how many cookies?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannigirl

Reaction score
Hi,

I decided to try the coconut cookies for a horse that has had loose poops for a week or so now. Got some this morning and hope that he will eat them. I put some broken ones in his feed dish. We don't usually give our 'babies' cookies and such because we use them for pony rides a lot and --even though we watch and try to avoid it--many little people put little fingers by their mouths and noses and we don't want any of our horses thinking these little fingers are cookies or other goodies. For that reason, I don't know if my little guy will even eat the cookies, but if he does (I do get long winded now and again), how many do I give him. I broke 4 for him and figured I would give him more if he ate those. I realize that none of you will answer as a vet and that this is an old home remedy and that I need to take my horse to a vet for actual diagnosis. I was just wondering how many cookies you would give a large B size mini if he was yours. He is eating good and waits to be fed every morning and night. He also loves to go out and play everyday with his buddies--and none of his buddies has loose poops--so this is mostly a minor problem right now. Not really watery, just really loose.

Thanks for your help.

Angie

I do give my boys treats though. They love the Parina treat called "Nicker Makers" Can't keep enough of them around. And they get them only in the barn or stall or occasionally when they are done working and standing in the trailer.

I don't have any comments on the coconut cookie theory, but just want to share my own personal experience as a horse owner.

2 years ago my horse had loose manure and I cannot tell you how quickly her electrolytes got unbalanced, and how quickly she crashed. She never acted "sick" and was never off her feed.

Not to scare you, not to give you advice, just letting you know my own personal experience that you may want to call your vet.

Liz R.

Sigh...
rolleyes.gif
well I WILL help you. When we say the coconut cookies we usually intend them for "loose" poop. Not the hershey squirt kind. Loose poop can be caused by so many seasonal things and I always try cookies, some pepto and some probios, before the vet. Yes this is an old fashioned wives tale perhaps but several of us have tried it and it worked!

SO..while I am not a vet...yadda yadda yadda...the 4 cookies are ok but no more today. Usually we go with 2 am and 2 pm and see how it does. Qtrrae uses em and so does Reo!

If anyone out there is unhappy with my "prescribing cookies" tough cookies!
biggrin.gif

Thanks,

So far the silly horse hasn't really eaten any of the cookies, but we did not give him much feed this evening and poured it on top of his cookies. We shall see if he he eats by morning. Oh, and his poops are more the cow patty type than the melted hersheys chocolate, throught the eye of a needle at twenty paces type.
laugh.gif
Thanks again for the info. Will let you know how things work out.

Have a great evening

Angie

Latest posts

Back