How to find a "reputable" breeder

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reijel's Mom

Reaction score
Ok, my sister-in-law called me very excited about a shih-poo puppy they were considering getting. After a few minutes of her talking about the breeder, I suspected this was a miller.

So, my question is, I KNOW these small mixed breed dogs can be a little controversial, but how do you find a reputable breeder for them? Can you? I myself like many of them, but from what I've seen, these dogs are either coming from millers or backyard breeders (to clarify, in this scenario, my definition of byb is someone who has "cute dog A" of 1 breed, "cute dog B" of another breed, who decides to breed them to sell the puppies to make money. These people usually have no idea of the ideal breed standard for either dog, don't do any genetic testing, don't show, etc. These are not folks that I would consider buying a purebred dog from, and I wouldn't relax my standards to buy a purposefully bred mix, either. . .

I know some folks on this forum breed these cute little mixes, I've seen some adorable pictures - so - what do you do to stand out as a reputable breeder?

I am not a huge fan of designer dogs. however Ravens friends mom had a litter of pups they thought were to be full weenie dogs. THe mom had a heart attack and was in the hosptial for a week- needless to say the week the dog came in heat and husband locked up the wrong male ( DUH lol) so the s-h-i-t-z-u male was with the weenie female the result is our adorable new pup ZOey she is so cute built like a weenie but a fuzzy face like a s-h-i-t-z-u and such soft wavy hair she is the cutest thing ever.

Raven got a great Christmas present :)

Not huge help in finding a breeder but sometimes they are a result a oops not sure if that makes it better or worse. I personally would never buy a dog without visiting it- seeing the parents and more important how the dogs are raised how much interaction they get that type of thing which would help in the puppy mill fact finding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww, Lisa - we need pics
default_smile.png
. Thanks for responding!

My daughter got carried away last year and bought a puppy online from a mill......she knows better now.
default_unsure.png

Littlepuppiesonline.com shipped her a supposedly purebred papillon (they have the "designer" mix breeds too). When she picked him up at the airport he weighed less than a pound, was full of worms and covered in diarrhea. Long story short, he nearly died several times, she finally brought him home and with the help of a vet friend we nursed him back. He's a darling dog now, full of personality, but probably not what she paid for and should definitely not have been shipped in the condition he was in. When we called to express concern about him they said, just send us a vet letter if he dies and we'll send you another puppy. Like it was a damaged piece of merchandise.
default_no.gif
They put testimonials on their webpage, my daughter's and one other I know were done without the buyers knowledge. Oh, and the registration papers he came with were from the ACA...ever heard of the American Canine Association? Me neither lol.

Doesn't answer your question about who TO buy from, but it's a heads up about who to be careful of.

Jan

I know that this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I believe that if a puppy is already here, it deserves a loving home whether it came from a back yard breeder, or someone who continually and unnecessarily keeps breeding their purebred AKC dogs. There's too many dogs period! My best friend raised yorkies and boxers for several years. She does everything right - registers them, vet care, best foods - but what gets me is that for every litter she brought into this world, a dog that was already here, was deprived of a home. And yes, she did it for the money and because she "loves to raise the puppies". Sounds pretty selfish to me.

We recently had the humane society go door to door looking for unregistered dogs because they make a killing off of unaltered animals when they force you to license them ($95 a year per dog). I believe they should do more checks everywhere, then maybe people wouldn't be so out to have unaltered dogs that they breed for selfish reasons or because they just don't care what the dog does. All three of my dogs are mixed, were found roaming and probably came from irresponsible homes. Two I have gotten neutered and the third will hopefully be done on the 19th.

I hope that your sister in law will find the puppy of her dreams, regardless of where she finds him.

Yah.. I've very highly against this. I don't consider anyone who breeds mix breds purposely to be considered a breeder. But that being said. I think the best way to find a mix puppy is from those accidental breedings. Local papers, craigslists, shelters, etc.. But if its something that she wants to get from a "breeder" your going to want to purchase from those who breed only 1 type and health test. Have gurantee's against the puppies.

I know that this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I believe that if a puppy is already here, it deserves a loving home whether it came from a back yard breeder, or someone who continually and unnecessarily keeps breeding their purebred AKC dogs. There's too many dogs period! My best friend raised yorkies and boxers for several years. She does everything right - registers them, vet care, best foods - but what gets me is that for every litter she brought into this world, a dog that was already here, was deprived of a home. And yes, she did it for the money and because she "loves to raise the puppies". Sounds pretty selfish to me.
We recently had the humane society go door to door looking for unregistered dogs because they make a killing off of unaltered animals when they force you to license them ($95 a year per dog). I believe they should do more checks everywhere, then maybe people wouldn't be so out to have unaltered dogs that they breed for selfish reasons or because they just don't care what the dog does. All three of my dogs are mixed, were found roaming and probably came from irresponsible homes. Two I have gotten neutered and the third will hopefully be done on the 19th.

I hope that your sister in law will find the puppy of her dreams, regardless of where she finds him.

It's not that I think those puppies/dogs don't deserve homes that keeps me from buying from those types of folks, it's that every time they sucessfully sell a dog they are reinforced that it's a good idea to make more of them and to stay in that business. I've fostered 2 corgi mill dogs. . . those poor dogs. The health/emotional problems they had. . . it was horrific. If no one would buy their puppies those mills could not stay in business and keep doing this to more and more dogs.

My daughter got carried away last year and bought a puppy online from a mill......she knows better now.
default_unsure.png
Littlepuppiesonline.com shipped her a supposedly purebred papillon (they have the "designer" mix breeds too). When she picked him up at the airport he weighed less than a pound, was full of worms and covered in diarrhea. Long story short, he nearly died several times, she finally brought him home and with the help of a vet friend we nursed him back. He's a darling dog now, full of personality, but probably not what she paid for and should definitely not have been shipped in the condition he was in. When we called to express concern about him they said, just send us a vet letter if he dies and we'll send you another puppy. Like it was a damaged piece of merchandise.
default_no.gif
They put testimonials on their webpage, my daughter's and one other I know were done without the buyers knowledge. Oh, and the registration papers he came with were from the ACA...ever heard of the American Canine Association? Me neither lol.

Doesn't answer your question about who TO buy from, but it's a heads up about who to be careful of.

Jan
My sister in law was also very excited about a breeder she found online. . . several different breeds/mixes of breeds and puppies available all the time, next day shipping available. Glad your daughter's little boy made it. ACA huh
default_rolleyes.gif

I have a friend in Canada who breeds Dashounds and Jack Russells and a few designer dogs of this breed. Her dogs are very good quality vet check given shots , given a good dog food and for breakfast mixes cook eggs in there food. When purchased she gives the food she gives them aleash collar toy and all medical records

I came across an ad not long ago where this "breeder" (sigh) was advertising "A RARE breed in Nova Scotia", her e-mail addy even made reference to a "Unique breed". What was this amazing, supposidly "rare breed"? A Maltese cross...that's it folks...something so rare huh? She was asking ONLY $700. for these RARE puppies. After my e-mail, she took her advert down...and a day later had them for sale for what they were...a mixed-breed puppy, with a few hundred taken off the price as well.

I don't think it wrong to breed half-breed dogs, if you are doing it right. Take into consideration the breeds you are "mixing", have proper health checks done on the parents, and have them needled, dewormed, vetted on schedules...etc... I know several registered breeders who do not put the care and forethought into their breeding programs that some unregistered breeders do.

It is the buyer's responsibility to KNOW where their puppy is coming from. I would never consider paying for a puppy unless I have seen the parents, and gotten references from former buyers. And yes, I agree, there are a lot of dogs "out there" needing homes...one of our dogs is such a one. He came from a rescue shelter, the big galoot...
default_biggrin.png
but my other dog is a "purebred", although unregistered Min Pin. She is of the breed I chose after careful consideration of exactly what I want and expect in a small companion dog. I had narrowed my choices down to three breeds, and her's is the one that had everthing I was looking for...and more. I don't think that with a mixed breed, or total mutt...you can do that...so there is always, in my opinion, a place for the purebred dog...registered or not...when working within a breed, you should have an idea of what you are going home with...and who your companion will be for the next 10-15 years.

Sorry there is no such thing as a reputable breeder who breeds mixes. If they are breeding mixes they are doing it purely for the money.

Reputable breeders health test, have proven show/performance/ working records on thier dogs. They screen buyers carefully to make the sure the breed is right for the home. They agree to take dogs back at any time in thier life.

They make sure the dogs they breed adhere to the written standard for the breed and have good temperaments.

Reputable breeders do not make money off thier dogs as it cost money (lots of money) to do it right. Reputable breeders do not have a ready supply of puppies. They only breed a couple of litters a year at most. And while they may have two or three breeds they DO NOT have many breeds to chose from.

Yes reputable breeders do occasionally have oops litters even possibly a mix ( though it should be pretty darn rare).

If you want a mix, go to the local shelter. If you want a purebred rescue find a breed specific rescue. If you want to buy a puppy PLEASE do your research.

AMEN uwharrie!!! Exactly what I was thinking. And that opinion goes for all breeds and species.

Ok here is a picture of Zoey

gracie.jpg

We just love her although I have to be honest I do not know much about either breed - she is happy and healthy and a talker (which may be common in one of those breeds or could just be her) and if I have chi's and think she is a talker that should tell you how much she talks lol

She is not very easy to housebreak much harder then our other dogs. Not a dog I would have gone out and looked for but she sort of fell in our laps and hard to resist a cute furry little face like that

Oh Lisa! That baby is just too cute!
default_wub.png
She is lucky to have a home with you guys.

The only source I would truly trust would be your local veterinary offices. They will know of people breeding and which are responsible breeders.
default_wink.png

Sorry there is no such thing as a reputable breeder who breeds mixes. If they are breeding mixes they are doing it purely for the money. Reputable breeders health test, have proven show/performance/ working records on thier dogs. They screen buyers carefully to make the sure the breed is right for the home. They agree to take dogs back at any time in thier life.

They make sure the dogs they breed adhere to the written standard for the breed and have good temperaments.

Reputable breeders do not make money off thier dogs as it cost money (lots of money) to do it right. Reputable breeders do not have a ready supply of puppies. They only breed a couple of litters a year at most. And while they may have two or three breeds they DO NOT have many breeds to chose from.
I do know of a couple of people who do breed crosses, and have taken the utmost care to pick the very best parents for their pups. The parents are vet-checked for inheritable problems, same as if they were to be bred to another registered dog, and are not passing on any ill-health or genetic problems. Unlike many "reputable" pure-bred breeders such as those passing on poor hips, eyes, and/or poor dispositions. Have you taken a long hard look at MANY of the registered German Shepherds, and Dalmations out there lately, just for example...many of which can have multitudes of ribbons and championships behind them?

The breeders I know, although breeding crosses, (one litter a year...unlike a registered breeder I know of who breeds her dogs twice a year) also screens buyers, sells only on a spay/neuter contract, with a clause stating the puppy/dog, is to be returned to them at any time of their life...for any reason. to me...that IS a reputable breeding practice.

And to state that "reputable breeders" don't breed for money...hey, come on...they certainly aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, or they would simply offer their pups for free to "good homes".

Strange that I should stick up for these guys...as I have no interest in the crosses myself. But this idea that only breeders who show, or register their pups can care about them...that is just silly...and makes me think of the term "back yard breeder, and all the nastiness that conotates...when many small "back yard breeders" of miniature horses around here, take MUCH more loving care of their horses and foals, than some of the "big guys" do.

While it is true there are breeders out there breeding purebred dogs for money I can assure you reputable breeders are not in it for the money. Last year I spent well over $8000 on food, vet care, testing, and showing my dogs. I sold exactly 6 pups for a grand total of $3000, so tell me how I am making money? The year before I spent close to $10,000 (we had our first broken leg in 15 yrs and we spent $3000 to make sure it was fixed properly) that year I did not sell a single pup as I did not have a litter. Oh and BTW I often do give away pups at no charge, usually to other fanciers whom I know will do right by the dogs and my lines. I only breed a litter when I want something of my own to show or continue my line

The key here is "REPUTABLE"

Sorry but unless someone is developing a new breed I see absolutely no reason to purposely produce cross bred dogs.

I do know of a couple of people who do breed crosses, and have taken the utmost care to pick the very best parents for their pups. The parents are vet-checked for inheritable problems, same as if they were to be bred to another registered dog, and are not passing on any ill-health or genetic problems. Unlike many "reputable" pure-bred breeders such as those passing on poor hips, eyes, and/or poor dispositions. Have you taken a long hard look at MANY of the registered German Shepherds, and Dalmations out there lately, just for example...many of which can have multitudes of ribbons and championships behind them?
The breeders I know, although breeding crosses, (one litter a year...unlike a registered breeder I know of who breeds her dogs twice a year) also screens buyers, sells only on a spay/neuter contract, with a clause stating the puppy/dog, is to be returned to them at any time of their life...for any reason. to me...that IS a reputable breeding practice.

And to state that "reputable breeders" don't breed for money...hey, come on...they certainly aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, or they would simply offer their pups for free to "good homes".

Strange that I should stick up for these guys...as I have no interest in the crosses myself. But this idea that only breeders who show, or register their pups can care about them...that is just silly...and makes me think of the term "back yard breeder, and all the nastiness that conotates...when many small "back yard breeders" of miniature horses around here, take MUCH more loving care of their horses and foals, than some of the "big guys" do.

While it is true there are breeders out there breeding purebred dogs for money I can assure you reputable breeders are not in it for the money. Last year I spent well over $8000 on food, vet care, testing, and showing my dogs. I sold exactly 6 pups for a grand total of $3000, so tell me how I am making money? The year before I spent close to $10,000 (we had our first broken leg in 15 yrs and we spent $3000 to make sure it was fixed properly) that year I did not sell a single pup as I did not have a litter. Oh and BTW I often do give away pups at no charge, usually to other fanciers whom I know will do right by the dogs and my lines. I only breed a litter when I want something of my own to show or continue my lineThe key here is "REPUTABLE"

Sorry but unless someone is developing a new breed I see absolutely no reason to purposely produce cross bred dogs.
Not really directing this at you uwharrie, just breeders in general - I believe the phrase for horses is also true for dogs...there is NO dog (no matter how pure or correct) that is too good to neuter/spay, so the majority aren't really adding anything dyer to the breed. I'm guessing that almost every person can agree that there are WAY too many dogs in the world already, but like so many breeders claim, iif you aren't making money off of selling your puppies, why would you even breed and add more dogs to the overpopulation? I'm sure that there are people already producing purebred dogs of your given choice, that are equal, or greater, then the ones you produce, so bettering the breed isn't exactly a reason. I can never quite understand that about people who claim that they are "doing the right thing", yet someone else isn't.

Edited to delete quotes from others with no comments about the quotes (woops due to infant in arms).

Sorry there is no such thing as a reputable breeder who breeds mixes. If they are breeding mixes they are doing it purely for the money. Reputable breeders health test, have proven show/performance/ working records on thier dogs. They screen buyers carefully to make the sure the breed is right for the home. They agree to take dogs back at any time in thier life.

some of these "cross bred breeders" are breeding for a more sound dog. Its actually scientifically proven that "mutts" live longer, and a lot of these dogs are hyop-allergenic andhealthier. I actually own one such dog who was bought for the specific fact that he does not shed. I have two dogs, one purebred golden retriever and the other dog in question my designer dogs,(a bichonpoo) who is my mothers was bought because she cannot stand the shedding from the golden and is slightly allergic to him. I know several people who have poodle crosses for the fact that they have hair not fur and are hypoallergenic. No matter what the breed there are always going to be "puppy mills" but most of the cross bred dogs are actually offspring of excellent examples of their respective breeds. And on the note for breeding a more sound dog, take the puggle for example, a cross between a beagle and a pug, which lets the resulting dog have less breathing problems.

This is just my two sense. and here's a picture of my "designer dog"

XOXO5163.jpg

Latest posts

Back