How old does my kitten...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyL

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]
saludando.gif
Hello all,
[/SIZE]

I got a kitten!!
wub.gif
He is an orange and white little tom named Sailor. He lives outside and is the new mouser. He is very good at hunting down and killing crickets and other bugs. He is still to small to hunt mice, plus we don't have that many this time of year anyway. He follows me around when I do evening and morning chores, I am the only one he follows around. (Which by the way makes me feel very special!)

I once had an orange and white tom with one eye, named Pirate, who would follow me every where. He used to be a stray that wandered into our yard, my dad said not to feed him and he would go away but I just had to feed him. So he stayed. For two and a half weeks he followed me around, I let him sleep on my lap when I read outside, and he purred. Well, about a month ago, Pirate was out hunting and he got run over. He had some internal bleeding and even though he was hurt he tried to make it home to me. He never made it. He was so close. He is now buried underneath my bedroom window. I miss him still today.

So that is how Sailor got his name, I wanted to keep to the ocean names, since the boys are so close in color, attitude and personality.

But how old does Sailor have to be before he can be "fixed"? He is around 10 weeks old now.

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam,

He needs his first in a series of vaccinations at 8 weeks of age. They can be neutered at around 5 months of age. Your veterinarian will be able to tell you when he is ready.

The previous post was correct. Your kitten needs to have had all his vaccinations first. However, the age for neutering varies from vet to vet.

It used to be done around 5 to 6 months, but I know that the humane societies have it done much earlier.

MA

I personally prefer to wait until breeding age, at around five or six months, however, our local shelter does all animals as soon as they weigh two pounds. So, not by age at all but by weight.

Just like colts, they can (and IMO should) be done as soon as their testicles are descended. Same with anything male!!

He sounds adorable!!
wub.gif

My vet neuters early --- NOW would be a good time. Before he learns all those boy things!

JJay

Latest posts

Back