How many have mini donks and horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both. I have 12 mini horses, 2 mini mules and 1 mini Jack. I raise miniatures mules. (As if you didn't know). My mules have a really sweet personality. They both love attention. At times they do act shy but usually come around.

My friends just got 4 mini jennys. One is in foal, which they actually got for me. Unfortunately, I have NO room for her. I want her bad but Rich told me if she has the foal before I can move her, "She is not leaving thier place". They tend to fall head-over-heels with their animals. I know all these guys are in a good home.

hi,

I posted on this earlier, but my post dissappeared, so trying again.

We are in central Wisconsin. We have as of yesterday sold all the miniature horses but one (can't part with my little Rosie!) and are going to concentrate solely on the mini donks.

We currently have 4 jennets and one jack. We have grey, brown, spotted, and sorrel. We are excited to start our expanding donkey program! We've had 3 miniature donkey foals in the 4 years that we've had mini donks and they are so fun and loving.

We also have a mammoth gelding and a large standard gelding. And hoping to adopt a BLM burro soon!

hi donkey group!

I do not have a mini donkey.......yet but am eagerly finding out more information so when I finally find one I will be able to know just how to care for him/her!! yeah!

One person told me that minidonkeys do not winter well here in Wisconsin and I wonder if anyone here has ever heard of that? There seems to be quite a few here in WI, and no one else has ever told me that before.......in fact when I asked it on yahoo donkey group, everyone said as long as they can get out to wind they do just fine.....but want to be properly educated!!!

also if you were to breed them, would you want registered donkeys? and what is the most popular donkey registry?

thanks!! hoping to gain lots of knowledge

Terri

ffminis

We have two mini horses and one mini donkey. I asked for a donkey for Christmas and finally found him last spring. He is named Nicodemus. The sweetest little thing and has such gentle eyes. We did have him gelded after we got him as I am not wanting to raise mules. He is about like having a pet dog follow you around. He does not like cats!

Friski Fields mini, here in Missouri I know Nicodemus does not like being in the wind. He will be in the little barn and the horses will be out running around. I have heard that they can't take the cold like the horses do but I don't know if that is right or not. I would like to hear others opinions on the cold being harder on the donkeys.

Bear/Kay

I keep my donkeys in the barn overnight in winter, and also when our weather gets nasty and cold, otherwise they do go out during the day. I was told too, that the donkeys dont "take" to the cold like the horses do, when I got my first one. Well, not long after that-- it was winter and sure enough (and it WASNT even COLD out yet!!!!) there was my donkey standing by the barn door shaking, so from then on mine have been going in at night. I do have a large very enclosed, shelter with just a door on , but she wouldnt even go in to that. I did buy her from Wisconsin, as a 2 yr. old so it wasnt like this was the first time she seen colder weather, but I do know of a few other donkey owners in Wisconsin, Illinois, and the upper Michigan and they all put there donks in too. So guess I'm just going with the flo........There is a guy not far from me that has horses and donkeys and DOES keep them out all winter with hardly any protection from the elements, his seen to do just fine... but I would feel sorry for them out there!
cheekkiss.gif
I'd like to hear more on this too.
yes.gif

Know last year when it got real cold my Charley would spend lots of time in the shed..But I did not shut him in there he would go in and out..I guess maybe that is why I had him in the house a lot~!
rolleyes.gif
And I would go out and just "feal" his ears and see how cold they were..My sheds are more then just 3 sided..They are just like a barn with out a small door to close so there are almost inclosed I guess..I am also of thinking of maybe hanging those heavy duty plastic stips in the opening...That would keep out most of the wind also..I did have nice water heater in the tank that would keep the water sort of well all most warm about 43 degress so he did have fairly warm water to drink.

007e3b44.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two jennies in my herd of miniature horses. Dolly Parton a 34" 14 yr old gray/cross and then her foal Loretta Lynn now 3yrs 33" also a gray/cross and star. Sort of thinking about looking a spotted jack to add with them.

Frisky Fields - I have TOLD you that mini donks (any donks for that matter) don't like the cold, some tolerate it real well, but others don't. WHy do you think I just sold my best two jennets to a southern state? One frostbit off half her ear and two inches off her tail and that's before it was even really cold (before christmas). Maybe now that other people are saying it too, you'll believe it.

I'm so happy that there is now a donkey forum. I've been reading the mini horse forum for about three months now and truly enjoy it and have learned a great deal. I'm new to minis. I have three mini horses, Tiki 10 months old, Nikki 9 months old, Dandi Dan 10 months, and my mini donkey Dudley who was born on the fouth of July of this year. Tiki was my first mini, I went to buy a donkey but there was none available yet. But one was due any day so I told the breeder I would take it, to call when it was born. I went looking around the property and seen this beautiful little pinto filly who was only two months old. I knew I had to have her. A week after I bought Tiki I got a call from the breeder that a little male donkey had just been born. He was only 5 hours old when I first seen him and he was just beautiful. He walked right over to me and I fell in love. I love all my minis, but there is just something so special about a donkey.

Maybe dreamsmini's it is the story that goes along with the donkey that makes them soooo irresistible and appealing~!
smile.gif

2c3761b8.jpg

YIKES..........I am not here to get slammed, just trying to gain some knowledge and this seems to be a great place to do that!!??

thank you!!

Terri

ffminis

hey Bear,

is your donkey the Nicodemous that was featured on Animal Planets pet story? just curious if is the the same donkey!!!!

take care

Terri

ffminis

Oh frisky,, don't take to heart
upset.gif
..Just because some people are a little strong on the language
sad2.gif
...Mine has been out in the cold for almost 5 years without any trouble,,But like that person did say "some handle it some don't" But then to go on and on was really not called for
sad.gif
...Let it roll off your back and have fun with these Long Ears~! I also am on 3 donkey forums in Yahoo..I am going to get another donk this spring from the same farm that I did before, in Pittsville, WI. His seem to be able to handle the cold as they are in big fields to run...He does have a shelter barn but for the most part they are outside and healthy..These are very hardy critters that have been around for years some shelter to get in out of the cold wind and what we are gettin now cold rain mixed with snow yucky stuff..They do just fine..They are not dumb animals and will seek out a shelter and do great. We are all friends here and hope to stay that way for a long time
thumbup.gif
In fact I just signed up today to get DSL
rolleyes.gif
It will take about 2 weeks yet before I get it but htne I shall be able to do the interent even more and faster
whistling.gif

Frisky Fields, no it isn't that donkey but that is where I got the name from. Wasn't that a great show! I have written to the people that owned that particular Nicodemus but never did hear anything back from them.

Bear/Kay

hA! yes, that was a great show.................... Ya know they once had an ad for donkeys for sale, and I did talk to him or her?? and they seemed like real nice people........It was like talking to celebraties!!! lol!!

great NAME.....

thanks

Terri

ffminis
yes.gif

We only have one jenny less than a year old that I bought for my husband for his birthday. Her name is Dixie Belle, but I call her Squeaker. Like R3's jenny she hasn't found her voice yet and she squeaks and barks everywhere. I don't know if this is true for all donkeys but she seems to talk alot more than our mini's. She will see you coming and start up squeaking and barking. She does have the sweetest face, my husband is crazy about her.

I've got one gelded little fella. He is just the most curious little donkey. He runs with my 8 miniature horses and forever is causing trouble. He always pulls the hose out of the troughs when I am not looking. Bites everybody in the hocks, then runs like the wind, races the fence line teasing my 2 big jennys on the other side. I think he wakes up in the morning thinking what trouble he can cause today. I love him and wouldnt want in any other way.

Hello, Group! My friend, Minimules told me you all were here. This is great news!

To answer the current question, we have 10 mini horses and now, 4 mini jennies(one of those is pregnant) AND, we have a Haflinger and 2 riding mules.

StarWish

Hey welcome StarWish! You'll have fun here!

How's Maria doing?

Minimules,

Thanks for asking about Maria and for the "welcome" to the forum. Maria is doing well. She sure didn't like getting her WNV shot today, though. Horse cookies helped her get over it!

StarWish

Latest posts

Back