How old is too old to show?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini horse mania

Reaction score
A good breeder friend of mine came by,and as we talked about showing,(i never have,but want to),he stated that a few of my horses "had it",even as 9 year olds and my,stallion at 17...who is a previous national champion,way back in 2000 or so...still should do well.what is the oldest horse you have showed? where should I,start on showing....a yougun,,,or seasoned vet?

what is a good beginner class to start with? he meant they still have the look,even as older "broodmares"...i wanted to show my 5 month old colt Mo,but I believe he will be going,thru the "ugly" stage this spring...

I've seen some top notch geldings show in their late teens or twenties and still do well at Nationals. For a good beginner class would be color.

My main show horse is 12 this year, and hes been shown for years. I gave him a break from showing in 2010 because I was pregnant, he finished his country pleasure HOF in 2011 (We didnt halter him at all, I thought he was a bit burnt out on it), and Im bringing him back out this year and showing him halter, driving, and hunter. Honestly, I think this will be my best year with him yet, and I dont have plans to retire him anytime soon.

You could say they are never too old
default_wink.png
I've seen a lot of aged mares and geldings out kicking butt.

However type changes and evolves, I have a top winning (in her day) 11 year old mare but she is not quite the current type and her 'broody belly' essentially counts her out of the higher placings. Also a stallion who has just been in the paddock for 6 years is likely to be cresty and will take a lot more work to get ring fit.

I'd start of with a seasoned horse though, one who is unlikely to get flustered while you're learning all about it
default_yes.gif

A good class to start with is one that you enjoy doing. If you enjoy halter then, by all means, start with halter or color classes. If performance is more to your liking then start working on jumping or obstacle at home and then go try it at a show. You might be surprised.

The only trouble starting with jumping is knowing about the class. There is Hunter and it is weighted toward the horse jumping with style and forward movement but staying WITH the handler. Then there is jumping class which should be on how high the horse jumps clear but ends up being a timed race won by whoever can run faster (oh, and still clear the jumps).

I'm as big fan of obstacle as you can start at any age working with them around, over, between things and standing still (as in ground tie) etc. This is also a class that you can work on (one obstacle at a time) in a barn aisle over the winter.

As long as a horse is in good health and is willing to "work" (meaning follows your direction) for you, they're never too old. I have one that is 23 this year he will be in a driving class.

Last edited by a moderator:
I showed my old stallion at 18 and know many other horses that were still in the show ring at 18 and 20, and still did well!

I think im gonna try dj....hes been there done that,ill put him in a local color class beacauae all I have ever showed is boer goats...i dont know what to do,where to stand or anything...tips?

Color class is simply getting him groomed very nice. Walk in the arena in a circle. The judges will say reverse and you walk the other direction. Some people walk on the off side of their horse so the judge can see the horse better but many do not. Then the judge(s) say halt and "show your numbers" which means you need to turn your back to the center so the judge can read your entry number. It's a super easy class which is why many will put their little kids in it. If two horses are close to each other in "looks" IMO the judge will often pick the kids. So remember it is not a class of conformation but only the color that the judge happens to "fancy" that day.

In AMHR yes its that simple but in AMHA conformation does come to play and the judges will inspect those horses as a halter class.

Showing minis in halter you basiclly stand in front of them, keep a good distance between you and the horse, you have a treat or something to get the horse's attention on you and you want them to get that arch to their neck like reaching for whats in your hand but you don't want them to be stretching for it either. And just keep the horse in full view for the judge to see. You want them to stand square.

What are you not supposed to do as far as grooming? Someone told me a while back to never cut the mane..is that true?

You can't roach the mane. You can cut the mane or trim it with scissors but try and make it look natural as possible.

Best way to learn is to attend a few shows
default_yes.gif
You can see how everyone is grooming and presenting and also how they work their horses in the ring.

I only showed at 1 show last year, I took Sammie who I think is 14, Dante who is 9, and it

was Dante's first time to ever show, he took 2nd and 3rd. I also showed Mistique at the

world show in 2010, he was 20 yrs and took 4th. I showed him last year 21 yrs. Sammie

loves to show, and when I start showing again, he will be showing with me. He loves

Liberty, and I would love try some of the fun classes, like jumping and driving. I think

if they have look, and want to show have fun.

Latest posts

Back