How much does everyone feed their weanlings?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normajeanbaker

Reaction score
How much grain and hay does everyone feed their weanlings on dry lots? How much per feeding and how many feedings per day? What is the protien % in your grain? Anyone give their weanlings supplements? If so, what? I know their is no "set in stone" amount, brand,etc of grain to feed weanlings...just curious as to what works for everyone.

Thanks in advance!!

Jen

My 2 foals are on dry lot except for 30 mins a day. The each get 10 oz of 12* pellet feed, 2x a day. They were on 14* but it was way to hot for them, temperature wise. But I will put them back on 14* for the winter. Shooter gets 1 oz 2x a day colt grow. And they both get alfalfa in the am and bermuda in the pm, they eat from their dams hay so I am not sure how much the eat.
rolleyes.gif
I hope this helps you, just remember not all foals are the same. What might work for mine may not work for yours...Theresa

Im sorry...I didn't see the Weanlings part, mine are still on their dams
wacko.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My horses are in dry lots. The weanlings get fed twice a day just like the adults. I feed a 12% protien pellet usually. Typically I have them up to 1 cup twice a day when I wean them. I start giving them thier own to start with about a handful then work up to weaning time. If they need it I up the amount, too fat and I decrease it. I typically have them eating 1/2 flake hay twice a day with the other horses (her/his portion would be about 1/2 flake twice a day). I dont' get those pot bellied weanlings either- they usually are a bit fat and getting in winter fuzzies for coming winter. I don't feed any suppliments. I do however worm babies every 3-4 weeks until a year old then every 6-8 weeks.

Tammie

Latest posts

Back