How many of the members here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
Just curious to how many people have had a colic surgery performed on one of their horses, and if it is really common to have a horse that impacted? Is there any warning signs before the colic gets "that bad", or is it really sudden? Also, how many have had success stories from the surgery versus sad stories? For some reason colic really scares me, and I would just like to know more about it and how it can be prevented or treated.
default_please.gif
: respond!

I have a 6 yr old mare that had colic surgery when she was 2. She is a fighter, always has been, and came through it with flying colors. Her sister on the other hand, the vet wouldn't even consider the surgery :no: . We had to put her down at 2.

When Savannah colicked, she had some of the "typical" symptoms; rolling, curling the lip, looking at her belly. The big clue that she was impacted was when she became extremely bloated (full of air!). The doc tried to let the air out of the seccum by poking a catheter in it. That wasn't enough. I helped with the surgery and we found 2 large endoliths that were completely blocking her small intestine. Without the surgery she would have died.

Her sister had colicked in August just before she turned 2. With 2 qts of mineral oil and 5 bags of IV fluid, she finally passed a hairball the size of a goose egg. Then in Feb., she did it again but it wasn't passing. She was in extreme pain and the vet said she was not a good candidate for surgery. He told me Savannah was an exception and I got lucky.

MY vet will told me the horse has a 50/50 chance on the table. Then a 50/50 chance to survive the first week. If they make it passed the 1 year mark, you are doing really good.

As far as when to know it is "that bad"....each horse is different. Some horses can handle a lot of pain, some are wimps. The danger is if they aren't passing manure, the intestines will literally die off which that in itself is a bad thing.

I don't think you can actually prevent it from happening. Can you prevent yourself from getting gas, or upset stomach, or cramps......? Some folks use the sand clear on a regular basis. I keep a close eye on the ones I have that are prone to it. If they act "off", they get a dose of mineral oil and are watched closely for 24 hours.

edited to say the 50/50 is what my vet told me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it true that a horse should have a bowell movement every three to six hours? I read that somewhere, possibly on this website. It's been so long since I've been around a horse daily, I just never paid attention.

We have had one colic surgery and it WAS a success! However, we have also had two that colicked and didn't make it while on their way to have surgery.......so yes, colic is something to take seriously.

For us, many times, it's a matter of catching signs EARLY. A horse with a "funny tummy" or acting a bit "off" can be caught early before developing into a full-blown COLIC.

We keep a jug of mineral oil, a 60 cc syringe and a Gravy Baster, and Banamine on hand. We also have a handy patch of short green grass outside of our barn. So when a "funny tummy" happens we quickly do a combination of things -- Put a combination of mineral oil and tepid water down the horse, call the vet and okay giving a half dose of Banamine. We also walk the horse and let them eat a little bit of short green grass......

I would say that 90 percent of the time we have successfully headed off a serious colic. The other 10 percent go to the vet's clinic.

The ones that we "headed off" we have stalled and put under camera with just straight grass hay for 24+ hours until we feel comfortable about letting them go back to their group.

MA

PS: I'm throwing in a "KNOCK ON WOOD" here.....don't want to jinx us! :bgrin

Never heard that before but if so......some of my horses would be in sad shape
default_unsure.png
:

CockRobin had colic surgery at the ripe old age of 26, and came thru it with flying colors.
default_yes.gif
: Altho, after he was opened up, it was discovered that the root of his problem was actually two very large enteroliths stuck in his colon! :new_shocked: They were as big as tennis balls & he would have never been able to pass them. Without the surgery...he would have surely died.

The AQHA mare I sold three years ago had colic surgery as a 2 or 3 year old (1991 or 1992) [performed at my vet's clinic]. It was an impaction colic. She had a high pain thresh hold so didn't really show serious signs until it was almost too late. I got her to the vet, at that time he said they would have to go in abdominally and she'd only have about a 40% chance of recovering (they couldn't find the obstruction). It was late, so they told me to think on it and call them in the morning, they couldn't do surgery til then. When I called in the morning, they had found the obstruction and told me they could go in through a flank incision and she'd have an 80% chance of a full recovery. I went for it. She recovered very well and passed a pre-breeding soundness exam when I decided I wanted to breed her 4 years later (vet said there was a chance of adhesions, but she didn't have any). She had a very healthy filly as an 8 year old and a healthy colt as a 14 year old (the only two times I bred her).

I've dealt with other minor colic episodes, but this was by far the worst.

We had two in one year, both were foals under two months of age. the filly was impacted with a twist, and the colt, "just" impacted. The filly had no problems whatsoever, but the colt has several infections which almost killed him.

The colt is now a seven year old gelding who is an awesome little driving horse.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

The filly, unfortunately, died a year later after getting out with the other horses at her new home, and gorging on frozen apples. By the time her owner found her, it was too late to save her, and she was put-down to end her suffering.
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

Thank you for the stories and I am sorry for the ones of you who didn't have such good outcomes. It seems like impactions are very common. :no: Please continue to share....

Sue C...I had no clue that frozen apples could be bad for horses. I would never have thought to give them to them in the first place, but why would it be so bad? Also, I heard that apple seeds are poisonous to horses, can anyone confirm that?

Sue C...I had no clue that frozen apples could be bad for horses. I would never have thought to give them to them in the first place, but why would it be so bad? Also, I heard that apple seeds are poisonous to horses, can anyone confirm that?
I don't think it wasn't so much the fact they were frozen, but there were just so many. The horses got out into an old orchard, which hadn't been picked...and Heaven only knows how many apples they all ate... She was the only mini, so her belly just couldn't tolerate as much as the big horses could. :no: :no:
default_sad.png

As for the seeds being poison, they are poison to humans too, I beleive...but the amount injested to do harm to either, would probably be pretty great.

We've been through three colic surgeries - it's been 6-7 years ago - all three survived and have been productive. The stallion was just a yearling, and had a congenital problem with his intestine which they were able to correct surgically. Doing so created - intentionally - adhesions, but it was the only way to prevent it from happening again. He did seem to have some belly pain for awhile - grouchy to the touch - but I notice that very rarely now. One mare had a tennis ball obstruction made of tail hair and sand, she's been absolutely fine since it was removed. The other mare impacted, and although surgery was successful she has been a chronic colicker since then. I've thought at least twice we were going to lose her, and it's always when she gets into coastal hay. Her diet is strictly alfalfa and Equine Sr, I pretty quickly gave up trying to work coastal back into her diet. She is not a good candidate for surgery a second time around, and it will probably get her sooner or later, but such a wonderful mare she will get a life for as long as we can keep her healthy.

We had one other serious colic a couple of years ago in a weanling. He was sold, and was not a surgical candidate for financial reasons so they kept him at the vet for several days and did everything possible for him. He was a very small colt, about 25", and looked like a football on legs he was so bloated. As a last resort they went in through the flank with a needle and aspirated - let the air out of the football lol. He went through quite an ordeal, but survived and is a beloved pet now.

Colic is most definitely something to take seriously. Our colic regime is pretty much what miniv said - mineral oil, banamine, phone the vet, walk and a little green grass.

Jan

minimule those sure arent the statistics i was given with colic surgery??? Its much higher then 50 percent especially if you get it done early. If you wait too long and the intestines start to die off then you are in big trouble

Tiny had colic surgery in Jan and is doing fabulous. They found a very small piece of thin fabric that had wrapped around a manure ball and blocked her colon

3 years ago diamond had colic surgery but apparently the vets had jumped the gun. They opened her up and found nothing so just closed her back up. Shes fine and productive now but is a DRAMA QUEEN. This mare has zero pain tolerance and we think now that is why she acted so colicky when she wasnt actually that bad.

I've had one large WB mare that needed colic surgery. She had her first baby at ten, and delivered a very large healthy boy. Well about two months after the birth seh went down colicing in severe pain, we gave alot of drugs and nothing seemed to be working. We jsut couldn't keep her on her feet. So we hauled her and hte baby to CSU Vet school and found out that she had a post partum displacement. the vet said that most mares with this will colic within a few days. Post Partum colic is were the hind gut gets moved out of place so that the baby can come out but doesn't move back into place afterwards. We did surgery and it went ok, unfortunately her thyroid went over active for some reasone (they think stress) and she had a really hard recover for about the next two years. She looked like a walking skeleton, no matter what or how much I fed her. Then one day her thyroid returned to normal function and she slowly got better. Unfortunately, one of the other side effects of the surgery is that she now gets gas colic at the drop of a hat. We really watch what she eats and she gets special suppliments to help prevent it, but I always keep banimine on hand just incase. Since her full recovery she had another gorgious colt who is now five, and is expecting another baby any day now (we're hoping for a filly this time).

We also had one of my geldings colic really bad ( my mares first baby). He's now ten and live mostly out on pasture. Well last summer we had a good spring and there was prlenty of fresh grass. Well he was out eating and becasue the grass was so moist, he really wasn't drinking enough. he ended up with an impaction. we hauled him to the vet figuring that we would be doing colic surgery, but instead the vet wanted to try and "flush" his gut. What he did was put an IV in him and he super hydrated him with fluids, then in the morning he put a tube in his stomach and put in a saline solution. This would draw the fluid out of his system and into his gut. Well it worked all that fluid in his gut broke up the impaction and he didn't need surgery after all. My vet was saying that he sees quite a bit of this sort of colic in the spring when the horses are eating fresh grass.

Thank goodness I have never had one of my minis colic yet (knock on wood), but I am very careful with their diet.

Thank you very much for your replies. I am learning so much, like just because a horse needs colic surgery, doesn't mean they WILL die. I am just very concerned because this will be my first horse ever, and I live in a hot climate with lots of dirt. My aunt had a horse that died nearly twenty years ago because of colic and I have been afraid of it every since. I guess right now, it's just nerves because I am scared I will do something wrong, or the stress of arriving will bother her, or the change in water/grass, etc.

I do plan to let my filly graze for a couple hours out of the day, and to feed her a complete feed with a small amount of hay. I also want to give her equiaide for a week every month, just to make sure that she is passing all ingested dirt. I've read that mineral oil can go into the horses lungs. Have any of you had that happen? Or is there a technique to giving it? I wouldn't do this until after I contacted a vet, but if he were to tell me to do it, I'd like to know how in advance. Thanks again for the responses.

I have had it done one time on a buckskin show filly who thank God grew up to be a buckskin mare! My "Khaki" colicked badly at my trainers. I hadn't even seen her in a couple weeks. She'd gone to our state club's show and was Grand Champion and SO gorgeous. I was so proud of her.

Then I got a call one evening from the barn. They'd tried me probably half a dozen times, but I was outside driving one of my mares and Harvey was building a run in shed. I knew when I saw that many calls, something was bad wrong.

We went over right away and I could hardly beleive it! Khaki looked like a balloon animal. She was SO bloated. Like a cartoon character, really, she was so blown up. We had my vet out right away and after she looked Khaki over, ultrasounded, and medicated, I asked how long do we have to decide if it turns out this is surgical, and she said a few hours, so I was thinking it from the start because if you need the surgery, time is of the essence.

The vet was out two more times. The meds would make her feel okay, but wear off and she'd be trying to throw herself to the ground again. Even cropping grass as I was pulling her back up which is why I always tell people just because they will eat does NOT mean they are okay.

She had an impaction and was operated on something like 4am in the morning. However, they did not empty a part of her that they would normally do in big horses, but is not usually a good ide in most minis. However, Khaki needed it done, so operation #2 the next day. I nearly had a breakdown when the vet called to tell me they were going to have to open her again.

But, this was in July of 2003! She was not quite 1yo at that time. She recovered well and has yet to leave our property. I do not know if she'd have colicked here at our house, but I do know I would have a hard time turning over her care ever again. I just am really, really careful now with what she is allowed to eat. Hay must be soft, no sweet feed, etc.

The surgeon told me regarding the impaction, it was as if she had access to very coarse feed.

Two of my regular vets have told me I need to "treat her like a real horse" and the surgeon from the beginning told me this and told me he envisioned her doing whatever I originally intended, including driving, breeding and showing. It's only been the last 6mos or so that I really have started to plan to use her like a real horse and will be having her bred next year, to Destiny. For at least 1 year after surgery, I kept expecting her to colic again and to loose her.

Khaki was insured mortality / major medical, so her surgery was covered and if I remember right the colic cost the insurance company just over $5,000.

Here she is less than a month before surgery:

khaki-vmhc-grand-champion-2003---photo-by-d-rockwell.jpg

And here she is a month or so ago, taking it easy and being a real horse:

Minis%20--%2003022006%20--%20024%20Khaki.jpg

This forum helped me so much to cope with the emotions of Khaki being in the hospital. A lot has happened in my life since that time, but at that time, it really was the worst thing that had ever happened to "me" (Khaki said yeah, it ranks at the top for her as well).

I have had it done one time on a buckskin show filly who thank God grew up to be a buckskin mare! My "Khaki" colicked badly at my trainers. I hadn't even seen her in a couple weeks. She'd gone to our state club's show and was Grand Champion and SO gorgeous. I was so proud of her.

Then I got a call one evening from the barn. They'd tried me probably half a dozen times, but I was outside driving one of my mares and Harvey was building a run in shed. I knew when I saw that many calls, something was bad wrong.

We went over right away and I could hardly beleive it! Khaki looked like a balloon animal. She was SO bloated. Like a cartoon character, really, she was so blown up. We had my vet out right away and after she looked Khaki over, ultrasounded, and medicated, I asked how long do we have to decide if it turns out this is surgical, and she said a few hours, so I was thinking it from the start because if you need the surgery, time is of the essence.

The vet was out two more times. The meds would make her feel okay, but wear off and she'd be trying to throw herself to the ground again. Even cropping grass as I was pulling her back up which is why I always tell people just because they will eat does NOT mean they are okay.

She had an impaction and was operated on something like 4am in the morning. However, they did not empty a part of her that they would normally do in big horses, but is not usually a good ide in most minis. However, Khaki needed it done, so operation #2 the next day. I nearly had a breakdown when the vet called to tell me they were going to have to open her again.

But, this was in July of 2003! She was not quite 1yo at that time. She recovered well and has yet to leave our property. I do not know if she'd have colicked here at our house, but I do know I would have a hard time turning over her care ever again. I just am really, really careful now with what she is allowed to eat. Hay must be soft, no sweet feed, etc.

The surgeon told me regarding the impaction, it was as if she had access to very coarse feed.

Two of my regular vets have told me I need to "treat her like a real horse" and the surgeon from the beginning told me this and told me he envisioned her doing whatever I originally intended, including driving, breeding and showing. It's only been the last 6mos or so that I really have started to plan to use her like a real horse and will be having her bred next year, to Destiny. For at least 1 year after surgery, I kept expecting her to colic again and to loose her.

Khaki was insured mortality / major medical, so her surgery was covered and if I remember right the colic cost the insurance company just over $5,000.

Here she is less than a month before surgery:

khaki-vmhc-grand-champion-2003---photo-by-d-rockwell.jpg

And here she is a month or so ago, taking it easy and being a real horse:

Minis%20--%2003022006%20--%20024%20Khaki.jpg

This forum helped me so much to cope with the emotions of Khaki being in the hospital. A lot has happened in my life since that time, but at that time, it really was the worst thing that had ever happened to "me" (Khaki said yeah, it ranks at the top for her as well).

Jill...so glad that it worked out for the best on your mare. Can I ask, what is considered coarse feed? I know right now, my filly eats alfalfa but I would like to gradually switch her over to Orchard. Would that be a coarse hay? Also, is Purina Jr Feed a sweet feed?

I do not really know if what she had at my trainers was the factor, but I suspect it could have been based on what the surgeon said and just my own worries over the years.

What she ate there was alfalfa cubes (soaked, but not always as much as I would have soaked them), sweet feed, and alfalfa hay which I have seen being so stemmy at that farm just like really thick stalky pieces. I do not want that for any of my horses. I think that some alfafla can be way, way softer than what I have seen there.

From what you are saying, this is how I also feed my horses. Orchard grass (which depending on the cutting time can be so soft and nice!) and Purina Equine Adult. The Junior is not a sweet feed and I like it great for growing horses. I do have a 2/05 colt who gets Purina Equine Jr.
default_smile.png

I just always try and look at what they eat and try and think "how easily can this be digested".

Also, I think that what is okay for big horses, with bigger teeth and bigger insides is not always okay for minis. I think the reason so many minis have a pot bellied look but are not honestly fat is because they are eating hay that is too coarse and makes them look bloated up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased a horse almost 3 yrs ago. He had been very heavy and the "owners" decided the best way to get him down in weight, so he would look good, was to stop feeding him. :new_shocked: He was so hungry when I got him home I gave him a "little" alfalfa. Within 24 hours he was in for colic surgery. The surgeons said the only thing in his system was the hay I had given him. It has taken me this whole time to try and get any decent weight back on him. I think we have finally made progress. :aktion033: :aktion033: He still isn't quite where I want him but is close.
default_yes.gif
:

Robin

We have had two mares have colic surgery and have coke lavages for stomach impactions - both are doing great (different years and times). In fact one was just two weeks ago and we're bringing her home from the hospital tomorrow morning.

The big horse in my avatar (Target) has had colic surgery twice, and has had a total of 30 feet of his small intestines removed. The surgeries were in 1998 (6 feet removed due to the intestines getting pinched off somehow and the tissue dying) and again in 2001, same problem in a totally DIFFERENT area of the small intesetines, with 24 feet removed. Since no can can live with dead intestines, he would have died either time without the surgery. Both colic episodes were sudden and the surgeon (same one, and she remembered him the second time) couldn't find a reason either time. They looked for lipomas (fatty tissue that can get caught around the intestine) or worms, which are common causes. The seond surgery made the first one seem like a walk in the park, and the surgeon said he would probably be "nutritionally compromised" if he even survived. I said go ahead anyway. It was 5 long scary days before his gut started working again and he was out of the woods. But once that happened, he recovered fast and I was riding him 2 months later and showing him again that fall. No one ever had a better show than that first one after his second surgery!!!

Both surgeries were before the photo in the avatar (which was right after a show), so Target has obviosuly recovered well and is a success story. Of course during the 5 days he was recovering from the second surgery, I promised him if he made it he could be a lawn ornament and would never have to go to a show again. But he LOVES showing and doesn't seem at all upset that I went back on my word.

My advice after all this is to get your horses in the Preventicare Program (run by Pfizer) if your vet offers it. All my minis are on it, but of course Target isn't eligible. He was not insured either, but that is another story. Preventicare requires use of a daily wormer, and a few other things you may be doing anyway like annual exams. But if a horse in the program needs colic surgery, Pfizer pays up to $5,000 toward it. That probably won't cover the full cost, but it could be a huge help if ever needed. My other advice is to decide now if you would send your horse for the surgery, and let your vet know your decision, because colic can happen fast and there may not be a lot of time to make the decision. I had already decided (both times) that Target would get colic surgery if he ever needed it. And in both cases he was hit so hard and so fast - or at least that was the way the symtoms were displayed - that it was a good thing that everyone knew what I wanted. That was then, this is now, and at 20 years of age, after 2 surgeries, my decision is different. My vet is also kept informed of my wishes.

Latest posts

Back