How much room does a mini need in a trailer? Trying to prevent "turnaround".

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 4 stalls in our trailer were custom made to fit and are each 21" wide and the metal mesh dividers are about 11" from the bottom we always drive them tied they can't turn around or rear up and they have never fallen down because they have the sides to brace themselves on it's easy on legs ribbed rubber matts are under the shavings and poop stays behind them...plus a cam up in the truck is a handy way of keeping an eye out for anything that could go wrong back there. Like the mare who had her slinky get into her eyes making her blind when she was rubbing her head on the divider so we pulled over and fixed that for her before she panicked..

It depends on the horse who I tie. My paint never needed to be tied. Shed load up , ride, and stand like a dream. Never knew she was back there. She wouldn't even nibble hay, just look out the window like a dog. She is an odd horse like that though! My mini I tie though. He rides in the front of a 2 horse bumper pull, as he likes to ride sideways. Obviously no other horses in the trailer at the time. I tie him to the chest bar and provide hay. He doesn't go anywhere. I've always been blessed with easy to trailer horses.

I NEVER tie a horse, in fact, I take the halter off. Also, I will NEVER set up a trailer so that the horse is forced to ride facing forward. There was an extensive study done by a university (sorry, it's been a long time so I cannot remember for sure which one, but I think it was Kentucky). They found that heart and respiratory rates were highest (showing signs of anxiety/distress) when facing straight forward. Heart/respiratory rates were lowest when riding totally backwards. The were slightly elevated but not alarmingly so when riding at the slant. My trailer is set up with stalls big enough they can turn around at will and you will usually find them with their rear ends to the noisiest (passing traffic) side of the trailer.

There was an old thread on here with th question of to tie or not to tie. And I think I remember most being against tying (and taking the halter off). Based on that I had made the plan to not tie her. So I'm still debating with myself if I should a) giver enough room to turn and not tie or b) tighten the space so she can brace herself better and tie her up. I know she's very impatient when she's tied, paws etc. she traveled very easy in the back of the SUV, just stood there and watched the cars behind us. But I can't predict how she will act in the trailer so I'm kinda clueless. I think I may go with the bigger space and halter off first, I can always make it smaller later.

That was her in the SUV when we picked her up

ad81654dbfa41b54409cdd660d23c994_zps07a0a7ee.jpg

We travel all our minis in 'compartments', 4' x 3'3", fully boarded from floor to approx 3'6" with grills/mesh above so they can see each other, headcollars off. They have room to move round and position themselves how they want to be comfortable - most choose to face backwards. Also, unless we are driving on one of our Motorways or a long straight duel carriageway, we drive slowly enough that there is never any need for them to 'brace' themselves, in fact most of them just stand there and dose the whole journey including those who are first time travellers.

I would give her the space, drive slowly/carefully and see how it goes.
default_yes.gif

Ok so here are the pics, I finished "my part" today, I finally found someone with a plasma cutter and knowledge to put the window in that got here today - this is the before

20130413_173125_zps7cc859e9.jpg

Here's the after ( window will be installed in the divider wall to the left of the hay bag at about 3-4' height. It's a custom made steel jail bar with small spacing)

20130419_175720_zpsc56ad4be.jpg

20130419_182616_zps6180341d.jpg

The ramp - she goes p and down perfectly and slow, back or forward down
default_smile.png

20130419_182145_zps8f451b55.jpg

20130419_182013_zpsd40206c8.jpg

Just enough space to turn around

20130419_181839_zpsf788bebb.jpg

Thank you to everyone for your advice!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts