How much hay to feed a mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am new to the forum... Not sure if this is how you ask a question but I think so... So here I go! my question is I have 2 miniatures one a 1.5 year old mare and the other is a 1year and 4month old gelding. When I weighed them on a scale they where 175 pounds right now they are about 30-31 inches. And I was wondering how many flakes of hay to feed?They are show minis and getting 20 minutes of free lunging 4-6 times a week. Plus, 1/3 cup of a vitamin pellet and 1 cup of a juvenile pellet and a bit of flax for their coat. 2x daily. The amount of hay that they get now is pretty much free choice, I would say between the two they get 6 flakes. (That would last them eating all day almost) My gelding has got a hay belly and barley a good top line, i have struggled with him to get him in a show condition, but not going so well. and my mares a little porky but not bad. She's got a good top line. She's easier to balance out. I am just worried about not giving them enough, or two much! Also any helpful suggestions to fix my geldings belly and top line would be great too! (It's not worms that are causing the belly he's been tested) he's nice in his neck and hind quarters, just the belly and top line that could use some work.

Thanks!!!!!

Probably more juvenile feed would help the topline on the gelding, some just take more than others. Another option might be some alfalfa (hay, cubes or pellets, depending on what you can get); the higher protein in alfalfa would help his topline.

At only 175# each, they need about 3.5# to 5.25# feed daily; and it's a balancing act to determine how much feed and how much hay for each horses, some do quite well on plenty of good hay and a vit/min supplement or ration balancer (lower calorie diet), others need a bit less hay and a bit more feed to look good (bit higher calorie).

Welcome to the Forum SKMdreamersminis,

I agree with 100% with Chanda
default_smile.png

My little colt had the same problem when I purchased him years ago. I believe he had only been given grass hay before I got him. I switched him over to a blend of hay that included alfalfa and slowly introduced him to a foal feed and grain.

Some will take longer than others, but the protein in alfalfa will sure help him.

best of luck and welcome
default_smile.png

Ok thanks! How much of the alfalfa cubes should I feed? Which is better pellets or cubes? I soak all my feed to prevent them from choking. So the bigger size of a cube wouldn't be a problem.

Work him up to like 1/2# to start and give it a little time to see what it does for him, then increase or decrease to fit his needs. If you are soaking everything, then I'd probably try the cubes first, as they'll provide more long-stem fiber than the pellets (if they seem to coarse, you can always change to the pellets).

Preface to my comments: We have non-show horses for whom my only desire is good health. I wouldn't know a good topline if it kicked me in the buttocks--I'm betting all of ours have "sub-standard toplines."

In my opinion, "flakes" are a difficult unit of measure for discussing amounts of hay to feed. Chandab mentioned feeding hay by weight. That's what I do. But I would have to argue with her suggestions on pounds of hay per day. For your 175 lb horse, 3.5 to 5.25 lbs hay seems like w-a-a-y too much. Forget all the other things mentioned that you're going to feed to perk up the topline.

I just dug out my vet files. Our three are around 30-32 inches tall. When Baby had laminitis, she was at 272 lbs --vet recommendation was 3 lb hay per day. I didn't even go there; because I had already learned on Nicky. When Nicky was in there for his eye injury he was at 297 lbs. They recommended 3.75 lb to start. He doesn't eat that much; never did; still doesn't. I have experimented on his hay intake a little bit, because he quits eating and saves some for later. No way I would do that with Baby; she eats and never quits. At most, they each get just under 3 lbs a day, depending on what's in the hay.

Not sure what free-lunging is. I run Nicky around on a long-line because he's blind and getting worse. Ours are able to go outside the stalls 24/7. I let the two girls out in the long pasture at least once a day and encourage them to run all-out for probably a couple miles a day. (..depending on weather.) The girls get a lot more exercise than Nicky.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made recommendations based on 2-3% of bodyweight in feed daily, for a horse that needs to gain weight (and also young horses). Easy keepers, then 1.5-2% of bodyweight daily is plenty. Nutritionists recommend an absolute minimum of 1% of bodyweight daily in hay/forage (fiber) for gut health.

My senior stallion is 31" and 175#; he gets 1.75# senior feed daily and free choice hay (which for him is only a couple pounds tops daily, he doesn't eat that much hay). My young stallion is 35" and 300# (he is my lightest B-size horse); he gets 1/2# complete pellets, 1/2# grass hay pellets and 3 flakes of hay (I'd have to weigh it for sure, but it's probably 5-6# of hay), he doesn't have an ounce of fat on him. The mares are a different story, they are easier keepers, so mostly get hay and now that it's winter and mostly quite cold, they get free choice hay along with 1/2# complete pellets for their vit/min. [summer the girls get a little grazing in the morning, and hay at night, probably about 3-5# each.]

At to topline, the spine and hips should be covered with flesh; you shouldn't be able to see them, and it should take light pressure to feel the spine and hips; just like checking the ribs. And, in winter putting your hands on to feel through the hair is really important.

My two (and I am sorry but I do not lunge or round pen an animal under a full two years old) get free run of an acre, with the stable doors left open (shed row of foaling boxes split internally) and ad lib hay in the stalls. There is not much grazing at this time of year. They get six cups each of mixed feed (I make my own) and grass hay chaff, mixed with beet pulp, split into two feeds. The grass chaff means that they take a long time to eat their feeds, which is good as it means more of the feed is digested. They do get grass nuts which have a guaranteed 16% protein, soaked, as well, I think about 4-6 cups (I use a large scoop it is easier) also mixed in. It seems to me you are not feeding enough protein (which is the cause of a "hay" belly, not the amount of hay) and if you are going to get them into show condition (I am not even going there until after Christmas, btw!) you need more protein. They will automatically cut down on the amount of hay they eat, so long as they have plenty of other things to do- mine spend most of the day annoying one another and running around, this all helps build muscle which, in turn, builds a good top line. Of course, conformation comes to this as well. Pictures of your babies would help (AND we just LOVE seeing them anyway!!)

Welcome to the Forum from sunny England, where the weather is mostly REALLY windy and .........NASTY, at the moment!!

Thank you all for replying. I am going to up the amount of Juvinle feed that he gets( it has 14% protein.) he"ll eat that till he's 2 in Aug. then I will probley be back on to ask what to feed next! It's more just playing than actual lunging, I just want to make sure that they stay active. They have a HUGE padock to run and play. They do lots in a day cause There's the big horses in the field next to them. They bother the older mini whos their "babysitter" they all run together.

I am not sure how... But I will figure out how to upload a few pics. All my recent photos they have their blankets on. (They only reason I blanket Is cause I clipped them really late in the season and did by feel it was fair not to) I have a few from the summer that would work

This was back in July when he was really bad! I was trying every thing I call trainers, feed companies, nutrialnest every one I could possible think of. I even had my vet out to look and make sure all was good. And it was.

image.jpg

This one is of him in aug just after his 1st bday. And he was in a feed plan from a trainer. I like that feed program but It was really expensive and I felt it did not do a ton for him. And the other one is of my filly. That was in August as well she looked pretty good I thought. she took to that feed program pretty well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

He does look like a lot of yearlings that need to have their protein upped. Either in concentrate form or in hay form. The filly actually looks pretty good!

The type of hay seems to affect weight, too, as well as the individual quality of each bale. A flake of alfalfa is completely different in weight to a "same size" flake of any type of grass hay or timothy hay. Then, too, different balers (the baling machine) pack/size flakes different - in different parts of the country. That is why you've been recommended to weigh your hay. Each type of hay is also different in nutrient value/per pound.

What I finally found that worked on one of our guys, and in short order, was a tube of Probiotics (yucky paste, dosed for him over several days) and then being put on "Body Builder". The next thing I did was to put him in a paddock w/ his two year mates (he was born end of Aug, they born mid Apr) but also w/ 2 slightly older geldings (4yrs) who both chase them and play with them. The extra exercise means he's hungry at feeding time (he would stand at his bucket and not eat - every couple of days - SO FRUSTRATING). Then I introduced alfalfa pellets - going completely free choice for all of them (5 ponies ranging in age from 1 - 4 yrs of age and from 30 - 40" in height at the withers) - OMG that turned into a lot of alfalfa pellets VERY QUICKLY(when I actually measured it weight wise - they were cleaning up 37-40 lbs daily for about 1 month!). After the 1 yearling and 1 4 yr old gelding started getting really bulked up & FAT and the others all started looking good to great, I started cutting them all back so that instead of having alfalfa pellets in front of them 24/7 they got to the point where they literally got it added to their buckets individually after they cleaned up their feed and the two "chubs" got cut waaayyyy back.

This colt didn't go back to not eating/finishing his feed until we moved them from their home, to temporary quarters (we moved out of our leased farm on Nov 20th, ponies were moved the weekend of the 15th of Nov. The closing on our new farm keeps getting pushed back - started at Dec 4th, now at Dec 19th. Will have to put up fence before we can move the ponies in - will be a change from county water to well water along w/ different pasture. Feed will be the same and hay will be the same for now as the current supply at their temporary quarters). After 3 weeks, he's still not where he should be as far as finishing his feed and I will be getting some tummy soother for him this next weekend (pepto bismol works in a pinch, & should have gotten the other sooner but...) as he also got nasty diarrhea after this move along w/ not eating... He has lost some weight again and it shows on his top line and in his belly - same as your colt. He is on pasture (scrub/bunch grass and sand) and free choice coastal hay round bales (different supplier). Both the move and the change in hay upset his system. He is the 2nd pony I've had in 3 years that will refuse to eat at all if you take him away from his buddies - starting when he was weaned from his dam even though he was eating just fine at her side. He turned a true year old on August 31st while his "year mates" are going to be 2 in just 4 months. He has never gotten any separate exercise other than being free w/ his dam and his year and pasture mates. Once I start this guy on a tummy soother, I will keep him on it at the new place for a while and I will also have to get more Body Builder as I used up what I had (it was only a partial, older bottle).

We had one filly that was in a show barn in 2012 as a yearling and the trainer handling her put her on Ani-Meds - ulcer product (have to research the name - can't remember what it's called). I can't get it here in NC unless I have a vet scrip and then have to order it. Unlike in the mid-west, it isn't carried by tack/feed stores here - and the two that I frequent the most said that they can't just order it in unless they have a scrip on file. Made a huge difference in her - not only in body condition but also her personality... It was not a drug, but is (or was?) a feed supplement. Maybe now it's considered a drug? and that's why it needs a scrip here? I sold that filly with her dam last Christmas.

Hmmm, I just went thru a lot of pictures - it seems that here in NC, I've had problems of one sort or another with all of our later born foals (aug/sept) when they are in their "yearling" year. ALL have developed some type of belly as well as going off feed at one point or another. In some cases, simply switching a wormer or doing a Panacur PowerPac worked. Others required a huge boost in protein and/or some type of belly soother. ONE had a tumor in his abdomen and at 19 months of age was euthanized (not from our breeding program and dam not re-bred before sold). This was a total of 8 ponies/minis over a 17 year period and living on 2 different properties. 4 of those were purebred Shetlands (3 are "B" sized minis) in 2011, 2012 and 2013... Very strange and another reason for me to love having babies between January and April!! (though that probably had nothing to do with it overall...)

The how-much-to feed scares me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I really do not understand feeding the amounts of hay recommended here. I have "last-known" weights on Nicky and Baby. And I've taken the time to do a "real" height measurement on Baby when I ordered her pack saddle. She's 31-inches. Nicky and Coco are slightly taller by about a half-inch. Depending on which vet is looking at them, they're all too fat.

All we feed is hay. And some vitamins called HorseGuard (recommended by vet.) And that's it. ....oh, and some pasture. Maybe that's the problem? But I walk out there, and the pasture looks like moss.

One percent of body weight... yeah ok. But any higher percent of body weight of hay just seems like w-a-y too much hay. And then one should feed other stuff too? Nicky (who is probably the fattest would not eat more than about 3 lb per day, with some of that ending up as waste because he likes to shovel through it to get the leafy stuff.) I don't know; maybe our hay here is wonderfully nutritious; I still can't see feeding that much (for example 3 percent would be 7.5 lbs hay?) There's got to be something going on here that I don't understand.

Regarding lunging...

As some sort of training exercise I guess it makes sense to run a horse around in circles?

I don't lunge anybody except Nicky, who's pushing 20--so that should be ok for his legs. He learned how to do it where he came from.He seems to like it; I'm deducing this because he sometimes tries to run when I'm leading him on halter. So I took that stud chain recommended by the one trainer and put it on the lunge line as kind of an extension (not over his nose; he doesn't like that) that way Nicky can hear the chain rattling under his chin and know that it's ok to run around in circles.

Baby's going to be 3 years old next spring; I wonder if I should try to figure out how to teach her to run in circles on a long line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here ours get way more than 1% of body weight. Mine would be starving on that. My herd ranges from 33" up to 44" and they average about 12 lbs per day. This winter my hay is richer that it needs to be, but I have to buy what is available. My bigger ponies are too fat; the minis are about right. One could use a little more weight. A little under 1/2 the herd gets grain once a day--the pasture horses get hay only.

My pony stallion is too fat now--but in show season 2013 I couldn't keep his top line rounded--keeping him in show condition meant he was getting 6 pounds of grain per day, plus hay. He is a 41" Shetland, measures 38.75 as a Mini (with more foot than the average Mini). I was glad that he did not need that much this year to keep him nicely rounded!!

Latest posts

Back