How many use heated water buckets??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
This will be my 3rd winter with my minis in our new little barn. The first winter was not too cold so I only had frozen water buckets one or two times. Last winter was very cold here in Va. and I had frozen water buckets almost daily for weeks even the ones in the stalls froze overnight. I have read and looked into the heated water buckets. Our local co-op has told me they are very safe and many people use them. So.....I bought one to use in their stall overnight. It got very cold here this past week so tonight I filled it and plugged it in. I am such a worry wart, I've checked on it several times tonight and all looks ok! I have it on the ground (stall mat) with the coil protected cord running out the stall door to the electric outlet. Only a few inches of the cord is actually in the stall. I'm still worried but I want them to have warm water at the same time........how many of you are using these buckets this winter and do you feel they are safe?????

I'm not sure which type heated buckets you're using. We bought a couple heated buckets (which we're not using this year, due to how our horses are housed/arranged.) The buckets we used for two years looked like this: http://www.amazon.com/API-Quart-Heated-Bucket-10FB/dp/B0028H5HUQ

We didn't get our buckets at Amazon (just put this up to show photo) we got them at our local co-op, but I'm pretty sure these are the ones.

Like you, I'm nervous about electrical around horses; especially around our Baby because she "messes" with everything. I liked this style bucket, because you could tuck the armored cable under the bucket. We never tried to use them inside; instead we attached to a fence post. [We had a convoluted arrangement where the bucket was strapped to the post, with the handle over a sturdy screw sunk into the post, which still allowed me enough flex so I could tip and empty--and we used zip-ties to keep any sort of cordage away from Baby's inquisitiveness.

Regarding safety... I can't comment on what horsies will or won't do to themselves. I feel relatively confident; however, that I can check out electrical safety of the unit (bucket)--which I did and liked enough to use. (Any doubt on my part--it gets returned or hits the trash---just not worth it to me to have horse hurt.)

Last edited by a moderator:
We've used heated buckets for almost 20 years now, and I wouldn't be without them! Knocking on wood here, but we've never had a problem with the horses messing with the cords. Our horses are brought in to dry lots at night, with access to barns. We keep the buckets inside the barns. One of the 5 gallon buckets is plenty for 2 horses. I clean and fill them at night when I feed, and only occasionally have to refill in the morning.

we have used heated buckets for several years in our sub freezing climate. They have been a life (and work) saver. We have a couple of 5 gallon buckets but most are 2 1/2 gallon buckets. Our outside troughs are also heated with a bottom style element. Wouldn't be without them!

I've used them for years and never had a problem. My horses don't mess with the cords. Even when empty they haven't burned down the barn. The only thing you have to "worry" about is if the horses quit drinking out of them, check the water with your fingers once and a while to see if they get a shock. This would only happen if there was a problem with the heater element/wires. I also use heated bottles and bowls for the bunnies and chickens. No one gets thirsty around here in the winter!

I have used heated buckets for years and never had a problem. I dont use them in every stall a my electric bill jumps up in the winter enough as it is. I Feel they are safe as long as they are checked often. I house lots o my animals in groups and use troughs with sinking de-icers. I do not like the floating ones because my horses play with them and that is dangerous. I have never had a problem with sinking heaters and I plug in those cube sensors that shut the heater off if its over 32º.

I use a heated bucket for my horses in my paddock next to the run in shed. I run the cord through the fence with most of the cord tucked up under the bucket, and use a super long extension cord to the house. I never had luck with the sinker type heaters as I had one horse that loved to pull it out by the cord and there I was with no heater in the water and a trough frozen solid. I did try the big trough with the heater element that screwed in through a hole near the bottom. It worked ok for biggie horses but my minis prefer very fresh water and drink better if I freshen the water often.

So I use one electric bucket and I carry small buckets from the house in freezing weather and replenish the water often and let the bucket keep it thawed. Works here. Runs the electric though. I try to remember to unplug as soon as it gets above freezing. For my goats I give them warm water fresh twice a day and carry small buckets from the house and that works for them. In winter I always have goat buckets thawing for the next round in my kitchen.

Heated buckets are a life saver, my boys drinks lots of water and we don't have any problem with them bothering the cords.

I have used them for many years both in stalls and outside in paddocks.In the stalls I put a screw eye and hang the buckets and run the cord up behind the bucket and into the receptacle on the outside of the stall.I make sure not to leave much slack for playing.Outside I use the large size (muck bucket size)if there are multiple horses in an area.If I use the 5 gallon size anywhere it is always secured with a double end snap and cord is outside the fence area as much as possible.We have had snow up over the buckets and the water is still there and not frozen.Sure beats dragging frozen hose and lots of water.Many years ago Karl rented a Ditch Witch and put water and electric to all fields.Nice set up.I really like my heated buckets.got most of my buckets at Tractor Supply or from catalogs.

I used heated pails all last winter and have so far this winter too - until our automatic waterers are installed, which will be soon I hope! We've already had a solid week of 20 below, and our pails (in every size up to muck bucket) worked awesome! They are all outdoors. Our pails all came with wire wrapped cords to keep curious teeth from damaging them.

I also have two heated chicken waterers for the chickens and two heated pet bowls for the our ducks. I don't think it would be possible in our climate to adequately water animals without heated pails, short of being home through the day to regularly break ice.

Here in Michigan, I wouldn't be without heated buckets! For the ones in the stalls, we put a few inches of water in the bottom of the heated bucket and place a regular bucket (non-heated) inside the heated bucket. They fit perfectly, stay unfrozen because of the layer of warm water in the bottom of the heated bucket, and best of all are easy to empty, clean and fill! We secure them with a couple of eye bolts and heavy duty bungee cords.

Of course, make sure your cords, plugs, sockets, and barn electrical system is up to code, with all wires run through conduit, nothing frayed, etc. That's as safe as you can make it. Unplug the buckets when not in use (helps on the electrical bill, too).

Outside, we use the larger muck-bucket size heated buckets, but place them in our metal water tanks with a wooden platform around them (on the top). This helps insulate them and uses less electricity, too.

Someday we'll have automatic waterers, but it's not in the budget at this time.

I use flat backed heated buckets. I use the smaller ones making sure they are the 3 prong plug ins. I have the buckets where I can place the cord thru a hole on the other side of the stall to the plug ins. I am fortunate to have an electrican for a hubby. They also plug into electrical outlets with a default. I have used them for over 15 years with no issues.

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

I use heated water buckets here too and no problems. I always check and make sure it doesn't shock you. I try to wait as long as I can, like will bring them out next month but it's gotten cold early this year.

Here in northwest Wisconsin, having some form of heater is essential. For years I have used a 250 watt ring that can be dropped into a large tank, small tank, or pail. Even at 30 below, it kept my 55 gallon tank open (I built a plywood cover for the tank so that it essentially was totally enclosed except for a round hole for them to drink out of). Much more energy efficient than the monster 1500 watt heaters and did just as well. Here is a sample (I bought mine at the local feed store). http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-Aluminum-Submergible-H-49/dp/B000FK03E8

We use 5 gallon heated buckets and those muck bucket size (16 gallon?) heated buckets. We've had to replace some over the years but have not had any problems beyond some just wearing out.

I use both the buckets and the seperate heaters. My girls are not stalled so I have a large tank for them with a heater. Works great. The buckets I use in the stalls if someone needs to be inside. Also during the polar vortex I had one in the run inn. That way they didn't need to go outside.

We have a heated bucket for our "old lady" who's in the barn right now because of arthritis.

And we have a very anti-social stallion in his own paddock that has a heated bucket outside.

The rest of out herd all have heaters in their troughs, which are on timers. That way all

of the heaters aren't ON at the same time.

Larry is currently researching how to build solar water troughs. There are several pages of

plans and instructions sitting on the kitchen counter at this very moment.
default_smile.png

I think I'm the only one here that don't use them...

Yep smacking out frozen 5 gallon buckets x2 a day.

Wow, thank you for all the great replies!!!!! I feel much better knowing that so many of you use these heated buckets!!!! I'm using a flat backed bucket with the coiled cord that comes out of the bottom. I have it on the stall mat right by the stall door with the cord running under the door and to the outlet. My electrical work was all done by a licensed electrician and does have a default that should trip the breaker off if a problem occurs. So far I've not had anything to trip the breaker but I'm sure it is all done correctly. With the cold winter we had last year and already seeing temps down to 10F I didn't want to be hauling warm/hot water from the house that was frozen by morning. The horses seem to drink so much more if the water is not ice cold!!! I think because there is not much grass this time of year that has more moisture than dry hay. They defiantly are more thirsty so I want to make sure they have all the water they want!! I can always count on everyone here to give me great advice!!!! Thanks again for all the replies you guys rock!!!!!!!

I've used them for at least 15 years and have had no problems at all. I have several types. I have huge heated muck buckets, big horse size heated bucked both in plastic and in rubber, I have the small ones and lastly I have the square one made for pets. I wouldn't be without them.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back