How much $

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
Oh dear, I am really stressed out. My son was asked to do a slideshow with music and family photos for someone that we do not know. She was referred to him through a mutual friend. My son has 10 hours into this because the photos were in scrapbooks and boxes. He spent 6 hours alone, just scanning the photos. I just want everyone happy............

Please, if anyone has ever had this made for them............What did you pay??? We have to drop all the photos and the cd this afternoon.
default_wacko.png

I have never paid for someone to do one for me but I know that it is a lot of work when I do my own scrapbooks. I don't know how old your son is, but I would think $10 an hour, so $100, would be fair to both parties. I can't imagine them being able to get it any cheaper than that anywhere else. They must not be too worried about price if they didn't get an idea of the charge before he started.

Thank you so much for your response!!! My son was thinking $100 too but I was worried that it seemed to high! This is a real big event. The party is being held in a very nice hotel and I just want them happy and not feeling like they over paid. These people don't have a clue about computers and have no idea the time involved. So thanks again for your post.

Forgot to add that my son is 15 but our family is in the media business. Consequently, my son is quite versed in this sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think $100 for his time and labor is resonable, but you should also charge for supplies used, such as the CD, photo paper, ink, etc.

Thank you, Terry. You girls have no idea the relief I am feeling right now. I was just going to tell her $50 and I was going to give him $50 myself. I always devalue my time, services, horses......you name it and my husband gets so upset with me. He's always telling me that if I don't value my (insert whatever) than nobody else will either. So, I'm trying to not go against what my son feels he deserves. I hope I am making sense.
default_rolleyes.gif

I understand. I tend to do the same thing, but if you check around you will find that $10 an hour is probably cheap for that kind of service. Anyone who values pictures and those kind of memories will think they have gotten a great deal I'm sure, especially when they watch what he has put together for them. I would suggest if he does it for anyone else that he "shop around" first and see what actual going rates are for that type of service. He may find that $10 an hour is still selling himself short, and talk before hand with his clients and let them know his hourly rate and expected time involved. Then there will not be this kind of worrisome awkward moment. I can't imagine that they would blink an eye at $100 though. Good luck!!
default_yes.gif

Chelley, you are exactly right and we shall heed your advice! I'm sure they will enjoy the video and like you said it is nice to have those memories (all right there on a cd).
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. $10 per hr at least.
default_yes.gif

Why not ask her for the $100 and see? If she isn't willing to pay that much, then you can fill it out if you want. But you might be surprised! They might understand the value of his hard work!

Thanks for your reply Reo. I am happy to report that the woman viewed her slideshow and is very pleased with it and my son is extremely happy too. Phewwwww, I am so glad that's over with, lol.
default_biggrin.png

Just a quick update----The birthday party was today and the video was the biggest hit. People laughed, cried, and hugged each other. When word got around that a 14 year old boy (before I said he was 15, can you believe that I screwed up my own son's age? MENOPAUSE MOMENT) made the video, I guess everyone was surprised. He already has another customer and they thought $100 was a steal. My son is so excited and I'm happy for him. Thanks everyone.

Just a quick update----The birthday party was today and the video was the biggest hit. People laughed, cried, and hugged each other. When word got around that a 14 year old boy (before I said he was 15, can you believe that I screwed up my own son's age? MENOPAUSE MOMENT) made the video, I guess everyone was surprised. He already has another customer and they thought $100 was a steal. My son is so excited and I'm happy for him. Thanks everyone.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

That's wonderful!!! And I'm glad he'll get $100 for his work. He deserves it! (and more!)

default_aktion033.gif

This summer at the apartment building where the ladies I support live, there was a flyer from a college student that was offering his services to put together a sort of family video (sounded alot like what your son did only this guy would interview a couple of people and put into the video too as it was sort of plugged as being a video family tree) and he charged something like $500 for a 1/2 hour video and that was for one copy.

Great to hear that both parties are happy! I am sure he will get more customers and with that gain a lot more experience that could lead to a nice little business for him. Sounds like he is doing great for a 14-year-old.
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back