How much oil for weight gain?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue S

Reaction score
Hi, have a couple horses that need a little weight put on, how much do I give them and what kind of oil Corn or veg.

Corn oil has long been "the" oil that horsemen gave their horses, but I think this is mainly due to taste.

I personally always give Soybean oil to my horses, it is probably the most calories per dose.

I would start off with a tablespoon and increase from there if you don't see results.

Andrea

JMO but if you're trying to fill your horses out especially if it's across the topline, I'd use beet pulp. (some swear by it others say it's an old wives tale) I used the corn oil for 2 seasons and it does great with their coats but it didn't add much weight to my young horse. Last year I used beet pulp (and corn oil) and he seemed to fill out much better. This year I'm using beet pulp but with flaxseed for the coat.

Sorry forgot you asked amount : I started with tablespoon over their morning feed for a week then added it over the evening feed and finally increased that to 2 tablespoons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use beet pulp, alfalfa cubes and grain and they are on schdule for worming. I only give them their grain once aday and thats at noon along with the other stuff, they are feed hay 3 times aday. Morning late afternoon and when hubby gets home at midnight. they get 2 cups of grain aday. With 18 horses, 7 big and 11 minis it gets alittle expensive.

are these minis? Also - what are you trying to do, fill out a topline, just put weight on???

Thanks!

I agree. Beet pulp is the best way to put weight on without getting the excess weight everywhere. In a month's time, you'll see a great improvement. Keeps them healthy, with great weight and in still great show shape.
default_smile.png

Actually, I had a weanling that I bought that was very underweight. I put her on pasture for the summer and fall and now she's good as new. But I'm sure you don't have pasture avaiable this time of year.

Latest posts

Back