How much do minis cost yearly?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini2004

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a mini, but of course I'd want to provide a good home.
I do have a place to keep one for free, I'm just worried about other expenses such as shots, etc.

Many of the expenses will be region specific. A mini still needs it's hooves trimmed every 6-8 weeks, and that can range from $15-50 per trim, depending on the region; don't expect it to be cheaper just because it's a mini (and there could be a trip charge on top of the trim fee, especially if you have the only equine at the stop). Deworming will cost you a couple tubes of dewormer a year tops: so maybe $20-25 at most. At least some hay will need to be purchased, how much depends on if you need to feed it daily year round, or just during the winter and they can graze during the summer; hay prices vary by region, I've seen it priced from about $5/bale to over $20/bale (and about $125/ton to like $400-500/ton). How much hay you'll need will depend on how big the mini is and how many months of the year you need to feed hay; a smaller mini around 250# is going to need about 1 ton for a whole year, a larger mini in the 350# range will need 1.5 ton for the year or a bit more. While many minis don't need much for grain or supplements, they do need at least a ration balancer or vitamin mineral supplement to make up for what all forages lack; for one maybe $20/month for just that, more if they are a harder keeper so need more feed. Plus you'd have your initial expenses of the buying, transporting, picking up necessities (buckets, halter, lead, grooming supplies).
I've not broken down what I spend per head, so not sure what it costs me each; but I know I spend plenty to keep my baker's dozen, or a little more, minis plus two saddle horses and a mini donkey fed and healthy.
That's all I can think of this early in the morning.

I think it depends on how much hay and feed you need to buy. I get my horses' feet trimmed every 4 weeks and that is $55. Teeth done once a year and that can be $135 each. Vaccinations are personal preference. If you are boarding, some will be required.
I think I figured mine out one time at around $100 a month--including supplements/farrier/teeth/extra hay--averaged out through the year. But I have pasture and buy minimal hay. I don't do vaccinations any more.
For your first miniature, I would advise starting out with a nice, healthy one. There are surprise expenses all along with owning a horse, so don't start out with one that is unhealthy.

Oops, forgot a couple expenses, but can't nail down a price as they vary more by region...
Keeping at home, you need to consider fencing and shelter costs.
Dental and vet costs as well. Often the vet expensive is fairly minimal just being a yearly health exam and vaccinations. Minis are more prone to dental issues, so should be checked yearly.

As stated above, The INITIAL costs -- not just the price of purchase needs to be INCLUDED with the purchase. Things like the halter(s), lead rope, water bucket, grain dish, fencing, shelter, bedding if being stalled.

Once purchased, you will still need to budget farrier work (every area is different so ask around); whenever we do a hoof trim we worm and it's done by weight... about every 8 weeks....Basic vaccinations vary by region with what is necessary, so your vet can advise with that. The cost and dose is the same as a full sized horse. Feed also varies by region. Check with your local feed store to price out their grass hay, a 14 percent grain, and a salt/mineral block OR a salt/mineral Supplement to add to your grain. (We buy our hay by the ton from a local grower because we have so many mouths to feed, so it's cheaper than buying from the Feed Store.)

BTW, Good for you with doing your homework on what to expect and planning ahead!

Latest posts

Back