How Safe is it to Bring a Dog to Tulsa?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelley

Reaction score
Do any of you bring your dog with you to Tulsa?

Our 12-1/2 year old Saluki bitch usually accompanies us to the horse shows. She my "heart" dog and if anything happened to her I would never forgive myself.

I am wondering if it would be better to leave her home with the rest even though she will be heartbroken.

Shelley

There will be alot of dogs there I am sure, we are taking our chihuahua Tate. He is also our horse show dog. As long as you are comfortable with your dog being there it shouldn't be a problem.

Many MANY dogs are brought to Nationals.

Just a few things to think of before doing so: Is your dog current on all vaccinations? Is she good with crowds of people, and with lots of strange dogs?

And, where will she be kept while you are showing or otherwise occupied, and where will she sleep?

Also, everyone please remember that dogs are NOT allowed in the arena building.

I saw several in there last year (the old "the rules apply to everyone but ME" syndrome).

And please everyone pick up your dogs' feces-- the last thing anyone wants to do is step in a dog pile.
no.gif

That said, I enjoy seeing all the different dogs there every year and the dedication their owners show to them.
smile.gif
I have to leave my "heart" dog home too, as it would be just too hard on her to be there all that time, not to mention all the traveling. I'll have to make it up to her when I get home, but until then my husband and daughter will try to keep her from pining away at home.
wub.gif

I brought my chocolate Lab in 2003 when I went. He stayed with my cohorts when I showed, and was hysterical to watch when I was driving (yes, he was in the arena stands with them, but we did NOT see any signs or we wouldn't have taken him in. NO ONE seemed to mind, as he is extremely well behaved.) He would watch the horses going 'round and 'round.... I'm not sure if he could pick me out, but he seemed to know I WAS in there SOMEWHERE!! heeheehee

Of course, he managed to wander away once in the barns, and I had people coming up to telling me "you should have seen him run down my aisle.... his eyes were as big as saucers!" as he looked for me. He's rather clingy....
rolleyes.gif

Yup, he'll come if I ever get to go again.

Lucy

Thanks for your opinions.

I still don't know what we will do. Trulee is an Am. & Can. CH. and so is used to crowds and traveling. She loves it. In fact, I just showed her in a veteran class on Friday and she was so happy to be back in the ring and at "the party". And of course we always pick up after our dogs. We could put a crate for her in the grooming stall.

But, it would probably be less of a worry to know she was at home safe and sound.

Thanks again,

Shelley

Every show I've been to there have been tons of dogs. A crate is a good idea. And expect a very strict leash rule in place too.

MA

Last edited by a moderator:
We travel with some of our Corgis, Here is a picture of Tucker, Gracie, and Cody in their xpen. We put down mats because of the sand, and they were perfectly happy. They did tend to slam the side of the pen when other dogs came by, and we learned the hard way to tie it to stalls so they wouldn't knock it over. Gracie was just a puppy then and she was a champ. We went from Tulsa to Fort Worth for the AMHA world show, so we were on the road for a long time! One other corgi, my AKC champion, Frasier stayed in a mesh crate in the groom stall since he was a bit more macho when other dogs came by.

CorgisAtTulsa.jpg

I do agree with making sure all of your health papers are in order for you dog too. Tate's rabies certificates are in the book with the horses coggins test. Easy to find as he is still a bit to small for his rabies tag. But he is getting there. He has a crate that stays in the tack stall when we are at the ring and if its to hot in there he stays in the trailer with the air going. He doesn't seem to mind at all. He does wear a harness and leash when we are walking around but at the stalls he is usually trying to play with everyone that walks by. He is such a character.

karen007001.jpg

This is baby Tate, all four pounds of him.

Thanks again...our dogs are ALWAYS on lead. We are thinking we might bring her along.

IMAG007.JPG

Shelley

Latest posts

Back