how many dogs do you have

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have two border collies....Belle (abandoned on our property) and Cayden. I loved Belle so much but she is her fathers daughter
biggrin.gif
I wanted one that would be attached to me. So we got Cayden almost three years ago at 9 weeks.

Belle is my husbands hunting dog, she retreaves doves, ducks, and even the decoys from the water.

Cayden comes from a long line of champion herding dogs and showed it at a few months old as he liked to crouch down and stalk Belle.
laugh.gif

CaydenNBelle051105RS.jpg

Belle is in the back fast asleep and Cayden is the precious one looking at the camera, all tucked in and cozy on their beds
wub.gif

I have 3 dogs. 2 are "indoor" dogs...

Molly is a spayed female Boston Terrier that will be 3 in December,

Mvc-224f.jpg

and Baylee is a 9.5 year spayed female Boxer.

Mvc-225f.jpg

This is Bear our neutered 9 month old Great Pyrenees pup. He is strictly an outdoor dog. We bought him specifically to guard the minis and so far is doing a wonderful job!

bear.jpg

As for how many is too many...I feel that as long as you have the room, the love, and the financial means to support them, there there really should not be a limit placed on how many one should home.

Some people however, do not realize that they do not have all of this to offer, and soon find themselves in over their heads, even though they are meaning well. They have such STRONG love for animals, that someotimes they just can't see beyond that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of feel like a crazy person when this comes up, but Harvey and I have SIX dogs!!!

We have 4 shih-tzu's, but see, you can apply "mini logic" here. It takes about four of them to add up (weight wise) to one "real" dog... Plus, they do not shed so that's a good thing.

Then we have a lab x chow puppy who I think is about 1yo now (adopted) and our blue merle collie puppy, who is about 4.5mos. The "big" dogs spend most of their time outside in the fenced yard but they do sleep inside.

Well, we have 5 now. And they are as follows:

Tristan, the one you see on my avatar. She is MY baby all the way, and I just brought her home a leather Packers collar that she looks so cute in. She's 3 years old and can't date until she receives her first social security check.

Keisha, my mom's (qtrrae) German Sheherd, very overweight, but one of the most loyal dogs ever. She's about 10.

Khyzer, my mom's male German Shepherd (and therefore the only one kept outside). He's so hyper even though he's about 8 now. He loves to do this really loud whine/bark thing whenever he makes a friend (meaning if you pet him, you're his friend).

Mya, a 3 year old sheltie that we got from my brother and sister-in-law who used to show shelties and now have boxers. (She lives up to the blonde thing very well.)

and our new addition, Samantha, a toy poodle that mom just brought home from Saturday's mini auction. Someone was going to take her to the pound, but she'd so cute, only 5 years old, and she's in perfect health, so mom took her!

Well, at the risk of having to fight some severe flames, here's my list. I currently have 11
new_shocked.gif

Snoopy, 9 y/o beagle mix who got hit by a car when she was just a year old. Cost me a fortune to get her put back together.

Binky, 7 y/o bassett hound. She's Snoopy's best buddy. They're getting grouchy in their old age.

Sadie, 4 y/o special needs golden retriever.

Lady, mutt that wandered into my mom's yard as a puppy. Also 4 y/o and Sadie's best buddy. I think she's part coyote.

Bell, 2 y/o mutt that we pulled out of a drainage ditch as a puppy in 95* weather, nearly died from mange. Couldn't afford vet b/c hubby was on chemo. Very cranky!

Scruffy, young dog that hubby found on the side of the highway dehydrated and sick.

Then there was a litter of young dogs dumped on me. There are 5 of them. Princess looks like a short german shepherd and is my house dog. She got really sick and had to have vet care which I got for her. She nearly died but has come back wonderfully.

The other young dogs that came with her are Ringo (male), Dot (male), Brownie (male), Steeley (female).

People keep dumping dogs out here and at this point, it's about all I can do to feed them. I'm definately running out of room, but I can't stand to see them on the highway. Out of the 11 dogs, Princess and the older ones are "lifers" because most of them have "issues" that I don't feel like anyone else would have the patience to deal with. One of these days, our county will get their humane society built and hopefully that'll help, but I don't know when they'll be breaking ground on it. For now, I'm doing what I can to help the ones that I can. If a major vet bill were to come up with one of the dogs, I would probably have to have them humanely put down but I'll deal with that and make that decision if it ever comes.
yes.gif
Please don't flame. Until you've been here and seen what goes on, you have no idea.

Currently I have 5 dogs. Has been as high as 7.

1 female Anatolian Shepherd 10 yrs. (spayed) "Melek" means Angel in Turkish
wub.gif

1 male Anatolian Shepherd 10 yrs. "Yoldas" means: friend, fellow traveler in Turkish
wub.gif

1 femald Anatolian Shepherd 7 yrs daughter of the two above. "Hayli" means pretty.
wub.gif

1 female Aus Cattle Dog 7 - 8 yrs old (humane society refugee)
yes.gif
spayed. "Maggie"
wub.gif

1 male Tibetan Spaniel almost 4 yrs "Falkor"
wub.gif
(do you remember the movie,"The Never Ending Story.?" well, the Luck Dragon , whos name is Falkor, has the head of a dog that looks like a Tibby. He is not just a dog, he is part alien, part gremlin, part who knows what. Makes strange noises and does things that are just weird.
unsure.gif

I really want another Rottie
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
but won't add to these guys till I lose a couple. I will always have at least 1 Anatolian Shephard as long as I have mini's.
yes.gif

Robin

Just the one for now, a nutered male Australian Shepherd, who owns the place and all the other critters on it. He allows me access.
rolleyes.gif
(I do have many-many cats though...I am THE cat-lover!!)

I am seriously considering a Great Pyr, soon, as Kodi-Dog is 9, and I figure he has a lot to teach a young dog before he begins to slow down.
wub.gif

11 here:

9 Salukis

Trulee - 12-1/2 (she made lots of new friends at the Nationals)

Suede - 10

Cherish - 9

Tasia - 5

Risque - 5

P.Cee - 5

Fiddah - 4

Ruben - 2

Sybil - 2

Two Siberians

Rudy - 9

Jada - 7

We tried for a couple of years to place the Siberians but nobody ever turned up who was responsible enough, so they are now here for the duration.

I used to show Siberians years ago, and have shown Salukis for the past 12 years.

We plan to buy a new Saluki puppy this winter and will breed our next litter in the fall of 2006.

I'd love to have a small dog like a Cavalier but for the price they get for them - I'd rather buy a horse.
smile.gif

Shelley

Well I have my schipperke female who is 2, Bob has his new brittany puppy, Jessie, and then I am still hoping Shain gets to keep Sweet William, the hound mix. He really took a liking to Shain last nite and is constantly following him around. Husband called last nite and I told him about the "dog" and he said he saw him kinda when he left at 4:30am Sun, but it was dark and he wasn't sure, thought of stopping, but was was running late. Actually said if Shain wants him he can stay.
aktion033.gif
(like I needed permission
rolleyes.gif
)

Oh I just love this!!! It's so fun to read about all the types of dogs, and I just love all the fun names!

Well I have 3

1 terrier mix 10yr Koney
wub.gif

1 Airedale 2yr Lucy
wub.gif

And 1 Shih-tzu mix puppy that someone dropped off in the middle of our road and my husband almost hit! His name is Budley-Dudley!
wub.gif

As to how many you should have, I agree with everybody! If you can properly care for them and give them the attention they deserve go for it!
biggrin.gif

Leya

One English Mastiff, Maggie, who is 8

One chiuahua, Taco (I did not name her) who is 5

One yorkie, Tina Marie, who is 3

A female papillon, Lucy (aka Lucifer) who is a little over 1

A male papillon, Rusty (who I saved his previous owners from him) who is 3

If you count litters with Maggie having 17 pups her first litter, then 16 pups her second litter and finally her third she had 18 pups had to have c-section last time so I had them fix her while they were digging around. If you would count them all at one time and add the other mastiffs I had then (Mastiffs life expectency 8 to 10 years) I probably had 26 here at one time. Shew, thats alot of scooping!

Fran

Here is a pic of Maggie and her last litter.

'>My Webpage

I have 3 dogs.

A 7 year old spayed minpin, Minuette.

A 6 year old spayed schipperke, Little Bear.

A 4 year old poodle cross (he was supposed to be born a purebred--yeah, someone goofed) neutered male, Munchie.

Love them all dearly. Have been thinking of selling my house to be nearer my minis but what about my dogs? my sister said she would take 2 of them (that is where i have my minis) but she thinks my schipperke does not like her.......Little Bear is just a 1 person dog, I guess, but LOVES the farm! so, no idea what to do. this is what is keeping me from selling the house.....oops, off topic!

jennifer
saludando.gif

We showed dogs several years. At one time we had 16 dogs. ALL were show dogs. 6 diffrent breeds. The kids started showing horses more than dogs. So we sold all of the dogs but one and bought more miniature horses.

We had Shar Peis, Itialian Greyhounds, Greyhounds, dachshounds, Blue healers, Border collie.

I'm looking for a show quality small dog. So if any of you have any Reg. small dog. I'm looking for a show dog. I like several of the small dogs.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Every neighbor around me has several and every single one is a nuisance. Constant barking, constant chasing ( cars, horses, while riding etc) and they get the cows down pretty often. No one takes responsibility for the damage they do, killing my chickens, running my horses etc.

So, on to your question. I dont think there is a number, per se, that is 'too much'. I think that if you do not keep them contained/quiet/healthy, then even one is too much. If you take care of them, keep them contained and happy, keep them healthy and fat and QUIET so they dont bug your neighbors, then have at it
yes.gif

I have 3. A wonderful 3 year old Dobeman female-fixed, the cutest pembroke corgi female fixed and the dumbest yellow lab male fixed. I just love dogs. I am fostering a male long hair Jack Russell for a local shelter. He is great dog, housetrained, does tricks and update on everything, but he needs a home.
wink.gif

We have 2 pembroke welsch corgi now.. I have had as many as 10 dogs before - and that was a PACK -- did not work well with the Cats (they loved them but the pack mentality caused them to kill some)

So.. will personally keep the number to no more than 3

JJay

We have 3 dogs, and that is PLENTY. I do not have much patience for ill-mannered dogs that chase horses or tear up things. I don't want any more than that, but I do like these three boys. All three of them fit in well at our farm.

Jasper is our Pembroke Welsh Corgi, my constant companion and farm friend.

jasperfriends.jpg

Zeus is our 150# Anatolian Shepherd, the guardian of all creatures at our farm.

zeusfriends.jpg

Also our rescue puppy, Rupert, is a Catahoula Cur.

070705Rupert.jpg

Right now i just have my one mini daschund. Which is a nice change after caring for 16 puppies, plus 4 adult dogs
new_shocked.gif
wacko.gif
unsure.gif

Latest posts

Back