How much hay do you keep around per mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlottein

Reaction score
Hi, I am preparing for the arrival of my mini, and wondering how much hay I should buy and keep on hand at a time? He is 31" and the breeder said he eats a flake a day. Not sure how many flakes in a bale to calculate how many bales per month and how many months I should keep stocked since I know you don't want to overstock and end up with old hay.

Well, come fall, all hay starts becoming old hay, as its only cut and baled during the growing season; but how much you'll need will depend on how big your mini is. I buy/store 1 to 1.5 tons of hay per mini for the year, depending on the size of the mini; I have a couple rather small minis, so they only need about 1 ton to get through the year, but the bigger minis need about 1.5 tons. I go through roughly one 70-75# bale per week per mini, a little less with my smallest stallion.

When summer haying season comes we buy enough hay to get us thru till the next haying season.

I don't want to be caught paying feed store prices come January or February - prices sky rocket as

our good hay comes across the mountains and often the passes are closed due to avalanche control, etc.

So I'd say it depends on your location and access to good quality hay. If you've a feed store close by

that always has consistent quality hay and good prices in the winter and till the next haying season then

you can probably get by with less and supplement as you need it.

We have good pasture in the summer but hay consumption goes up in the cold rainy winter months, even

more if we get a winter with snow.

We weigh everything that is fed to the minis. Flakes can vary in weight depending on bale weight and

variety of hay.

I think Chanda's rule of thumb, seeing as you're in Colorado, might work well for you.

A lot depends on your horse's size, amount of exercise, and how cold it gets in winter. Hay is the heat producer...not grain. When I lived up in northern Wisconsin there were some days that I would more than DOUBLE the amount of hay just to keep them warm.

Jean B made a good point about winter feeding versus warm weather feeding. We always increase our hay during winter. And you will also notice that often bales have different sized flakes. It's not a bad idea to weigh the flakes as you feed so that eventually you'll be able to figure out how far a bale will go for you.

For us, a flake of our local orchard grass weighs about 4 lbs. A mini that's under 34" gets two meals off that during the summer around here. During winter time we feed them the whole flake for one meal.

Well I am glad I asked then, I did not know that about winter!

I am setting up his pen as well, what is the best type of feeder for the hay? Maybe something to make sure he eats slow? Or would it be better just on the ground - no sand here so no worry about sand colic.

Cant really advise you as I'm in the UK, but I will second the fact that in cold or continuous wet weather you may well have to double up the hay amount. Here all my female herd live out 24/7 (we have plenty of grass) but the boys are stabled at nights and out all day - they have ad lib hay to eat at night, because I follow the 'natural' way of doing things and like to keep my lot 'trickle' grazing as and when they want. I do feed directly off the ground as it is the natural way for a horse to eat and also I have been told by my vets that uneven wear on the teeth can be caused by a horse always having it's food or hay above ground level.

But a lot will depend upon the age, temperament, metabolism, work, grass availability, other feed supply etc, but in my opinion, you can never have too much good hay in your barn from haymaking time - if you find that you have plenty left in February/March I'm sure there would be another desperate horse person who would be thrilled to buy it off you!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back