How much does it cost to

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
Has anyone ever got a mare fixed ( I do not know the tech term). Is it costly. I am talking about a miniature mare. Any ideas would be great.

The term would be to have her spayed... I am curious too. Have never had one done.

Spaying usually involves removing the uterous AND the overies, whereas the much more equine-common overectomy just removes the overies. It can cost $400-2000 depending HOW its done.

First, the reason this is rarely done in the equine world except for specific reasons (tease/jump mares, various cancers, etc) for a few reasons. Most importantly, its major abdominal surgery.

The most common way to ovex a mare is to lay her down on an opperating table and open her abdomen just like colic surgery. This involves anestesia, risk of infection, danger of recovery, etc. It also takes a few weeks to heal. This is a very involved surgery which can cost upwards of $1500.

The least common method is to enter the mare vaginally with a tool which basically pulls the overies off. This method is far less risky, heals much quicker, and is done standing. Unfortinately, most minis are too small to do this way. Plus, if anything goes wrong in the surgery it usually results in euthanasia. This method is FAR cheaper, sometimes as little as $200.

Zoey829

You can call Quakertown animal Hospital or The New Bolton center, I doubt most typical clinics would even attempt this. I couldn't tell you if Quakertown would even do it, but I am sure they could direct you to who would.

Carolyn

Wow that is a lot of money. I am not looking but I was just curious since a friend of mine was considering it. But prob not at that price.

How about this thought,my vet mentioned this to me because my mare goes through a hard heat cycle and I do not plan on breding her my guys are all fixed.The vet mentioned giving her a needle to stop the heat cycle, do not know what it is called or if there is any serious problems that could happen -- been trying to find information on the internet about it being given to minis.Just a thought and maybe someone reading this might have information on this.
default_unsure.png

Yes I did have one spayed and my vet (who is awesome with Minis) had a student and for the experience for the student only charged me the medication costs. It was $500.00. It was not a major abdominal surgury. The incision was only 6 inches or less and he took both ovaries and put them in a jar for us (Yuck). Unless cancer there is no reason to take the uterus. And it is much easier in a Miniature than a full sized horse and costs 1/4. She healed very quickly with no adverse affects except a much happier horse.

Would I do it again. Yep. I didn't think she should be bred for personal reasons but with her looks and pedigree I knew I would have no control once she left here.

And I sold her for $500.00 as a pet and was very upfront about her surgery- so would it be a good investment? NOPE but I was happy about what I did and that was all that mattered.

Regumate will stop hard cycles if you don't want to bred. Another option. I use injectable on one of my mares every 2 weeks and works great.

I did forget to mention one other method, which is what I think Kitty was talking about. The abdominal method is definately major surgery.

The third method is standing as well (just sedation, no anestesia). Two 6" incisions are made, one on each flank. The overies are removed that way. Scars will be left. This is probably the most "average" method... still a lot of healing, but not as risky as the vaginal method but not nearly as involved as the belly method. Most vets I've seen use this method charge about the same as the belly method, except with less recovery time/hospitalization. $1000-1500.

Good info Kitty.

I guess it depends on if you're trying to prevent pregnancy or just the hormone related cycling???

I'm surprised they can't just do a tubal ligation like they do in women to stop pregnancies.

I would assume (don't really know though) that the hormones given off by the ovaries would be needed as they are in humans.

It would be great if they did have a lower cost way of spaying mares - there are ones that just shouldn't be bred for a myriad of reasons.

I met a mare that had had a MARBLE inserted in her uterus. She was very nasty when she was in heat. I guess when a mare is pregnant the foal floats and rolls around. The marble rolling around in there makes them think there is a foal in there I guess. It was a university that recommended it. SHe is not nasty anymore, but still has heat cycles.

Hmmm

Emma

Some universities will suggest marbles, but there is no scientific basis nor any tested studies that show them actually having an effect other than as a placebo.

The usual problem with mares isn't pregnancy, its hormone related, so a simple tubal ligation wouldn't do any good. Not many people (other than me) keep mares with stallions without any intention of having foals.

Latest posts

Back