How much weight can my horse's hold

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, first of all it's HAFLINGER, not Halflinger...one L.

As an owner, I hope you do a lot of reading and talking to other owners before you jump in and purchase one. There is some incorrect info being put on here about them. Some "desired characteristics" mentioned are not desired in the breed standards. Talk to the breeders if you go to the auction but read a lot, first. Your state is one of the most Haflinger populated states so there should be some knowledge to gain there. As with all breeds, there are differences in them. We love ours but we knew a lot before we puchased, including the history and reputation of the owner/trainer.

They were bred to be good in the mountains of Austria so they can make very sure-footed mounts as well as wonderful driving horses. Even their coloring is very carefully judged in an attempt to keep the breed strong. There is a lot to learn about them.

Good luck finding a great horse of whatever breed for your mother.

Starwish

When this subject is all said and done the solution is going to be a draft horse cross. They are the only reasonably priced animals you will find to fill this need. One really nice thing is a horse like that has so many other things it can be used for it will be one of the most versatile animals you will ever have. On point I would like to revisit is the use of three year old horses for gaming and racing. I do not care who all is doing it "with good results" it is not a smart thing to do at all. Go to a flat track and you will find many three year olds racing and because of the January first birthday rule they are only two in many cases. Check out the triple crown, all three year olds. While at a harness track look around at the horses. There are many horses RACING at the age of twelve or thirteen years!!!!! Where do you think the former three year race horses are ? Many of them end up as dog food !!! (I think this was covered pretty well in another threadjust a few days ago) What do you think the difference is ? They are not being ridden and having the joints of their legs pounded when they are adolescents. A person gaming a three year old should hide their head. The damage done can never be reversed and leaves a horse suffering in pain for many years as they get older. They end up lame and tender in a pasture (or a kill pen) when they should have many years of service left.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if perhaps you were thinking FJORDS but saying Haflingers.... FJORDS are a lot more solidly built and drafty... but as I mentioned earlier - a draft cross is probably going to be more affordable...

Latest posts

Back