How many here insure their horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole

Reaction score
We are from Ontario Canada so if someone in Ontario can lead me in the right direction.

I am looking to insure my horses and just not to sure on where to start?

Thanks

Nicole

you can try any horse association in your area , and yes I did insure my minis this time around. But figured I did not need it and 3 of my minis were hit by a car and the topper is we did not let them out and could not proove that a stranger did so now the owner of the car wants us to pay for damage to his car - not going to but a lesson well learned and we spent money now even on security cameras. So very smart ideal get insurance it does not cost much and less for first time buyers. Mine was 40.00 for the year

I'm in the states, so do not know that this would be helpful, but I insure Destiny & DunIT w/ GenCorp. Christine Phillips is my agent and I've been pleased with the rates and service.

We've been using Colley, Borland & Vale Insurance Brokers out of Unionville, On for about 7 or 8 years. For my 3 horses and trailer it runs us about $300 per year. Plus I also have my OEF membership which comes with liability insurance. If you want the number and contact name just let me know and I'd be more than happy to give it to you.

We've been using Colley, Borland & Vale Insurance Brokers out of Unionville, On for about 7 or 8 years. For my 3 horses and trailer it runs us about $300 per year. Plus I also have my OEF membership which comes with liability insurance. If you want the number and contact name just let me know and I'd be more than happy to give it to you.
Yes Please I would love the info

Thanks

Nicole

My horse who is out on lease is covered with HEP for mortality and major medical. I can't remember how much it was because the lessee pays it, but it wasn't much. Under $100 a year I do believe.

Henry Equestian Plan Insurance

My coverage is almost $1,000 a year, to insure Destiny & DunIT at reasonable amounts for mortality, and both have major medical. It must be a lot different in other countries, because I did shop it around and this is also in line with what it's cost me int he past to insure horses for mortality & major medical.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, I looked up the coverage and it is $90 a year full mortality for my horse to be insured for a value of $3000. Full medical plus surgical coverage is $125 a year for a total of $215 a year to insure him in case of death or illness.

I don't have my policy here but I think the major medical on mine w/ GenCorp is like $200 or $250 (forget which) per horse, and the horses must be worth (documentably) $2,500 or more or they cannot have major medical. Then for the mortality, there is a flat rate you pay for horses $5,000 or less, then a per thousand rate for horses worth (documentably) more than $5,000... I do know when I shopped it, it was in line with other companies for the amounts I wanted in mortality and major medical.

Also, I say this usually anytime the subject of insuring horses comes up because not everyone knows it. So in case it helps someone...

If you choose to insure your horse for only mortality and the horse gets sick or hurt and needs medical attention you cannot afford or do not want to spend the money on, and the horse dies, you will NOT get a mortality payment.

Hi Nicole -- where abouts in ontario are you located?? we are also in ontario-- We use The Ostic Insurance group in Fergus ontario & our horses are insured with Halwell Mutaul Insurance Company-- Guelph Ontario .

We have both a fram policy & a mortality policy. The mortality is the more expensive one but covers them for more things as well.

I use Wilkins Livestock Insurers. Wilkins I'm assuming you are shopping for mortality/theft type insurance versus liability which is generally covered on your home/ranch owner's or renter's insurance. Same for Lightening.

Most equine insurer's use a rate of 3.25% and up of the insured value, and many have a base amount. Wilkin's base is $6,000, or was in the past, perhaps they will write smaller policies. With my policies, I've also gotten a "free" (ha, ha) colic rider which is generally covers up to 50% of the insured value.

I wouldn't necessarily caution anyone to forego major medical, but be aware of using it I guess. I've carried it in the past with another insurer. I dutifully notified them when my horse began undergoing ongoing testing for an intermittent lameness. There are some time limitations, and I was hoping to meet my deductible, and get reimbursed for anything above. It worked as it was supposed to I guess. I met my $250 deductible, they paid the $45 that was in excess, and promply excluded that leg from future coverage in perpetutity. So, from my experience, better hope that you are in for a whopper of a bill in excess of your deductible, and whatever it is, get it fixed right the first time! I certainly didn't get my $120 worth out of my rider, lol.

We are from Ontario Canada so if someone in Ontario can lead me in the right direction.

I am looking to insure my horses and just not to sure on where to start?

Thanks

Nicole
My Friesian is insured through Kay Cassel, who was recomended by the lady I bought her through.

Jessi

We have I think 5 or 6 insured through GenCorp and Christine Phillips is our contact. I would think you could get a policy through them.

Dawn :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back