how old is too old to drive?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minis_4ever<3

Reaction score
helo there

My mare is 18 and she has had 8 babys! i just started jumping her in march!! and now people are saying i should driver her soon? but im not im not sure if i should?? what do you think???
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif

cara

I have personally driven many horses that were well into their twenties. As long as the animal is sound and in physical condition you should go for it.

Are you retiring her?

A lot has to do with her overall condition and if you are going to ask her to continue be a broodmare or not.

If you you are retiring her, then I would say -- ease her into the exersizing and see what she wants to do. If she's willing, then why not?

I don't recommend asking her to the jumping, driving AND be a mom too.....that's just too much. (If it were me, I'd demand a raise and a long vacation plan!)

MA

Personally I would say she is too old to start competitive driving of any sort, just as I do think she is too old to be doing competitive jumping- sorry, but I do not agree with actually starting this sort of thing when an animal has spent it's life doing something else. At her age, (in Human) you would be wanting to retire, and Yes, of course many humans are active, and should be encouraged to be so, at this age- they have a choice!! I had to realise for myself that my old Dog was getting clear rounds because he loved ME not because he loved the jumping, I guess you will have to reach the same conclusion for yourself- I hope you do.

no i wil not be breeding her at all the last time she was breed she almost dies so yea!! and she is very happy jumping but peoples are syaing i should drive so i dunno wut to do !!!!cara

I do not know how old you are but just imagine any fourty five or fifty year old that you know taking up high jumping. Driving is much less stressful (I would say relaxing for my horses) on a horse. Its an excellent way to condition them. If a horse is sound you get to work with the animal and they are relived of boredom in a stall or pasture.

I wouldn't expect her to drive in competetion just starting out at her age, but if you take it slow, I think that she and you could both very much enjoy driving for fun.

You have absolutely NO idea whether or not she is "happy" jumping- you only know that she jumps. She might be thinking "OMG I'll be so relieved when she stops asking me to do this" What I am trying to impress on you is, she is obviously a well natured, easy going animal who wishes to please you- you just could be taking advantage of her good nature and mistaking the result for her "being happy" jumping. I reiterate - to start her competitive jumping or driving at this age is not in her best interests. If you want a show horse, buy a younger one. If you cannot do that be content to play with your horse at home. Once you are in the ring the adrenalin kicks in and who knows how high you are going to be asking her to jump??

she is just over middle aged at 18 and could give you plenty of fun and pleasure if trained as a driving animal. I have known many horses which have been used till they were 25 or more, and vet advice actually was to keep working them gently, since that helped keep them in condition. Snowball, the famous jumper, began his career at age 20..... Depending on what you will ask of her, driving conditions, her size, her health, etc, you could concievably use her for many years. I am just over middle aged too, and believe me, I am not ready for a rocking chair. If I retire it will not be to sit around and do nothing!

Why not ask your vet for an opinion as to whether she is physically up to what you want to do with her? I see no reason why you should not enjoy her in any way that suits you both!

Back