How much for a beginner safe driving horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowcapped

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am currently keeping an eye out for beginner safe broke driving horses and was wondering how much I should expect to pay? Prefer something in the 32"-36" range. Ultimately looking for something that will be trail safe as that is what I am interested in doing most at the moment.

Thanks!

My friend got a nice 16 year old gelding for $600 which included a harness. I have sold a 5 year old for $600--no harness.

You might want to beware of horses that have only shown in a show ring; sometimes they are not suitable for a beginner.

Look for an older horse at first. They are usually more sensible and maybe priced better.

Are there any shows in your area or Fun Shows/Clinics sponsored by a local club? That is sometimes a good place to look.

Horses that are professionally trained generally cost more than owner-trained. Sellers have a lot more $$ invested in the horse. Professionally trained, you are probably looking at $1500 to start and it will go up.

A head's up--be sure the seller will let you try out the horse. Don't take his word for it that the horse is a good driving horse. Beware the seller who says he doesn't have the equipment for you to try out the horse.

It would depend on the horse. IF (never happen, though!) I would have to sell my Sunny, he's easily go for $3000. Dead broke, we put all the newbies behind him. Reserve National grand Champion in WCP, trail drives, parades- been there, done that.

I've been trying to sell my 30" gelding and haven't had much luck. He's enthusiastic, but safe. He does parades, trail drives, show ring. Not a good pleasure show horse, he just doesn't have the action like the big boys do. In obstacle, he'll turn on a dime. But, no one seems interested and I sure won't give him away. *shrugs*

You will find the average well-trained gelding going for $500, and that isn't a price that has changed much throughout the years. Look at $1k if he comes with his own cart and harness. Worth that? I think a well-trained horse is always worth much more than the average going price!

You will find the average well-trained gelding going for $500, and that isn't a price that has changed much throughout the years. Look at $1k if he comes with his own cart and harness. Worth that? I think a well-trained horse is always worth much more than the average going price!
See, I think that's WAY too low. I can't train a horse for that amount, let alone SELL a trained one for that! I see unbroken, unregistered horses for that amount on Craigslist, not well trained, double registered driving horses.

I've decided to have my boy professionally trained for me. I'm hoping that he will enjoy having something to do.

See, I think that's WAY too low. I can't train a horse for that amount, let alone SELL a trained one for that! I see unbroken, unregistered horses for that amount on Craigslist, not well trained, double registered driving horses.
I agree with you, but that is just what the going rate has been for the last 16 years around here. But it's probably less now
default_sad.png
That's why I like my little itty bitty farm. If I can't sell them for what I think they're worth, I'm happier keeping them. My husband, who doesn't admit to even liking them, gets offended when I even think about selling one of my girlies! (Between us, I think he's attached too!)

Last edited by a moderator:
$1000 minimum for something broke, sound, and safe. You can pay less, there are certainly deals out there, but less than $1000 for something that is broke, sound and beginner safe is a red flag to me, whether it's a mini or a riding horse.

It is too bad that buyers don't recognize the value of a safe driving (or safe ANY) horse. I would ask them "How much do you think your child/wife/husband's safety and health is worth?" To me (as I think other posters on here will agree) that a really SAFE, well-trained driving mini should be worth its weight in gold. Mine are NOT for sale. Just remember that you tend to get what you pay for - not always of course, but a lot of the time. Because in addition to safe, you want healthy and good conformation, because without those, your safe horse can develop problems over time that might make him unsafe.

Just remember that you tend to get what you pay for - not always of course, but a lot of the time. Because in addition to safe, you want healthy and good conformation, because without those, your safe horse can develop problems over time that might make him unsafe.
I wish everyone remembered this. I bet I get 5 emails/comments a month from people wanting a dead-broke driving mini . . . for $500 or less. The real kicker is when they say 'oh it doesn't have to be quality or fancy'. Just how easily can a poor-quality mini, I know I see some bad ones on craigslist every day(short, steep shoulder, bad stifle, no length of hip and a neck that ties in so poorly there is no place to put a breast collar) how can that animal comfortably, and thus safely, pull a cart?!?!

I consider $500-$1500 (and up I guess for something extraordinary) a fair price for a prospect, or something that has had some training, or is still green to be a fair price.

Reality is... with the market and the economy, getting a fair price is a rarity right now. Buckle down and hold on to what you have unless you are willing to take a loss. It also depends on your location. Certain locations minis are more popular than other places.

I currently have two well trained driving ponies for sale at $500. The only reason they aren't priced higher is they ARE OLDER. They aren't show ponies trained for the current ASPC show ring (they did show in the Draft class in TX at one show). They need some refining - they could go to Congress w/o problems - in Draft Hitch. They aren't on my sales page at the moment - I'd had them on and actually got phone calls until local people realized that they were 21 and 22 yrs old. They all FREAKD OUT - saying they should be euthanized rather than being sold (the one mare wasn't even halter broke at 16 yrs of age when I purchased her) - that I was selling broken down ponies that no-one else should have to take care of. Of course, these are the "same folk" (not all the same callers) that said I have so many ponies, I should just give some to them for NO CHARGE... Or they tell me they can go to the Auction (s) and get one that is driving for $50 - 300. I just respond that they can... (and I've seen both good and bad with the horses coming from various auctions in our area. I've helped 3 different neighbors or acquaintances with several of those - some good, some bad).

These are my "pulling ponies" that I've written so much about on this forum. I thought I'd advertise them for sale to someone who needed a nice pony that is older with some miles on them at "reasonable" prices... The younger ponies that I have for sale with less training (they are started but green and little mileage) for higher prices - the same people aren't interested in...

I figure the right home (s) will come along and they'll go then OR I'll keep them and maintain them until they are ready to "move on". Until then, they are "anchors" to the green ponies I'm bringing along.

A couple that I have priced much higher reflect ONLY the cost of the professional trainer (s) that they spent time with - and if sold at what I have them advertised at would actually be a loss for "me" - our farm. The two show ponies that were campaigned in halter and competed in ASPC/AMHR Futurities - are currently advertised at less then what I spent to have them at the trainer (s) they were with (neither of them is driving or even ground driving yet - one is still a little "she-witch" to catch). I'm starting the one myself now and the other will be started later this winter or next spring. Their prices should go up - but will they? - ???

I didn't breed any mares for next year, simply because we are at where we can be. I have enough to do what I enjoy and actually have enough that it's very difficult to work with the ones consistently that need to be worked with. I should have planned a little better - I purchased a few I probably shouldn't have. But my herd is what it is and I'm working with them as I can. I can say one thing - I'm learning a lot as none of them (even the ones that are full siblings) have the same dispositions, personalities or work ethics!

A lot of folks in this area don't care if the horse or pony is registered or what is behind them (either in proper care or breeding - mini, pony or big horse). Some will find out exactly what problems come from auction horses and some will find out that it costs more to care for a horse properly than what they thought. Most just want "in-expensive" horses that are broke, broke, broke. Most people that I've spoken to in the past few years are people that are rank beginners that don't understand that a trained horse, with experience/miles, is worth his weigh in gold.

I have to admit - I couldn't afford some of the ponies I originally looked at. BUT, I understood where the pricing was coming from, we simply didn't have it on a single, working military income with 3 small children when we started. I followed bloodlines and learned some of what I was looking for. I took out a bank loan to purchase our first two Shetlands and have also done some creative financing to purchase others since. I went with unhandled ponies simply because I had years of basic horse care knowledge and both horsemanship instruction and training experience from when I was a youth and I really enjoyed it, so figured I'd go that route. It worked for me. When I've run into problems - I knew to call for help. I called a great many trainers and instructors over the years, attended clinics and still take lessons to this day as there is always more to be learned.

I sold young, 1/2 shetland pony crosses (some were started under saddle &/or shown, most were weanlings/yearlings) 10 years ago for more than what I have some of our ponies advertised at now.

If you were closer I'd be seriously interested in one or both of your girls. I'm looking for ones to haul a sleigh for me. The minis can do it but something just a little bigger would be better. Also we are looking for something quiet and bigger for my husband to drive.

If you were closer I'd be seriously interested in one or both of your girls. I'm looking for ones to haul a sleigh for me. The minis can do it but something just a little bigger would be better. Also we are looking for something quiet and bigger for my husband to drive.
Awww, that's so sweet. You know that I had both of the mares hauled from up North (but still USA) to a meeting place in Iowa and picked them up... Actually - those two - Bit came down from MN, Koalah (not the one for sale) came from UT and I met the both in Iowa and added Bell and 4 others to the mix.

I know that a well trained , safe horse is worth it's weight in gold. However , I could not afford that horse, so i was very lucky that I kept my cart and harness for the 6 years i didn't drive. i saw on Craig's list that some people were selling several geldings that were trained and street wise. I went out to see them and found a skinny bay stud (4 years old). He had 4 drives on him. He was priced at $500. i wouldn't have bought him, but i saw something in his eyes that said pleade take me home. I did. and we did have one accident ( my dog scared him). but other than that he is fat and sweet and smart. We have had a ball. I got him in late August and have been camoing with him and drive at home. So. plan on looking for the one that wants to go home with you. By the way, the people i bought him from had had him only 2 weeks. they did not make him skinny, they saved him, they are good people and we are now good friends.

I agree with Paintponylvr, I have 22 and 21 year old geldings that are absolutely awesome! One multi pinto reinsmanship and driving champion/2 time reserve AMHA driving champion, the other multiple top 10 country pleasure/roadster horse. Both horses have had years of trail and show driving and I feel like the luckiest of women! Drove both of them this week-end for fun, fun, fun! I also have 2 fairly green horses, so I really appreciate the aged horses. (By the way, I wouldn't sell the aged boys either, but have loaned them to others to teach them how to drive.)

For a solid, safe, registered driving gelding that isn't fancy I would expect to pay $750-1000. For a nice but not fancy prospect that isn't driving, $ 400 -500. That's what our market out here is like.

I don't know how you can get a horse worth his salt for those prices. Mind you, Legend was in the top 5 stallions in 2011, obviously we paid more, and he wasn't even broke to drive, but... geez. I think we got a helluva deal. I was happy to pay the breeder's price.

I don't expect I would get a decent driving horse for 500, 1000, or even 1500 that I would care to look at for 30 years much less drive. Call me ignorant. But divide that out over a horse's lifetime and it doesn't make much difference in terms of cost, but a LOT of difference in terms of quality.

Y'all's horses are worth more than that.

Latest posts

Back