How old is too old

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorngal

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a cute little mare that was given to me last year. I never planned to breed her but I guess attending the AMHR Nationals yesterday set me to thinking about it :bgrin . So many lovely horses! Anyway, she was given to me b/c the woman I got her from traded a horse for her and expected this mare to be in foal. Well, she never foaled and this gal decided she didn't really need her and she knew my kids would dote on her so there you go.

I don't believe she has ever foaled as her udder is completly flat..if that's an indication of never foaling anyway. I believe she's coming in to season as she squirts and blinks and my gelded donkey gets awfully interested in her at times.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Would it be worth exposing her to a stallion? Are there some type of vet tests I should have done first or is she just too old to bother with it at all?

Oh, I guess I should add that she is 18!

Thanks

Cara

Hi! My vet recommended not breeding a maiden mare past 9 or 10. But that was with big horses, not sure if minis would be different, just that sometimes they tend to have difficulties anyway. Goodluck. Lori

I would talk with a vet you trust and get his or her opinion on breeding a possible maiden mare at 18 years old.

It's not unheard of for a healthy mare to have her first foal in her late teens, but it really depends on the individual mare, so it would be in both your best interest to have a vet examine her.

Many on the forum have breeding mares of this age, but you may have the only "old maid" :lol: Should you decide to breed her please be aware of one very important issue.......older mares often do not have the same nutrient absorption in there intestinal tract that a young mare does. So, you need to be certain that she is getting a very good vit/min & protein supplement to assure you that her health will not be compromised. Don't know what you feed but, the nutritional requirements for pregnancy & lactation are great -- she can get through with flying colors if you just address this before she is bred to keep her in good weight and excellent health and the foal developing well.

Let us know what you decide about breeding.

I won't allow my stallion to breed to a maiden older than 12 years old. This is for several reasons. First, and most importantly, older maidens haven't been "stretched" internally, and since they are getting up in age the tissue (most importantly the cervix) isn't as forgiving as it needs to be. If that cervix can't stretch, you are asking for major problems come foaling, even if she can carry the foal just fine. And secondly, an older maiden mare will have MUCH more difficulty getting in foal in the first place. Don't get me wrong, its very, very possible with a healthy mare, but the problems are much greater and the fertility much lower. That makes my stallion (who has a 1.75 cycle pregnancy average with all mares bred in foal) look bad. I will allow exceptions once the owner is told about the potential problems, and with their vet's approval. I always feel bad for the mare when people try to do that, personally.

I have a 12 yr old maiden mare vet checked in foal for next year. :aktion033: I bought this mare this past fall at a bargain price I believe, because she had not gotten in foal for her previous owners. She was overweight when I got her and I spent several months getting the extra weight off of her. I'm looking forward to a healthy foal next spring!

I agree with Chanda. Work closely with your vet on this. You'll be dealing with never been used muscles and new nutritional requirements for her.

If she wasn't a maiden mare, this wouldn't be such an issue.

MA

Thanks for the help.
default_smile.png
I would say I probably won't be trying to breed her but will check with the vet when I get her teeth floated and ask his opinion.

Cara

Latest posts

Back