How much hay do I need??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimayhem

Reaction score
I know this may sound like a question I should already know the answer too, but when we had more horses, rounds worked best for our situation. Now that I may be keeping the last two...how many square bales of hay do I need to get me every month?? One's a gelding, one's a stallion, both a bit overweight as it is...they are not used to show.

It would be a grass/timothy mix hay.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What time do you usually feed hay from and until- for instance I only feed hay January to March, so I think I used 150 small bales for 20 horses last year.

My small square grass bales are about 55-60 pounds each. I go through about 2 bales per week for two minis (one yearling to mature at 33" and one 35" two-year old). They are also getting some 12% complete pellets (just for reference, as their hay isn't their only fiber source).

I'm looking forward to DH hauling large rounds home, so I don't go through the little squares so fast (we have cattle so have lots of large rounds, but limited small squares). We have some nice grass hay in large rounds, out in the field and plenty of cattle to feed the non-horse quality hay too.
wink.gif

My small square bales are about 35lb each (because I have to lift them) and four animals have hay 24/7. In total we go through about four a week. In addition they get a bit of beet pulp.

Thanks for your responses. I usually have to feed hay 8 or 9 months out of the year, during the summer it just depends on how well the pastures are growing.

I'll go with 3 or 4 per week to be safe, incase winter is a bad one.

Latest posts

Back