How many here just show and not breed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole

Reaction score
I have been thinking of selling my broodmares and just showing. My passion is the showing, I do like having the babies but it's the time and space and I really do prefer the showing.

Just wondering how many here just show and do not breed or have been breeding and got out of it.

If you have is there any regrets???

Aside from one foal last year, we've been showing and not breeding...more by circumstance than choice. My wife lives for shows and won't breed something unless it has a chance to do something in the show arena.

However, that's about to change. We have a stallion that we feel is worth breeding and this will be his last year in show. We've been buying him a few mares and setting up "dates" as well. Next year will be completely different for him.

Now, she's going crazy trying to decide who will be showing next year. She'll never give it up.

If you have the passion that you describe, I would suggest that you consider what we did last year and buy babies with show potential. That is much less time consuming and less stressful. I'm not trying to discourage you from breeding whatsoever but if you lack the time to do it all...do what is most important to you.

We concentrate on showing. In over 15 years of owning minis, we have only had 3 babies. Our third horse was a bred mare, and then a few years later, I bred her again as well as the filly that she had for us after we bought her. We only have 9 horses that are all show quality, and we have never had a stalion. I have no regrets at all that I don't focus on breeding, because showing is what I like to do. If you look at people who own big horses, only a small percentage of them breed. It's only in the minis that practically every owner is also a breeder. I have no regrets that I've only had three foals, and don't have a burning desire to have more.

We've been showing & breeding since 86.. We have gradually downsized in the last several years. This year we are selling 'grand ma" & one of her daughters & that will leave us with two mini broodmares......... We will be concentrating on showing Lee's two shetlands & my one mini mare & an 05 mini colt......... We have averaged & sold 2-3 foals a year which has offset the cost of showing in the past. Hopefully we will have at least one foal a year though because I do love the babies....... We will be showing the R & shetland circuit though because we can't afford the A circuit anymore.

Mememememememmememe..

Have one foal that my mother bred for and her last wish was for one more so I will re-breed the mare in 2006 for a 2007 foal but the mare will then be "given" to my best friend to continue breeding her as she is a phenonmenal mare. Other than that, I want to hit every show going next year !!!

Kim

Me, its so much easier to buy a baby from a good breeder than to breed one myself right now. To long a wait for something that may or may not be what I want.

ME !!!
biggrin.gif
Too many "breeders" out there. My daughter and I show our horses in AMHA.

I have two geldings that I show and I have no plans to get into a breeding program. My Dad and Sandy do have a breeding program so I do get to enjoy the babies too.

[SIZE=14pt]I just have a gelding that I will be showing for the first time!!So I dont breed. But my cousin shows me the babys and it is tempting!!But I dont have the time for a whole herd.We will be breeding my Haflinger filly eventually but she is not a mini. [/SIZE]

For me the whole point of showing is to take animals I have bred in there and win. I cannot imagine showing something I have not bred (and bred it's mother, it's grandmother and so on) I guess I'm just too far in to get out
smile.gif

We sold several mares this year and so only had two foals of our own. We've left all the mares open for next year, and then will look at breeding our three (by then) Hall of Fame mares in the spring. I love the babies and will certainly miss having them next year but, like you, my passion is the showing thing and I would much rather devote my time to that.

Latest posts

Back