How many put their horses out in cold waether?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

littlehorse2

First of all my dad is 74 and in a wheel chair (which is frusterating for an ex-logger). I said I was putting the horses out yesturday and he told me I shouldn'y it was too cold. It was about 15 degrees and it got up to 40 yesturday. I told him that many people leave them out all year with no blankets, etc. He said it didn't matter that he thought they would get sick especially Trisket, because she has heaves. Which by the way since winter has arrived she hasn't needed her meds and is eating dry hay that's not dusty.
aktion033.gif
I don't put them out if it's nasty weather and it it's really windy and cold I'll keep them up in the paddock off the barn that has a run in.

Thye love being out and I'm still going to put them out if the weather permits it. They won't be going out today beacuse of all the snow we are getting. I have had horses since I was 8 years old and he's always put them out. He aslo wanted me to bring them in before I ran anerrond yesturday, but it was so nice and way to early in my opinion. I just neede to vent and I wanted to know what everyone does with their minis in the winter?

Christy

I really feel in most cases, it's healthier for the horses to be outside, with the option of using a run-in shed even in cold weather. In a heavy winter coat, I do not feel that 15 is even that cold to a mini if it's got the option of a run in shed.

Just ask your vet if you want to, he'll tell you they're healthier and better off out, as most folks here will tell you too. Unless theres some unusual circumstance, of course.

Healthy, well-fleshed minis with full,unclipped hair coats should be fine outside in nearly all kinds of winter weather, as long as they have free access to a windbreak, water of a drinkable temperature, and can, if they like, stay dry. Minis are hearty little animals.

[SIZE=14pt]My two fillies and the 4 mares can come and go as they like under shelter, the show horses are in a barn but it is just a carport with stalls in it, both ends are open....... just like being outside ....we never have any resp problems and the vet says thats why.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I agree that livestock does fine during winter days as long as the wind isn't screaming. It is good for them to get fresh air.

What it sounds like to me, is your father is having trouble with his limitations and would like to be in control of something, even if he can't control himself. Perhaps you could get him his own pet that he has total control over?

Heidi

I agree with Heidi your dad needs something he is totally responsible for and control.

You are also right when it doubt put them out is what to go by.

If horses are in good flesh have plenty of good clean hay and grain and nice fresh water they are good to go outside. I am in New hampshire and the only time I keep them in is if it is wet and nasty out, I don't want them wet.

Keep your chin up

Bonnie

I think sometimes that old timers think the minis are more fragile. With their winter coats they can handle a lot of bad weather and cold temperatures.

I like your dad.

15 degrees? Well there is a big difference between 15 degrees and 40 degrees.

When it's like 25 degrees or under here in the mornings, mine are hold up in the barn eating hay until it warms up during the day, then they go out.

The other day it was around 20 and I opened up their doors to let them go out in the field, but also they could come back in the barn if they wanted.

They went out.

They changed their minds.

They came back in like 15 minutes.

Now then, keep in mind the wind.

And the wind chill factor, and the "feels like" temperature. And precipitation.

I take this all into considertation too when deciding when it's best to keep them in or let them out.

I have a barn and my barn is for using. That's what it's there for.

I'm not terribly sure I'm accurate, but my feeling is that if they can get out and run they can keep themselves warm much better than standing in a stall. My old barn isn't warm at all, so I figure they're better off outside during the day.

If I'm mistaken, somebody please say so.

I ditto Marty on this one. I like your Dad!!!

Mine are pretty picky about the weather, because if its bad outside they WANT in -like now. They stand at the gate wanting in that barn ASAP!!

Its just my practice here and, it has worked great over the past 30 years - from our family farm to my own farm here,...I just feel if you would be miserable outside even all bundled up ...then they would be too. I guess because they can doesn't always mean they should. That wind chill can be fierce.
sad.gif

Now saying that...I know alot of people that leave theres out 24/7 and, have no problems. And, I agree that being out is good for them if they can handle it...mine I guess are all weinies.
unsure.gif

This is just my practice. I guess common sense is the best...if they have a shelter to break the wind and, you feel good about the temp..then all is good.

Lis

I do both ways here. My stallions, weeniers, and yearlings are all in the barn and the stallons get rotated, go out to a separate pasture when the weather is "OK" (I have a small barn in this pasture that they have access to if they want it, my weeniers and yearlings go into separate small runs (about 32'X18') just to get some fresh air and excersize. My mares have a pasture which comes right up to the back side of our barn, they have a large run-in attached to the barn so they can come and go as they want. The happiest one seem to be the ones outside with the run-in. When the mares come in for there pulp/grain in the evening..they cant wait to get back out, if its colder they stay right in the lean-too, and get fed there hay in there too. Mine like there lean too, but its not a small one its large (about 50 X 18, and very well protected from winds and cold.) A horse is much healthier if they have fresh air. Corinne

All of mine have access to the barn. They come and go as they please. Most of the time even if it is raining or snowing they are outside playing in it. The only time you will find my minis staying in the barn is when we get a huge amount of snow and they cant get out, then they wait for us to come down and dig or plow them paths. Or if the big horses have packed down enough snow for them to move in then then they might venture out. Just thursday morning it was 15 degrees here with the wind chill near 0 and they were all outside waiting for their breakfast.

I think what this is all about is that your dad can't help them in any way if something happens and you are gone He has nothing to do but sit there and worry. He needs a hobby of some kind. Saddle soaping is very theraputic.

This becomes a worry of mine every winter with our horses and I can never decide what is best, so I change all the time. My vet prefers horses be outside 24/7 with 24 hour access to hay and to water and to shelter IF they want to get out of the wind or wet conditions. Says that is the healthiest for them and even at extreme low temps if they are dry they are comfortable. My old big horse with the health problems can barely walk in the mornings if he has been stalled all night. The barn is fully insulated and stays above freezing no matter how cold it is outside, but he gets stiff and lame from standing in a stall all night. When he is outside and can move around more he does much better.

We are in Minnesota, so not many places get colder than here. If it is a clear, crisp, dry night with no wind chill or wet temps, just cold out..I put the horses in a smaller secure paddock area with access to go in and out of the barn if they want (they almost always choose outside) and I load them up on extra hay to munch on. If it is nasty out....snowing, windy or wet outside...I put everyone in stalls. It drives me crazy to go out and see horses standing out in the bad weather covered with snow and ice even though they probably feel fine....and I am never sure if they chose to stand outside in it or if the others that did go in shelter are being mean and not letting them in.

Your father sounds like mine did when we first got minis he always said we were going to kill the poor horses by not keeping them in stalls in the barn but after 25 years none l don't think have ever died because of the weather. l swear they are also a lot healthier outside because as soon as spring rolls around and we clip and stall what we plan to show is when they do get running/snotty noses or coughs and they start to pack on the weight because of standing in a restricted space. But someone who got clipped and is left outside doesn't seem to have that problem.

It is always healthier for a horse to outside rather than stalled, particularly one with an existing respiratory condition.

Ours stay out all winter long, and it's often a lot colder than 15 F. And they are okay, they have shelter from the wind and extra hay for their bellies and honestly, unless it's wet snow, you won't even find them in the shelter. 40 below and windy and they'll still be going about their business like it was sunny and nice!

Obviously, if they've been stalled coming into winter you might have to watch a little closer as they may not have developed as thick a coat as one who was outside constantly as the temperature dropped.

mine stayed in today

30mph winds lots of snow

temp was 12 when i got up

my rule is if i would't stand out in neither will they

Marty- Thanks. What I meant was the day started out at 15 degrees, but by noon it was 35-40 degrees. No wind yesturday. Mine are in today as well. I agree that my dad needs a hobby. I'm just not sure what . He can't see very well either so that's another problem for him.

Thanks everyone. It seems like everyone here does pretty much the same thing in the winter.

Christy

Mine are out all the time!!!!!!!!!! They have all kinds of Run In Sheds & barn to go in if they want. It is healthier for them than to stay in the stall & breath the amonia from their urine. I have one that I keep up for right now, she has touchy feet & the ground is to hard to walk on for her. She is in a big stall with plenty of air around her. Unless already sick it will not hurt them.

Back