How many here ground drive thier horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole

Reaction score
I have been groung driving my gelding for about 3weeks now. We are working on suppeling excercises. He has been hooked before, but my question is, he is not working up a sweat and we are working for about 30-45mins every other day. Should I be hooking him up, or continue with the ground work? Maybe the cart would give him a better work out???

My ground work consists of alot of 'S' turns and figuire eights, halt to trot transitions to strengthen his rear.

Is this enough or is there something else I should be doing with him.

Thanks

The more a horse is worked, the better its condition, and the less likely it is to sweat. I don't work my horses into a sweat, as once they are conditioned, I could be out there for hours and never see it...

What I look for is results; am I getting what I am asking for without resentment, and is the horse happy? I don't mean that the horse has to be ecstatic about it's job,
smile.gif
but a willingness to go on, that is what I want. I find that most horses do enjoy their training sessions, as it seems build a confidence and a sense of well-being. I feel it certainly helps create an even deeper bond between myself and the horse... Always end the session on a possitive note...even if you must go back to something very basic to get it.

Most times, my horses work harder on the long-lines, than in harness. In harness is where they really get to enjoy themselves.

I ground drove for about 2 months before I hooked up. Have carted with her for about a month and have the basics down, so I will go back to ground driving to work on extension and collection. To me ground driving is the MOST IMPORTANT part of training. If your just looking to condition, I would say hook him to the cart more weight to pull.

Last edited by a moderator:
Add me to the list of someone who thinks ground driving is SUPER important! Even though my horses might be broke, I do ground drive them a lot... it is different to them but good for them to know. I usually ground drive them for a couple months before I hook them when they are being trained, too.

Andrea

All of my horses older than a year know how to ground drive. It is a great training and conditioning tool. For my two that actually drive, I still use it for training--both for me and for them.

I ground drive a lot to get a horse trained, and well into their driving training when they are actually also hooked to the cart, but once they are going really well I rarely ground drive them. For me, it's much more difficult to keep a steady contact with their mouths without pulling too hard or catching them in the mouth, because I am just not as fast as they are when we are both moving. Even at the walk it isn't easy, and sure not compared to driving. So, unless I am working on something specific that needs ground work, I just hook them up and work them that way. And yes, for a better WORKOUT, unless you are some kind of marathon runner (I'm not, lol) pulling a cart will give them a better workout. I guess I should do MORE ground driving tho-- I could use the exercise too.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

because I am just not as fast as they are when we are both moving.
But I long-line them around me...when really giving them a workout. I do walk behind for obstacle training and teaching them to drag...but other than that, they circle me. Very much the same way as I long-lined when training riding horses, only with a harness instead of a saddle. When done properly there is no more pressure on the bit, than when actually driving. (most times, even less)

Whew...if I had to run to work the horse...I'd be dead...for sure, with my blood pressure.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back