that made me change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be very cautious about ponying, was riding with a friend once, at that time I rode a mammoth jack gelding....her horse spooked, jumped sideways and knocked my 15 hand mammoth jack flat over...can't imagine what would have happened to a mini traveling next to her.

Back