How many of you

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feather1414

Reaction score
I myself never have, nor have I ever seen anyone use them, but do you think the judges would score down or up if the horse were properly turned out like a full sized hunter horse would?

The reason I am asking this is because I truly beleive Dealer has a future in hunter. I was so proud of him at Estes, he got a first in OPEN hunter. He beat world champions! He beat Allyson Waites and the Oasis Collection Horses ((if any of you know her, you know how big it is when you beat her!))

If you have used sport boots, have you ever used shipping boots on the two front feet?

Lets also turn this into a jumping board. Post pics of those high jumping horses, as well as your hunter horse. Hunter horses all braided would be best. Also if anyone can tell me how to properly do a hunter braid, I think Dealer would appreciate it!

So lets post those pics! Here are a few to start out with.

dealerjumphigh.jpg

djump2.jpg

djump.jpg

Sorry if they are big, its photobucket...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jamie:

Do you know of any books that discuss training minis for obstacles/jumping? We have a 10 year old autistic son that would do very well training them...and have an 80x160 sand riding arena sitting idle.

Thanks a million!

Cindy

This is an interesting thread...I haven't seen sport boots worn by mini jumpers or hunters. I just bought some REALLY nice sport boots to lend support to Bilbo's legs, since we spend a lot of time on pavement. They support his fetlocks as well as his protect his cannon bone. I don't think sport boots are used much, because it is ASSUMED that most jumps won't hurt the horses. Many jumps are made out of PVC pipe, and are very light weight.

I also don't think people worry about bumps on the legs of minis as much...each leg is bearing a lot less weight than a big horse. Though, I feel that is a mistake. I worry lots about the soundness of my horses.

Bilbo and I are just getting started in the jumping thing. I will use his sport boots at home, and check to see if it is okay to use them in the showring. It will be interesting to see the answers you get.

Kim R.

One thing about boots, if your horse doesnt need them then dont use them. I never use them on any of my horses including my big horses that I jump. In hunter I think boots would distract from the overall picture, JMO.

Here are a couple of my horses.

Casper is a national champion jumper, he has great hunter form.

casperna031111.jpg

Bug is a national top ten hunter, she also places first in jumper almost every time out.

bug12.jpg

Please excuse the braids, I tried to braid her mane like I do the big horses and it didnt turn out to well. When braiding mini manes you should braid the long braid like Casper has. Its just one continuous braid down his neck.

I don't know that sport boots would be allowed for showing in. The only thing that I know is allowed is in Roadster-- you can use bell boots.

Here's my National Champion Jumper, Magic Mist Color On Fire, at a show earlier this year.
g_fire05_f.jpg

Photo is by Michael Bowman Photography, they do a great job at capturing those jumping shots.
smile.gif

You cant put anything on the horses legs in hunter not in minis nor in large horses. I do believe that like in large horses jumpers(in minis) can wear something on legs for protection- in AMHA i am almost postive i saw that in the rule book-however i sure wouldnt ues shipping boots if it were me I would opt for something made for jumping and giving support while doing so or if you really feel your horse needs protection you can always use polo wraps BUT have someone who knows how to wrap show you how. Wrapping incorrectly can cause serious damage

in AMHR(jumpers not hunters) i have yet to see really high jumps in the jumper classes it seems to be more about speed and going clear obviously but in AMHA i have heard they have jump offs with the fences getting higher and higher till only one horse clears it (which i would LOVE to see) but i would think maybe there would be more need for protection

One more thing there are so many types of boots out there for so many disciplines that you really want to make sure you are using the right boot for the right sport I have seen people use skid boots on hunters which really doesnt make much sense

Last edited:
Yes, in AMHR at least you ARE allowed to use leg gear on jumping horses.

This is exactly what it says in the 2004 AMHR rulebook...

Part 5 under Artificial Appliances and Irritantants...

Section F. "Appropriate protective leg gear is allowed in Hunter and Jumper classes."

I belive i said in AMHA and that i was almost positive
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

but..either way I personally would not consider shipping boots to be appropriate leg wear.

I just know that large horses dont wear leg wear in hunter classes but are allowed to in jumper classes at least... that is how it was when I showed for years

but i will say WSF those jumps you showed in your pics are sure nicer then most jumps I have seen at local shows and heck even Nationals last year your horse looks to really like doing it.

Last edited:
My One And Only Hunter/Jumper horse!!he Has ok Form??lol he gets stage frieght ats hows!!hehe

(ONLY HEAD AND NECK ARE CLIPPED IN THIS PIC..HEHE)

I was also thinking about braiding if i did AMHr or w/e just for some fun..

wee.jpg

weeclinic2005.jpg

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis said:
I belive i said in AMHA and that i was almost positive
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif
but..either way I personally would not consider shipping boots to be appropriate leg wear.

I just know that large horses dont wear leg wear in hunter classes but are allowed to in jumper classes at least... that is how it was when I showed for years

but i will say WSF those jumps you showed in your pics are sure nicer then most jumps I have seen at local shows and heck even Nationals last year your horse looks to really like doing it.

416469[/snapback]

I am sorry Lisa, I didnt mean to jump down your throat like that. Thank you, I think the jumps we have are pretty nice as well. Do the jumps at nationals look anything like that?At least in a hunter course. I am not sure as I have never been there and I want to know what to start practicing on.

I Do the jumps at nationals look anything like that?At least in a hunter course. I am not sure as I have never been there and I want to know what to start practicing on.

416519[/snapback]

When Sue Price designed the hunter and jumper courses, they looked incredible. Since her death, though, the Nationals courses have been extremely plain and last year were almost embarrassing, really. Someone new is designing them this year (and sorry, I forget who is doing it for sure) but I expect that it will all be great again this year.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back