How many driving horses do we have here now?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of our 27 head of horses - 21 are broke to drive.

Most of then as teams and all drive single.

The remaining 6 are brood mares or are too young to start.

WOW! Keep 'em coming. Look at us- we are growing into a force to be reckoned with
default_wink.png

We can tally them up in a few days and see where we are at. And I see a few new names
default_smile.png
Welcome!
default_saludando.gif

Angie

one tried and true, one driving about a year, and one to start this fall.

I have 2 that drive - Chip - 12 yr old "been there, done that" a great teacher and now my spare
default_smile.png

Magic -now 5 and competing in driving trials

4 yr old , Cinco is going to the trainer this fall .

Elizabeth

I have 5 trained to drive altho one of those is my new guy who I have yet to confirm the extent of his actual training so perhaps I should say 4 and one maybe and one who is being long lined still.

I was going to say "two" but given the precedent others have set, I guess I have to say 1.5!
default_laugh.png
On the other hand technically all my horses have driven. Spyder (my Arab) did, Kody's a many-time Preliminary Level CDE champion and WCP winner, and Turbo who is only 3 is ground-driving like a champ both single and double and is well on his way through his dressage training. The only thing I haven't done is actually hitch him to the cart! LOL. And that should be coming within the next week or two as soon as I have some help available.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Until about a week ago I had three horses, two driving horses. One is a standard sized quarter horse my daughter rides she doesn't drive; a 42" shetland gelding that drove but I sold just the other day so he doesn't count toward the official count here; and a mini B mare named Maggie my daughter drives. She drives but still needs some polishing and finishing and will be going back into training (hopefully) in the next month or two to get finished. So --- I guess I have .5 driving horse.

I have 1 that is very green broke. only put to cart maybe a dozen times, but we are working on that. Love hearing all your adventures and learning lots from everyone here.
default_wub.png
Would really like to someday drive a finished horse. There's not many out in this neck of the woods that I have connected with that drive minis. Only one that I know of that shows. Sometimes I wonder what I'm doing
default_wacko.png
. We have 4 minis. Two older broodmares, one stallion, and one 3yr old filly. The stallion is the one that I've put to the cart. Green +Green, has been very slow going, but thank goodness no black and blue.

All three of ours drive to some degree- my old fellow is finished and been-there-done that, Gypsy 12 h pony is green and Katie (in my avatar) is back to ground driving after a cart incident.

I have 1 that is in training to drive (professionally) and the other one I am training and is doing basic ground driving now--so I guess that equals 2. But neither can pull a cart yet.

Hey everybody!

My 14 year old daughter showed me how to get photos from my phone to the computer! I'm so excited....I thought I had to take the camera out, find the connector cord to download. This is so easy! I have 1.5 driving horses here. Shelterwood's Sasha, my 3 year old mare, silver dapple (the one with bad sweet itch, she looks pretty good right now!), and Shelterwood's Sitka AKA Sissy, my 2 year old sorrel and white pinto. They are full sisters, one year apart, so I'm told. They aren't registered, I just thought adding our kennel name to their names made them sound official!! Sasha is green to driving, but this is year two for her, and we have progressed to lateral work, some basic collection, and rein backs. We've been out on the road a bit with a handler for safety, and trotting some serpentines. Sissy is just in long lines and bitting rig, hasn't been hitched. Hopefully by fall she'll be ready for some beginning driving. They are both a bit chunky right now, but we have loooong winters with record setting lows for weeks at a time, (-20-30 degrees below zero) so a little chunk is okay with me. Just need to get them out driving more!!

Hope the pictures show up right!

Katie

downsized_0814111421.jpg

downsized_0814111421b.jpg

For the first time in many years, all of our horses are now broke to drive...some more so than others. So last count:

Bandito CDE and Country Pleasure winner

Fanny Leased to be a brood mare

Duckie CDE competitor

Breezy CDE competitor and Country Pleasure ribbon winner, now paired with TKO

TKO Paired with Breezy

Buddy CDE and Breed Ring winner

Steps CDE and near his HOF in single pleasure, national champion in Country Pleasure

Reveille CDE and AMHR country pleasure Stakes winner

and

Rex Will compete country pleasure and maybe CDE next year.

The really exciting thing is that at Happ's this year, of the 29 VSE that competed, 7 either lived now or in the past on this farm. In that group was one Intermediate competitor, 2 in pre

preliminary( one the winner), and four in training (the second place horse, third place horse and fourth place horse (thank you Marie))

We are sooooo blessed.
default_wub.png

I had two, Elvis and Romeo, up till about two hours ago!!! I added a new horse, Rio, and he drives. Pics and introduction soon.

so 3 for me.

We currently have 2 driving and one almost ready to make it three. We also have our last one, Claybury Framed By Reign (Eddy) ready for Lori to start training this fall after Nationals.

Here is our first mini Peek. Lori trained him 3 years ago and our whhole family learned on him and Nick will be showing him soon I think/hope.

CNEMiniShow130.jpg

This is Fleur (JEM Break N Pattern)This picture was taken last fall, her first year driving. Lori is driving her in this pic so here are also two more horses that Lori have driving on her farm.
default_smile.png

145.jpg

Duke (JEM Duke It Out) is almost there.

401.jpg

Eddy will begin this fall.
default_smile.png

NationalAreaIIshow-GreenvilleOhio110.jpg

Trey.jpgHere is my one and only miniature horse, Trey. Gotta love him. Debbie

We have 4 that drive. Monte, my newest stallion, has been driven lots in shows but I have not personally driven him yet. Magnum is my driving boy that I show and is over halfway to his HOF in WCPD. Carrie is one of our broodmares that drives, I get her out for a trail drive around the pond and fields occasionally. Our Buck Echo son, Echo, is the other that drives, I broke him out myself but we have only ever just trail driven him. Plan to break out a couple more next year!

Back