How much exercise?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebelZ

Reaction score
Just wondering how much you all exercise your minis to get them in show condition? I started with walking my obese mini for 90 minutes per day about a month ago, and I’m now starting to walk him for an hour, and trot him for 20 minutes (up and down hills as we have no flat land). He is losing weight and I will start to take him to shows in a couple weeks time even though he isn’t looking exactly how I would like him to. This is him today, keeping in mind that he will of course be clipped and his mane needs a good tidy up too!

Attachments

• EB26E49A-B1D8-4962-BEFD-5861D99154B2.jpeg
    EB26E49A-B1D8-4962-BEFD-5861D99154B2.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 6
You should be able to lay the width of your flat hand along his spine. If he is flat past that he is on the chubby side. If you teeter on his spine he is too thin. I hope you are driving him! If not YOU are going to be too thin to show! A round pen (or a square pen with rails across the corners to round it off) is a great place to exercise him without killing yourself if he doesn't drive

He's cute and should clean up quite nice.

One of my minis was really fat. His back was flat enough to set a table on. Put him on a crash diet, restricted his forage and introduced him to lunging, walking and teaching him tricks. Took about 6 months but he was in great shape. Solid as a rock.

Back