How many of you are planning........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow after reading this thread, it seems times aren't as bad as I thought. I do have to take into consideration that most of you are actual breeders and this isn't just a hobby for you. People have said here that there is always a market for quality blood lines and I think that is very true. It sounds like all of you have specific lines that you are crossing or trying to acquire.

It seems that the market for registered, quality bloodlines is still going strong. At least I get that impression after reading this thread.

Would you say the market for unregistered mini's is the real problem right now? Also, have you had to lower your prices in order to keep selling?

Do you think it is a tougher market for an individual to sell one or two horses as opposed to a breeder selling their stock?

And do not forget the amazing and cost effective (to the extreme) advertising opportunities offered right here through LB
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

We are pretty much where we want to be this year. We will have 4 2008 colts for sale, 2 palominos and 2 chestnuts- we are keeping all the rest of the 2008 foals. We are planning on breeding just 3 mares next year. We have a new junior stallion (cremello) and want to see what he puts down with our bay mares. We had such a super foal season this year, hard to part with most of these! We spent all winter expanding our pastures so we could keep more of what we produce and want to use for future breeding. We have had a lot of interest in our foals already this year and I have not even gotten around to putting them on the sale board yet, so looks like this could be a good year even with the crappy economy.

I am downsizing..........getting closer to my goal of 20, down from the 30+ I've had for several years.

But it has nothing to do with the economy. I sold all my foals from last year and was very happy with the buyers.

It has to do with where I live. I am just so tired of having that many to feed in blizzards and wind in our horrendous winters. This winter was the worst in a while so I am sure that made me more aware of it!

If I get down to 20 they will all fit in my two barns and adjoining runs for the winter months when it is bad.

It WAS hard to make myself let go of a few that I did, including two older mares that are now retired in Wonderful happy homes in milder settings.

But I am down to 23 and only have 4 mares in foal for this year. :)

Susan O.

We did have 1 for Sale a "Big" Bay Gelding but he Passed away in February

Then We sent Allure out to get Trained and Shown (He comes back around September)

and we added 2 more Fillies this year

I bought 1, that comes home either this month or next month!!!

and "Sunny" the Palomino Pinto Filly we had born here last month

Both AMHA/AMHR Registered

which Brings us to: 7 minis and 2 Biggies

I love them all and hate to sell! But that is causing a problem with my be able to take care of them the way I want to - my husband is no longer able to help me much - and spending the time I like to just loving on them.
default_biggrin.png
So I will be trying to downsize a lot this year. Also, probably won't be breeding very many mares unless someone who buys one might want her bred first.

Thank you Stephanie, Three C, for your purchase of my sweet Shadow Lake Cool Dude daughter, Pari, who is carrying her first baby.

Rita

I have already done all my buying for 08......I have 7 new ones, as I wanted to get some neat small ASPC (ones I could hardship AMHR) Rock E bred mares to cross on Pharaoh next year when his breeding career takes off.

I have 65 horses on the farm right now (just counted)
default_new_shocked.gif
. I have plenty of room to house them all and take care of them all, but it takes all my spare time b/w working full time away from home, showing and conditioning ten horses, clipping horses, cleaning barns, foaling out mares, weanling babies breeding mares, and then keeping up with all their paperwork.....

of those 65, eleven are just awaiting shipping; weaning, or making sure they are in foal.....and have sale pending on two more, and have some more I need to make myself offer for sale, have come up with a list of 5 and it's hard as each and every one of the mares I have now were hand selected and there is not a one that's not producing what I expected of them....

So I've bought and sold; I'd like to stay about 40ish, but sitting at 54 of mine right now, I don't see that happening, It was hard for me to make a list of 5, let alone list 14.

Latest posts

Back