How Small is too Small to Drive?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayuse

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering a 30 inch mini for myself to drive. Do you think this is too small? He is a more refined type and four years old. Any hope of more growth? I know I shouldn't be hoping for more growth on a mini, but I am a fairly rugged lass to tote around.
Mini would be used for Pleasure Driving classes and for fun. I would say light use.
Thanks!

I had a 28" gelding. He was not refined, however. He was a little powerhouse and had no trouble with my wooden Runabout and an adult+child on the road. I don't really enjoy the smaller horses, however. Shorter gait and also, they don't look quite as nice in the cart, proportionally. Dapper Dan is 32"; I think that is the smallest I'd like to go. But a 30" that is conditioned should have no trouble. Do not think a 4 year old will get taller, but he will fill out. The photo is the 28" horse, Cloud Across The Moon.cloudflag.jpg

He is a nice looking horse. Love his name! Was he a pinto? He looks bigger than 28 inches, it must his stockiness making him look larger.
I never thought about the gait being shorter, that is a very good point. I did wonder how he would look in the cart, though. Did you have any trouble getting the cart balanced?
Cappy is 32 inches like DD. He is actually stronger than Peanut who is 34 inches. Probably because he is built substantially.

I had a 30" stallion that I LOVED but sadly he just did not have stamina when it came to driving. He did love to be in parades but REALLY struggled with any arena driving and only had energy for about a mile. Then he would drag his ass back home. He was not a refined mini. He is the one that taught me I like them MUCH bigger ;)

Thanks guys! I have decided that if we get another mini, it will probably be a bigger one or small pony so my husband can also drive it. He drive Cappy, who is stout and 32 inches, but not far or fast. Maybe 36-40 inches.
Dream horse would be 38 inches, solidly built draft type and a gelding. Solid color with chrome. Pro trained. Santa, are you listening ??!!

38 is too large for me; have to buy all new equipment. But I do like the 34-35" ones. I like solid color also; mine would have a nice blaze and white feet.
The tiny ones work their hearts out, but they are just not as much fun as the taller ones.

Back