How many of you mini horse owners also have riding horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianaM

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I would enjoy having a horse around for adults to ride. Everything in my animal set up (goats have nice barn separate from mini barn) is perfect right now, so getting a horse would require a new configuration. Also, would they get along? Would they need to be together or within eyesight? Would I "ignore" the mini's? These are questions I ask myself. I am wondering how many of you keep full size horses with mini's. thanks

I am the opposite, I started with biggies but now I have gotten sooooo into the mini horses that I retired my first riding horse a few years ago. I’ve had him since he was 8, he is almost 23! I don’t ignore him, but the minis do get most of my time and attention. For me, the minis are just so easy to work with and so snuggly. Do you drive your minis? If not, maybe you could teach them how to drive? Maybe get a bike type cart, it almost feels like you are riding!

It depends on the horse whether or not you will be able to keep biggies with minis or goats. My mare loved the minis and even the sheep I had. I could put her out with anything and she loved it. My biggie Riffics, not so much. He is the boss and he will probably kill anything who doesn’t know horse language and get out of his way. Once he went after one of my sheep, thank god he listens to my voice commands or I probably would have had a dead sheep on my hands. You do have to be careful of them playing too, a mini could accidentally get kicked in the head by a biggie and go straight to horsey heaven.

Riffics is out by himself now days and only picks on the littles across the fence, when they aren’t picking on him 🤣

Im not sure how your fencing is, but my mare was an escape artist! Cross fencing, ranch, or goat style fencing would not keep her in, so fencing is also something to keep in mind.

This pic is from when I first brought Thunder home. So 750 pounds of crazy mare and 50 pounds of pure sweet Thunder! 🥰
D0374416-DE0C-4DD5-B12F-DD6791776AC5.jpeg

We had Morgans for 46 years, then got into Minis in 2001. Our last Morgan was here until 2012--that one was a mare and she absolutely hated the Minis. She would have killed them if she could have got to them. She was, however, best buddies with one of the American Shetlands--a very small, refined silver bay filly that was not much bigger than a Mini. The pony crawled into the big mare's corral and they lived together for a year or two. As a rule we did not mix the Minis with the Morgans just because of the size difference--one misplaced kick and the mini could be crippled or killed.

I am the opposite, I started with biggies but now I have gotten sooooo into the mini horses that I retired my first riding horse a few years ago. I’ve had him since he was 8, he is almost 23! I don’t ignore him, but the minis do get most of my time and attention. For me, the minis are just so easy to work with and so snuggly. Do you drive your minis? If not, maybe you could teach them how to drive? Maybe get a bike type cart, it almost feels like you are riding!

It depends on the horse whether or not you will be able to keep biggies with minis or goats. My mare loved the minis and even the sheep I had. I could put her out with anything and she loved it. My biggie Riffics, not so much. He is the boss and he will probably kill anything who doesn’t know horse language and get out of his way. Once he went after one of my sheep, thank god he listens to my voice commands or I probably would have had a dead sheep on my hands. You do have to be careful of them playing too, a mini could accidentally get kicked in the head by a biggie and go straight to horsey heaven.

Riffics is out by himself now days and only picks on the littles across the fence, when they aren’t picking on him 🤣

Im not sure how your fencing is, but my mare was an escape artist! Cross fencing, ranch, or goat style fencing would not keep her in, so fencing is also something to keep in mind.

This pic is from when I first brought Thunder home. So 750 pounds of crazy mare and 50 pounds of pure sweet Thunder! 🥰
View attachment 45771
Thanks for reply and I love this photo!

Darling photo!

My story is similar to Kelly’s. We have one horse (Cochise) left. He is 40 years old this year and he, like Riffics, lives separately but visits over the fence. Another riding size horse is not in my future as I would ultimately miss the time with the smaller horses.

Good questions, however, especially when you do have additional adults interested in riding who would also help provide your horse with care and attention!

I grew up with horses, so I am comfortable hopping on bareback with a halter and lead and riding around that way. We had horses and a Shetland when my kids were little.

The last time I rode regularly, I took jumping lessons on a leased horse. That's a good way to go, if you don't have room and don't want to do full time care. (I was living in city) Now, I am on family property and I have ten acres, mostly woods and trails.

The mini's were on my mother's bucket list. We got them 6 months before she died. She died happy and I inherited them.

I love them. The gelding is soft like a rabbit. The mare is wonderful when the little kids sit on her. (otherwise, she is a mare)

I see Queen Elizabeth ride and I think "you're never too old" lol

I see that separate is a must and my mini-barn has low ceilings, so the goats would have to move out of their castle...lots to think about.

Thanks for photos and help. :)

I grew up with horses, so I am comfortable hopping on bareback with a halter and lead and riding around that way. We had horses and a Shetland when my kids were little.

The last time I rode regularly, I took jumping lessons on a leased horse. That's a good way to go, if you don't have room and don't want to do full time care. (I was living in city) Now, I am on family property and I have ten acres, mostly woods and trails.

The mini's were on my mother's bucket list. We got them 6 months before she died. She died happy and I inherited them.

I love them. The gelding is soft like a rabbit. The mare is wonderful when the little kids sit on her. (otherwise, she is a mare)

I see Queen Elizabeth ride and I think "you're never too old" lol

I see that separate is a must and my mini-barn has low ceilings, so the goats would have to move out of their castle...lots to think about.

Thanks for photos and help. :)
So sweet to hear the part about your mom getting her minis. ❤ That must make them all the more special to you!

I've had horses since I was 17 (back in the 90's!) and tried one mini probably 10 years ago. I show dressage, teach trick-horse clinics, equine first aid, breed sport horses, all sorts of stuff with full-size horses and still do. My affinity for the minis started with a donkey - a standard jack. Super broke to drive, I adored him. I wanted to try training another donkey for myself and a friend of mine had a super cool mini donkey. So I found a mini donkey jack and started him myself. Life changed and big and little donkey had to be rehomed but I missed the little fart as soon as he left the property. Within two months, I had another (the guy in my profile picture - Phillippe).
My daughter rides, and met a mini along at one of the shows we went to. She adored the idea of having one. I had tried a mini several years prior but just didn't click with him so I'd hung that up. I looked online at the buy-and-sell pages and found a $50 young mini mare who appeared to be very tolerant. I sent the money sight unseen and a friend picked her up on her way through for me. Aside from needing some maintenance (farrier) work, that little mare is the BEST thing ever! She's the one we've taken to the continuing-care facility, trained to drive in two sessions, doesn't shy away from anything. She's definitely confident and has no trouble telling full-grown horses where to go and how to get there.

I'm expecting two warmblood mix foals this year and am so excited to be showing them with my daughter, but I cannot ever see myself not having minis. They're super fun and so versatile.

What a nice place with beautiful horses. Is the area full of trees and bamboo?

Thanks for feedback. I see some concern about larger horses hurting the mini's, so I am guessing it depends on the larger horse? Size of mini's? We certainly had shetland ponies in with horses. I haven't owned a donkey, but the baby mini donkeys are the cutest!
I have been pounding fence posts the last three days, enlarging the horse paddock...I noticed a wild horse auction next month...I might go to watch, but not buy! I think I need about a 13-14 hand welsh/morgan type. I can ride and kids, too. Not too big to live with the mini's.

What a nice place with beautiful horses. Is the area full of trees and bamboo?
We have old growth oaks and 17 species of bamboo. The horses get 1 or 2, 20 foot long stalks of bamboo every day since the leaves are very nutritious. The largest bamboo is 9" diameter and 80 feet tall.

The biggest horse on our property is in love with minis, wouldn't ever harm them. However, he gets herd bound to them - not to the full-sized horses, just the mini (tiny donkey.) So it is definitely dependent on the horse.

Attachments

• 120875506_770410270170613_712949758641378679_n.jpg
    120875506_770410270170613_712949758641378679_n.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1898.JPG
    IMG_1898.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back