How often can you bathe a horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've heard pros and cons about frequently bathing a horse. I have one that seems prone to itch and plan to try fairly frequent bathing on him this summer, such as at least every 2 weeks. I will be sure to rinse him well.

Its good to give them a full bath (shampoo, conditioner etc) right after thewinter, during the summer and before the fall. I have hers that if they get a full bath too often that they hair or skin can dry out. When its hot out i usually just hose them down. I already gave them a full bath this spring.

I bathe several times a week with plain water, and every week or two with soap. If they are working horses they will easily produce enough sweat and oils to replace what is lost. An active show horse will require more bathing than your pet horse, at least with soap. Plain water bathes can be done daily if needed.

The only time i bathe is normally before a clip, and before a show. From time to time if it is hot i will spray them off with just the water. I have a few white horses and pinto's, so if they get dirty to where i feel it might stain, i will wash that off right then. I really do not bathe them that often.
default_smile.png

Everytime one of our horses gets worked they get hosed down. And depending what they have done they also get a good linament bath (sponging). It is not uncommon if a horse is showing to get a bath everytime they have a class. At home they are kept so clean they probably don't need a soap bath to often but their tails are washed and put up about every week. But since I am a clean freak my horses do get a soap bath about once a week. Like Nathan said, IF you are properly grooming and working horses to produce enough sweat and oils, frequent bathing is not a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was showing the hunters and jumpers they were at least hosed off after every workout and bathed with shampoo the morning before a class and hosed off again after he/she was done for the day. So, each show horse was probably bathed, on average, 6+ times/week during show season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll hose mine off every single summer day if they are hot and sweaty.

If I am working a horse, that's mandatory. Never put up a sweaty horse, that's just nasty

I also like to use Absorbine Refreshermint sponge bath which cuts the sweat and leaves them feeling great and smelling super nice

Full shampoo baths once a week usually for everyone

For that special itchy horse of yours I would try to find the problem; it may be lice or skin fungus, rainrot, lots of things but for that you can use Betadine shampoo or a medicated shampoo

The horses that aren't in the show string get an "annual" bath as soon as the weather permits. I use shampoo and conditioner and rinse well. The show horses are bathed for clipping and shows of course. I always use conditioner as well. I also hose them off when they get sweaty.....pasture horses too! I think bathing too frequently actually would dry their skin out and make them more itchy. With your horse I wouldn't bath with shampoo as often as you do......I'd just hose him off with water.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back