How much hay should they be eating?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseyGurl22

Reaction score
My 2 mini's aren't eating as much hay as I thought they would and seem to be wasting quite a lot of it.

I have been throwing out 2 flakes (1 for each) of coastal hay twice a day and there is always a lot of it left over.

Should I cut the down to 1/2 a flake each twice a day. Is that enough?

My 2 mini's aren't eating as much hay as I thought they would and seem to be wasting quite a lot of it.

I have been throwing out 2 flakes (1 for each) of coastal hay twice a day and there is always a lot of it left over.

Should I cut the down to 1/2 a flake each twice a day. Is that enough?
Depends...

Horses should get about 1.5% to 2% of there bodyweight in feed a day. So, if your minis weigh 250#, they should be getting 3.75# to 5# feed a day (hay and grain, with around 2/3 or more of that being hay).

Do you have any way to weigh your hay? Those flakes could be anywhere from a couple pounds each to 5 pounds each.

I feed grass hay and for the winter my minis are getting free choice hay. They do waste and leave some, but I figure they are picking out the choices bits and getting what is best for them. [Luckily we have cows, so I just give the cows whatever the minis don't eat.] Come summer, I will limit them somewhat to the recommended 1.5% to 2% of their BW.

I'm not a vet or nutritionist, just sharing what I've read and what works for me.

I hate waste so I put out just what they will clean up.

If I bring a low quality hay in here, the horses will let me know real quick because they'll spread it around and poop on it.

If they start leaving it, I would then think something is wrong with the hay and be checking it for mold or not good quality or palatability. I know there is a lot of hay out there that the minis simply cannot chew up like a big horse can. It would leave me to wonder and worry that in the dead of winter, the horses would be leaving thier hay like that. I'd be examining it closely. There's a good chance that it may be full of weeds and that is what they are leaving behind. Check it out.

As long as it is good hay, I have found that my minis wasted more when the hay was put on the ground as opposed to a feeder that kept it in tact as they ate it... Some how the ground will pick up odors after a while, that the horses may turn their noses up at in the end. Since Ive been useing feeders outdoors, they waste a lot less.... What doesent get eaten one day gets eaten the next.

Last edited by a moderator:
We weight our hay and so have a pretty good idea of how much each is getting, about 3-4 lbs a day, and more in really cold weather. A "flake" can weigh anything from 2-5 lbs depending on the quality of the hay, size of the flake, etc. Definitely do cut back on hay or begin weighting and you'll have a much better idea of how much they are consuming. If it's just being wasted, then they don't need it.

We feed enough that there's always a little bit left over. To me, that means they're eating enough. These are broodmares & stay at home kids. Show horses are different.

If you could put it up in a rack they would not waste it. I hate putting it in the ground for that reason.

Hmm, so maybe I'll try a feeder. I think maybe they just don't like to eat what's touching the ground
default_rolleyes.gif
: Can anyone give me ideas for easy to build or bargin hay feeders?

I use those big tubs to put my hay in. The minis like to stand in them.

Andrea

Even when I feed hay outdoors its put in a feeder. They have hay 24/7 free choice. My hay is excellent quality and little goes to waste. But I do think you might be overfeeding just a tad at (if my math is right) two flakes a day per horse. A simple wood slated horse feeder can be made in less than an hour and your horses will be happier. I also feed (in normal years) three times a day plus a goodnight treat and feed just before I go to bed.

Mine get as much as they want but if they start messing (the ones in the field that is) and not getting on with the job of eating I know they are not that hungry.....I leave the hay anyway but it does seem no matter what method you feed them hay they will always have some underfoot after a while. My friend says they do that to keep their feet warm in this cold weather!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've only had my two boys for a week but I was told to split one fleck between the two of them in the morning and one in the evening. They aren't eating it all but I just hung the fleck feeders today so it might be the ground.

Latest posts

Back