How to get your horse to trot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maranatha minis

Reaction score
I can't not move fast enough to get my horses to trot when we show. How can I get them to trot with out me having to? We have a show coming up and this has been the biggest complaint form judges in the past that my horses don't trot.

thanks!!!

Teach them lunging. They need to know the command trot and once they get use to it they'll do it. Also, I have them walk so I'm even with their shoulders. When I want them to trot, I command them and lean forward a little so it looks like I'm going to run, but not really. Does that make sense??

Practice at home with voice commands and a little "encouragement" if needed in the form of a driving whip. Mine work the same way Keri's do, I walk at their shoulder and when I ask for a trot, I move my hand forward and incline slightly forward myself, and cluck or say trot. To get the idea across, you can tap their hindquarters lightly with a whip at first when you cue them. Good idea to do that next to a fence, so they don't get in the habit of moving away from you.

Jan

you can voice train them to trot. Thats what i did w/ Rain but i can keep the same pace w/ him when he trots.

I think if you are going to do that use a lunge line and use it as a lead and then start to run to get them into trot and cluck or say trot and when they pick up a trot let them go forward and you walk behind then pull them into a circle like your going to lunge them.

Thanks everyone, I will try it with the whop and the fence. I hope we can learn this in 3 weeks!

I can usaly keep up at a trot but at an open show once we were in trail class and they asked us to canter along the back wall [the big horses did this just fine]. it was a real crowd pleaser! But it took me the next two events to catch my breath! DR.

Latest posts

Back